Eurodam 5

“This cruise was a blessing!”
Cruise review of Holland America Eurodam

CruisinVA
Member Since 2010

Overall Member Rating

We took this cruise, because we booked it for the Don Moen and Friends package. We brought our 6 and 8 year old boys with us, but I didn't check out cruise critic until a week before the cruise. I'm so glad our experience wasn't like so many others. We have nothing but wonderful things to say!

Traveling with children aboard the Eurodam - First I'll address this, because first of all - this was not the old age cruise everyone had mentioned. Though there weren't many young children, there was always a small group in Club Hal. My boys were in two separate groups, but the comment "they just stick them in front of the TV" was not true for us. They got to make sushi in the ships' teaching kitchen, and each had their own evening "extravaganza" - a pirate one, and a spy one - which they loved! They played ball, Wii, games, did crafts - it was a hoot - AND the staff were fabulous!

Food - Although we may not be in the "upper echelon" of food eaters - my husband and I love a More good meal. And I'm gluten free - which is a bit challenging. We thought the food in the main dining room was wonderful - as did the family sitting with us. We had two nights of room service (another negative on this site). Room service was prompt, friendly, correct in the order, and tasty. What a great time, watching Get Smart (free DVDs by the dozens) in our room eating a great meal! We never made it to the fancy restaurants, but saw no need to spend extra money, when even the buffet - which we hit on lobster/shrimp cocktail night - satisfied all four of us very well.

Cleanliness on the ship - there was a comment about this as well - we saw absolutely nothing out of place during our entire stay. Except when my son threw up in the Explorer's Lounge. But it was cleaned in minutes!! : )

Ports - I didn't find the 3 stops a joke at all! Unfortunately, the waters were too rough at the Bahamas stop, so we missed that one, but we went snorkeling with stingrays in Turks and Caicos, to an awesome rainforest with a fabulous tour guide in San Juan, and snorkeling in one of the finest spots in the Caribbean - Trunk Bay, St. John, at the St. Thomas spot. Not a single excursion was cancelled for lack of participation as mentioned by others. We had a marvelous time - all 4 of us - at each stop.

The Spa - my husband and I enjoyed the facilities numerous times including a scrub and massage (eat at the regular dining facility and splurge on one of these with your savings!). The heated seats, sauna, and whirlpool room were all a treat, if a bit pricey to sign up for. They don't tell you, but they offer a single use visit a few times for a much more reasonable price.

My son got the GI bug on our last day (the day we didn't visit Half Moon Cay). The doctor was wonderful, and they escorted us with fabulous service off the ship 7 am the next morning. It was awesome! They evidently had been getting this GI bug all over Ft. Lauderdale, and 4 ships got hit the week we went. We were onboard with a Christian group of about 250, so perhaps the power of prayer was in evidence. Even my son's illness was minor.

We wouldn't have picked this line/ship otherwise, as we've never travelled Holland America - but we're very glad we did! Less

Eurodam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: March 2010
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

F
We "splurged" for a room with a 4x4 window. We don't pay lots for rooms, in general. It housed the four of us very nicely. We each got our own bed - and plenty of sleep! There is a bed that comes down from the wall, which worked well, if you remembered to duck your head. It was quiet, and we enjoyed looking out the window. The TV was great for the few movies we watched, too.

Published 04/11/10

Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review

Eurodam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?