Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by teninodad

Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4e

Never a bad Cruise
First of all this is basicly a nit pick of a great time. It's hard to find fault with seven days in the sun, but I'll try :-)

First embarkation and debarkation-- OK and awful. We were called a couple of days before the cruise and told not to arrive before 2 PM, we were driving from relatives house in Ontario (California) so it was no problem to adjust and we arrived exactly at 2, processed fairly quickly and were aboard by 3. Debarkation was totally screwed up. Since we were carrying our own baggage off the ship they called us first, there was a backup somewhere and they just kept calling additional decks. Elevators were jammed, stairwells were jammed, open areas were jammed. It took nearly two hours to get off -- yuk.

The decor -- I'm not terribly bothered by bad decor, I have better things to do than stare at the walls, but with what it probably cost, it could have been worth looking at instead of garrish and bazar.

The ship layout -- as most others have said, it's rediculous that you have to go through a smoking area to get from one end of the ship to the other. The only dependable way to get past the big hole (atrium) is to go through the casino. Even on deck you have to go up and down several decks to go fore ans aft.

The food and drink -- First of all, I drink a lot of coffee and find very little that's actually unpalatable, but the Splendor's Lido coffee was awful. The dining room coffee was fine. I like to get up early and watch the sunrise with a cup, but after a couple of days had to switch to orange juice -- bummer. Food in Lido was fine, and for the number of people on board was usually accessible, accept the breakfast omelette line which took them 4 days to figure out that routing the line perpendicular to the line would keep the rest of the line from getting jammed up. The Mongolian grill is a joke and could be replaced with more room for the rest of the fare. The deli sandwiches were great. The hamburger line need some redesign as it took a half an hour in line to get a burger. Dinner in the MDR was pretty good to very good, except for the chateaubriand which was like a poor roast beef.

Entertainment -- stage shows were pretty good but WAY to loud -- I know if it's too loud, you're too old. But i don't need to leave a venue with my ears ringing. The comedian was very good but pretty trite. Other "entertainment" consisted of various kinds of trivia games.

Cabin -- very nice, comfortable and quiet. I don't cruise to sit in a cabin, so I find the interior cabins perfect. If I want to see the water, I prefer it from the deck, so I don't see a reason to pay a premium to get a window or balcony.

Publication Date: 04/05/10