Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by douglaspreston

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by douglaspreston
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: douglaspreston
Cruise Date: March 2010
Embarkation: Albany
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

DON'T TRAVEL WITHOUT INSURANCE
How excited were we both to be sailing from Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand. My travel companion was unable to get medical travel insurance but we felt that the risk was extremely low as we were travelling in our own Australian States and visiting New Zealand, that have reciprocal medical agreement. If my companion was to become ill and in need of medical assessment, then it would only be a matter of approx 12-20 hrs before we arrived at a port. A risk worth taking.

Our cabin was a Junior Suite with wheelchair access, extremely roomy and capable of maneuvering a wheelchair with ease. The bathroom had no bath, but a very large shower recess with rails and a seat. Ideal for anyone travelling with a disability or medical condition. The balcony was also half the size again of the regular Junior Suite Balcony. The cabin location was very close to the lifts. There was no-where on the ship that the wheelchair could not go. The staff on the ship were fantastic the way that they attended to not only our needs but to any passenger that required a little extra.

The ship itself was extremely well maintained and constantly had staff attending to any small issue.

We did not require it, but I did make mental notes of how staff attended to the needs of other impaired passengers. Waiters in both the Windjammer and formal dinning room were only too willing to cut up the meal for any passenger requiring it. The access of disable toilets were everywhere and so easy to cope with. The Broadway Theatre has location for wheelchairs and so does the casino

Overall I would have to give this ship a score of 9/10 for managing disabled passengers.

EXCEPT: Medical Costs. Unfortunately, my partner did take seriously ill and needed the attention of the Medical Clinic. This clinic is well staff and well appointment and did a wonderful job of managing my companion until he was put ashore in New Zealand. It is the cost that was absolutely to the extreme. The fees are based on the American Medical Association I believe. If this is the case then I would never want to be ill in the USA. Three days cost over $16,000 US dollars. The only part of our trip that had three days at sea prior to hitting a port. Just bad timing. I appreciate how ill my partner was and what dedicated service the doctors and staff performed. I just want to warn other passengers not to travel if you do not get insurance unless you are so financial. We are not financial, we put everything into this trip. Saved really hard knowing that this would be our last cruise or trip. We took a chance and lost.

INTERNET: This cabin does connect with WiFi. The internet is extremely slow and therefore makes it very expensive as you are paying per minute and not on down/up loading. There are several 'hotspots' on the ship if you are wanting you use your own laptop.

OVERALL: Apart from the Medical issue, we loved the ship, the itinery and the friendliness of the staff.

Publication Date: 04/11/10