Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by shink113: 1st and possibly the last time on RCCL

shink113
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

1st and possibly the last time on RCCL

Sail Date: March 2010
Embarkation: Tampa

First let me give you some background. My husband and I have been on four other cruises. Two on NCL and two on Disney. We know alot of people who have cruised on RCCL and had wonderful experiences and were looking forward to our first "childless" vacation in over 11 years :-)

Here's the good:

Embarkation was a breeze. My husband and I were together. We met alot of wonderful people. Our wait staff (Ricky & Ariel) Saula and Michael (bartenders at the Viking Crown Lounge) John Blair...the new cruise director The Capt.: He was a laugh a minute...make sure you listen up when he comes over the loud speaker :-)

Here's the bad:

The food. I know this is a subjective area, but I must say this was our biggest disappointment. It was obviously mass produced and mediocre, at best. We love steak, it was horrible. I was served prime rib instead of a filet (maybe they ran out as we had the late seating). On the other lines (especially Disney), the food was More fabulous and although it too was mass produced, it never tasted like it. Just awful!

Wear and tear. She really needs to go into dry-dock. As an example, the carpet around the pool was worn and the seams were coming apart. The TV in our stateroom was as old as the ship and needed duct tape around the cord as well as to be jiggled to work properly. Our remote stopped working on day two (probably just needed batteries) and although we let our stateroom attendant know, he never brought us a working one.

Debarkation: This comes with the territory...just typical problems clearing the ship at the port. We were delayed over an hour and friends of ours missed their flight home.

Misc:

I would not recommend this ship for children. It was spring break when we went and there were not enough activities to entertain the kids. Most were bored to death. Also, there is no slide or water play area for them.

If you need a sport bar, skip this ship too. They don't have one. We had to search for TVs to watch March Madness basketball. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 4521

Needs a new TV. Very quiet, can't hear anything from the Paladium which is above you.

We've been to Cozumel before and went downtown to shop.

Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews