Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Blongers: Most likely wont sail on Star again....

Blongers
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Mexican Riviera Cruises

Most likely wont sail on Star again....

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Well Lets start off by going on the first night. I paid for the Honeymoon/anniversary package with the expectation that all the "stuff" for the first night would be in the room when we got in. There was nothing in the room. I call down and they said "sorry we will bring that right up". We waited 30 minutes and gave up went walking. Come back to the room a couple hours later and all that came was the chocolate covered strawberries. We called again and they apologized for not bringing the wine and would bring it asap. I then tried our safe which was broke. So I call front desk and they said they would send someone. 30 min later we got our wine but no one came for the safe. We waited 2 hours and then just left to go do some more wandering and learning about the ship. Spent about 2 hours away and STILL no one fixed the safe. So we called again and this time they were there in 5 minutes. Then Tuesday they were supposed to bring the hors d'oeuvres by 6 pm. We waited until 7pm and called. We More will bring those right up. Waited another hour and decided to go to the hot tub. Came back about 45 minutes later and there they were. Then the room cleaners broke one of our glass's in the room and did not clean up all the glass as I got a piece in my foot while walking around the room. The only real service I got on this ship was in the Le Bistro dinner for two I got. I had never been to a "real" restaurant and wow this one blew me away. Food was awesome and service was top notch. So the beginning part of this review made me fell the $12/day per person for gratuity was WAY overpriced. It was closer to needing to be $5/day per person with how poor the service was. The people cleaning the room made one mistake and that was the glass but other than that they were good.

The ship itself was kind of boring. They only had shows at 7pm and 9pm in the stardust theatre but those were entertaining. Hard to imagine acting like that while the ship is rocking. The spinnaker lounge was a big smoke hazard so I could not go in there since it reeked so bad of smoke. I did not want anything to do with the art gallery/ auctions as well I dont have any interest in art and I did kind of get tired of having Jewelry pushed down my throat just about everyday. The chess board was cool but there was always someone on it. The ONE pool was always full of kids and it was even hard to get into one of the 5 hot tubs. Plus the track was a pain to run on. Most people ran early morning but I ran 10pmish and there was still one or 2 others running with me. The track is only wide enough for 1 person so you cant pass and 2 lengths. You can pass on the two curves. Plus there were a few drunks that could not understand why I kept pushing them into the glass on the JOGGING ONLY track and all they were doing was stumbling around. It was nice, however, to have a place to exercise :D.

The food well there was PLENTY of food. Problem is the kids section had better food than the adult section. Yeah you got to bend over to get the food but it was better than eating the crap they had on the "adult" foods. Out of 7 days there was good food only 3 of those. Then when the outside deck had steak they did not have it inside. There were two barbecues my wife and I went to and those were awesome outside on the deck :D. I also did not buy any drinks because I felt that I should not have to pay them gratuity to get me a beer at the bar when I was already paying $12/day per person. They say cruising is cheaper than going on a vacation???? Not sure how they came up with that but I spent more on this cruise with just my wife and I than I have on the last 3 vacations I have taken with my 4 children included.

So next cruise I pick IF I go on one (which I most likely wont thanks to this experience) I will make sure and look at every detail of the ship to see what kind of fun stuff they have on it (like knee board pool). I can say I did meet a few people on this ship and that was a fun experience. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight

We had a 9th floor balcony close to mid-ship. The problem with the room is it had 2 twin beds instead of 1 queen bed. We slid the two beds together but you could still feel the crack between the two beds. the room was very small but I guess when all you do is sleep in there it does not need to be big. The balcony was kind of nice but again too small since you could not fold out both chairs to lay down on the balcony. You could not even fold one down all the way.

We took the Snorkel and Sail to Santa Maria cove. AWESOME excursion. The hour of snorkeling seemed to go WAY to quick. The captain was a funny and awesome guy. After snorkeling we got fed and it had open bar. Was a wonderful time. This port is a tender port so you have to have shuttles back and forth between the ship and the shore. Got my picture taken under the Cabo Wabo sign but we did not go into the bar because it was PACKED. The culture was very interesting and different to us so it was cool to walk around town. Though we did notice lots of morons running out in front of cars going down the street. I wish we could have spent more time here but the ship did not have a very long tender. We had to be back aboard the ship by 5:30pm and well we got in line at 5pm and barely made it by 5:30pm. This is definitely a place I would like to visit for a few days.

Scary place. We did the hike to the lighthouse and that was a very interesting, thought provoking, and fun hike. The scenery and views from the beginning to the end of the hike were AMAZING. This is the place were the Mexican army was everywhere carrying guns. Made my wife and I kind of nervous so we just went back to the shops by port after our hike. We got some good deals on some items in those shops and then got back on the ship. It might be a nice place but there were so many houses with garbage piled up around them and glass on the fences surrounding the houses we just did not feel safe. Even the port water was very dirty.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

This was the best port. We took the Extreme Canopy Adventure and it was AWESOME. Lots of fun from beginning to end. The guides were very entertaining and knowledgeable all while taking their job and our safety seriously. We then went on the Rhythms of the Night and AWESOME food is what I can say. Plus the show was great. The ship was open bar so I drank a little too much. I did not get a chance to go into town itself but it is very commercialized so the bartering we were able to do in Mazatlan would not be easy in Puerto Vallarta unless you could find the little shops. They had a Walmart, Sams Club, Malls and quite a few other stores you could see from the fenced in port. Puerto Vallarta is definitely going to by my next vacation with the whole family.