Silver Wind Cruise Review by narob: South African and Mozambique Odyssey!

narob
Member Since 2000

Compare Prices on Silver Wind Africa Cruises

South African and Mozambique Odyssey!

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Africa
Embarkation: Cape Town

As previous Silversea cruisers, we were very excited to be joining the Silver Wind on February 2nd out of Cape Town after our private 10 day safari in Namibia and short stay in at a great new modern boutique hotel-- Harbour Bridge Hotel and Suites in Cape Town. Try and visit Namibia before it changes. Namibia has some of the most diverse landscapes in Africa. Dunes 1000 feet tall, game parks, dramatic coastlines, shipwrecks, etc.. . Plus try and save your money to do a private safari. There is nothing like the feeling of telling your guide, that you need a few more perfect shots of that rhino in Etosha game park and not worry about offending someone else in your group. Well maybe, my husband got a little tired of my 2000-3000 pictures taken in the month we were in Africa. ----And our guide called me, Mrs.Spielberg on the next to last day of our trip. What the heck! Doesn't everyone carry 5 cameras/camcorders?

We took a great all day excursion with Rob of the Cape Convoys More Tours in Cape Town, plus the next morning he took me at no charge (my dear husband slept in) with others up to get the cable car up Table Mountain. We hadn't been able to go there because of the clouds, which covered Table Mountain for about 10 days. After we came down, the line to get up the mountain was 3 hours long.

Well enough about the pre-cruise experiences, we got on the Wind and were shown our suite along with our room attendant and butler (female). Believe it or not, our butler got seasick---thought that was cute, plus she was new and it showed with service issues. Things happen. Did that dampen our cruise--heck, no. Never had a bad cruise, just some better, than others.

I wish I cared about drinking more, but alas I told the butler to load the refrigerator with fruit juices. You can have anything within reason ie. Grey Goose, champagne, Scotch, wines, etc. all okay.

The food was good, but not as memorable as our last Silversea cruise on the Shadow. The size of the Wind is great with just under 300 passengers.

We lost one port due to high winds and waves, but since it was our last one before the disembarking port, that was okay. No one wants to tender in 12 ft seas, besides we had a great "dolphin safari" after we left the port area.

Would we go on another Silversea cruise---sure, but only if it is discounted and has a really interesting itinerary.

If you would like to see some photos from the trip, please free free to email me ---shesurfs@comcast.net. Less

Read more Silver Wind cruise reviews >>