Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by teninodad: Never a bad Cruise

Never a bad Cruise

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

First of all this is basicly a nit pick of a great time. It's hard to find fault with seven days in the sun, but I'll try :-)

First embarkation and debarkation-- OK and awful. We were called a couple of days before the cruise and told not to arrive before 2 PM, we were driving from relatives house in Ontario (California) so it was no problem to adjust and we arrived exactly at 2, processed fairly quickly and were aboard by 3. Debarkation was totally screwed up. Since we were carrying our own baggage off the ship they called us first, there was a backup somewhere and they just kept calling additional decks. Elevators were jammed, stairwells were jammed, open areas were jammed. It took nearly two hours to get off -- yuk.

The decor -- I'm not terribly bothered by bad decor, I have better things to do than stare at the walls, but with what it probably cost, it could have been worth looking at instead of garrish and bazar.

The ship layout -- as most others More have said, it's rediculous that you have to go through a smoking area to get from one end of the ship to the other. The only dependable way to get past the big hole (atrium) is to go through the casino. Even on deck you have to go up and down several decks to go fore ans aft.

The food and drink -- First of all, I drink a lot of coffee and find very little that's actually unpalatable, but the Splendor's Lido coffee was awful. The dining room coffee was fine. I like to get up early and watch the sunrise with a cup, but after a couple of days had to switch to orange juice -- bummer. Food in Lido was fine, and for the number of people on board was usually accessible, accept the breakfast omelette line which took them 4 days to figure out that routing the line perpendicular to the line would keep the rest of the line from getting jammed up. The Mongolian grill is a joke and could be replaced with more room for the rest of the fare. The deli sandwiches were great. The hamburger line need some redesign as it took a half an hour in line to get a burger. Dinner in the MDR was pretty good to very good, except for the chateaubriand which was like a poor roast beef.

Entertainment -- stage shows were pretty good but WAY to loud -- I know if it's too loud, you're too old. But i don't need to leave a venue with my ears ringing. The comedian was very good but pretty trite. Other "entertainment" consisted of various kinds of trivia games.

Cabin -- very nice, comfortable and quiet. I don't cruise to sit in a cabin, so I find the interior cabins perfect. If I want to see the water, I prefer it from the deck, so I don't see a reason to pay a premium to get a window or balcony. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Empress 7329

Quiet and dark, great bed -- great for sleeping. Roomy enough for all our stuff.

Because of the ship's itinerary, Cabo is way to short to be able to see much, especially trying to get 2000 people on/off the ship by tenders which were way to small. The last tender was supposed to be at 2:30 and we still had returning passengers at 3:30. We went to Lover's Beach and it's just nuts. 10's of watercraft zooming around and whipping the water to a froth. No facilities, so people doing their business in the rocks creating an awful smell. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling fun, except for the fear of getting run over by the water taxis and the heavy undertow. The dock area to get on/off the tender was a sea of people trying to get you to buy something or begging.

Mazatlan was very nice, except the transportation required by the ship being in an industrial port. We took the ATV tour around Stone Island and had a blast.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

PV is very nice. We walked around the terminal area a bit and got some pesos (don't bother, natives want greenbacks). We went on the old Mexico/Tequila tour and really enjoyed it. If I wanted to stay in one of the areas for an extended time it would be PV.