“Norweigan Sky-Don't do it!!!”
Cruise review of Norwegian Sky

algray12@gmail.com Norwegian Sky 2 Norweigan Sky-Don't do it!!!
algray12@gmail.com
Member Since 2010
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was our first time cruising. We will not cruise with NCL again! To be fair there were some good things on the ship. The staff was fairly nice, and the Cruise Director Matt Baker saved this from being a completely horrible experience. The guy was hilarious and entertaining. The two for one martini night was awesome. Here's the bad parts.

We were nickle and dimed for everything! We were hounded constantly to take pictures, or buy something including raffle tickets or drinks. In a 30 minute period we were asked to purchase drinks 18 times! I love great and attentive service, but being asked that many times is ridiculous. The staff often got upset that additional tip was not provided when ordering drinks, even though a fee of $12/day per person and 18% gratuity was added to each drink order. The food was terrible. Lunch consisted of hot dogs and hamburgers every day. Not to mention the fact that the meat was horrible. The food in the free restaurants were average at best. Out of 6 restaurants only 3 were free. One was the buffet (hot dogs and burgers), and the other two were ok. Each time it took about 2 hours to complete a meal start to finish. At one breakfast we waited 45 minutes for an omelet (two omelet pans on the ship).

The gentleman at the front desk named Jorge Z that handles excursions, (His picture is listed with other officers on deck 5), was horrible to deal with. He was often condescending or mean. We watched him blow off a customer's legitimate concerns by telling her to "have another drink, and don't worry about it". The beverages that were included in the cruise were nowhere to be found. When I asked for Lemonade during dinner, I was told I had to pay extra for it during dinner?! They also could not be found during breakfast or lunch. Don't get me wrong I'm not being cheap ($200 spent on alcohol), but if I'm told I'm getting something, I should get it.

Lastly there was a lack of enforcement about quite zones and areas for children. I have a child myself and a cruise is a great place for families. However, there were children in diapers or not potty trained in hot tubs/pools without a swimming diaper (disgusting). The side of the ship meant for a relaxing a quite day were filled with screaming children.

We will cruise again, but will definitely try another cruise line. We went with friends of ours and chose this cruise based on price. I understand NCL has to make their money back somehow, but there was no value in the money I spent.

Norwegian Sky Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

Tiny bathroom, great location being in the middle of the ship. The room smelled when we first got there. No clocks.

Port
We paid $37 for a tour of the island. All we got was to go to a small market, and to Lucaya Hotel/beach with a small outdoor mall. No culture to absorb or even anything interesting. The port is in an industrial zone, so no matter what you have to pay to leave the area. It's cheaper to get a cab and do this excursion on your own. It will cost you 50% of what NCL charges.

Read 1,075 Freeport Reviews
Port
It's nice to get off into a market area. You can go to Senor Frog's and do some shopping. The only other thing to do is to see the Atlantis Resort. You're allowed to walk through the shops and Casino, but can't get to anything else. There is a beach there which is about a 1 mile walk through Atlantis and around the Riu Hotel. Once there you'll have to rent a beach chair & umbrella if you want.

Read 4,119 Nassau Reviews
Published 04/05/10
Thank algray12@gmail.com
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Sky Review
Norwegian Sky Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?