MSC Poesia Cruise Review by CanCruiser68

MSC Poesia
MSC Poesia
Member Name: CanCruiser68
Cruise Date: March 2010
See More About: MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
        13-15 1.0

Ship Facts: MSC Poesia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Poesia Deck Plans
Mixed reviews - great ship, some things are lacking
We booked this cruise early back in September 2009, before reading any reviews. Once I read the reviews, I dreaded the possibility of a horrible vacation, however we decided to keep our minds open and see for ourselves. This is our second cruise, the first with MSC. Our previous cruise was in the Western Caribbean with NCL, so this for me that was the benchmark.

This is an honest and unbiased, unemotional account of our experience on the MSC Poesia. Most people we cruised with agreed that they preferred earlier cruise experiences.

I'll begin with the positives: This cruise ship is beautiful and immaculate. Everywhere you went, staff were cleaning it with such care that it literally shone. Many of the public areas were spectacular and care was taken in the design details. It was so pretty, that I took many pictures of the ship.

Though there were not a lot of activities which appealed to me, I really enjoyed the Italian Lessons. The hostess who gave the lessons was very engaging and we laughed while we learned. Taking the lessons made it easier to communicate with some of the Italian ship personnel. I even left with a certificate, although I learned just the basics.

The evening shows that we attended were very enjoyable, but for the long introductions in five languages. The quality of entertainment was high, with very good singers, dancers and gymnasts. The costumes, set design and lighting were all excellent.

The food was above average, with a very good selection. My teenager was kept well fed throughout the trip. The facilities, dining hours and service were something else though.

This was the most negative aspect of the whole trip. We wished that the dining hours in the buffet were longer, as the service at the seated meals was painfully slow. The assigned waitstaff did not understand English, and the Maitre D' never checked on us once. The buffet is very good, once you get around the poor design of space. Tip: Breakfast and Lunch are also served buffet-style in the Obelisque restaurant behind the Villa Pompeii, so we circumvented the long lines and had a nicer dining experience at the back.

My son did not enjoy the teen club as much as he did on the Norwegian ship. The hours were very limited and he had to wait until 10:30 PM for activities, which is awkward.

The room was serviceable, however we missed the towel animals and mints, and my husband had to fill the ice bucket himself all the time.

If you can get past the language barriers, most of the staff are pleasant and enjoyable to deal with.

Although there are negatives, the ship itself is fantastic, and one can't complain too much for the price. I will return if they make improvements.

Publication Date: 03/31/10