Celebrity Century Cruise Review by bocamom61: Century Not what it used to be!!

bocamom61
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

Century Not what it used to be!!

Sail Date: March 2010

The Celebrity Century is getting old. I hate to say it, but its true. We sailed from Miami on 3/25/10 for a four night cruise. I had previously sailed on the ship in March of 2007 and loved it.

Overall condition: The Century needs some tender loving care. Her age is showing and maintenance is spotty. For instance the elevator buttons are on a mirror and remained grimy and dirty the entire cruise. In the cabins when we checked in we found nut shells on the floor and there were yellowish stains on the white comforters and sheets...GROSS. The bathroom was tidy but oldish with some mold problems on the shower roof. Public areas were worn but clean.

Embarkation: Got to give Celebrity credit for this one. They have it down to a science and embarkation was quick and relatively painless. We were welcomed with mimosas or champagne when we embarked which was a nice touch. Gone are the escorts to our cabins of yesteryear.

Food: Here is where I think they have fallen More the farthest! The food on Celebrity was mediocre at best. There is no more lobster, the soups were horrible (usually a cruise mainstay) and the choices were limited. This is a marked change from 2007 and their current bigger ships! Service was slow and the waiters seem overworked. The beef is your best bet on Celebrity, the fish dishes were horrible except for the sea bass one night which was okay.

The buffet was good and the service there was well done, but boy was this place mobbed during breakfast and lunch! Good selections and cleanliness, I really enjoyed the healthy choice dining by the spa..it was always empty and had some great healthy items.

Spa:

Only went for a foot and ankle massage. The tech was very nice and did a great job but they do this massage in the pedicure chair which is not comfortable for massages. I like Holland America's spa which does this procedure in a private massage room on a massage table...MUCH more relaxing.

Casino:

The dealers were RUDE! There were two nice ones, but the rest were absolutely rude and detached. Either there is a major morale problem there or they hate their jobs. Of course it did not keep me away from the place but it made it much less fun than other cruises. This was a serious disappointment because in Celebrity cruises of past the dealers were so much fun.

Shows:

The shows on board Celebrity Century were first rate. Truly great! Don't miss them, they were the best that I have seen on my many cruise journeys.

Activities:

I like Bingo on board ships. Celebrity used to have great bingo, but now they have bingo machines which require absolutely no action from the player and make it so boring. They have no more bingo balls but a bingo computer which to me seems a bit mysterious and in my jaded opinion can be fixed (they have preprogrammed games, etc). It just seems sleezy. And we had to listen to the same corny jokes each day.

At Karaoke night the staff member ( a women) was absolutely rude when some kids wanted to sing. They are usually allowed on other lines but she could not hide her contempt for them and then finally walked out of the room to complain to her manager and then banned them from singing. NOT NICE!

Kids programs;

They do a great job, no complaints.

Room Service:

They must have cut staff because the phone hold to order room service was sometimes ten minutes and then it too 40 minutes to get the order (which two out of three times was wrong).

Getting off the Century:

They kind of make you feel cheap on the last day of the cruise. All food service ended at 1 a.m. (no room service,no snacks, no drinks, nada) Breakfast was served the last morning but only form 6:30 to 8:00 which did not work for us since we were told to get off the ship at 9:00. No problems with luggage, etc.

Overall, a very mediocre cruise on what was my favorite line! We are booked on the Solsitce so we will give them one more chance! Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>