Carnival Glory Cruise Review by max&toni: Glorious time on Glory!

max&toni
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Glorious time on Glory!

Sail Date: March 2010

We were so looking forward to this cruise (for over six months), and we were not disappointed. We were anxious to see the ship because we knew it had recently been in drydock. We were thrilled to see that she had been given a new Seaside Theatre, which we thoroughly enjoyed. New flatpanel TVs had also been added to all cabins. Overall, the ship looked great.

As always, Carnival works hard to keep the ship clean. The only complaint was that the linens on the beds were looking worn, but when you consider that they wash everything frequently and probably with hot water and bleach, you have to expect that the linens will wear faster.

We primarily ate our dinners in the dining room. The food quality was hit or miss. For example, I had the beef short ribs one night, and they were fantastic. Another night, I tried the grilled tillapia and that was pretty bland. The service in the dining room was terrific. The wait staff works very hard.

The food in the buffet More area (Red Sail restaurant) was about what you would expect. Some of the food was good and some of it just tasted like regular buffet food. The fish and chips were terrific, and of course, the food at the grill (hamburgers, chicken tenders, french fies) were mighty fine. The pizza was also very good. We ate sushi almost everyday. It was sooooo good.

We did quite a few activities offered by the Glory, including watching a late movie on the Lido deck, attending some of the art auctions, playing bingo, etc. We also caught some of the comedy acts, which were pretty good. The illusion show was really good (Justin Illusion).

Our bar bill overall was pretty manageable, but we also took advantage of the Bon Voyage program and purchased some liquor to be delivered to our cabin on embarkation day. It's more expensive than the bargains you get by purchasing liquor on the ship and having it delivered to your cabin the day before you disembark. However, we loved the convenience of being able to make a drink in our cabin without having to find a bar. We also took advantage of Carnival's policy to bring wine and sodas on the ship at embarkation. Again, you can't beat the convenience of this policy, and I hope Carnival never changes this policy. Believe me, we still spent money on the ship.

Our cabin was located on the Lido deck. We love this deck (at least for this class of ship) because there aren't many cabins on the Lido deck, and it is so convenient to the Red Sail Restaurant, grill and pools. We also had a balcony, which we also loved because it's just so relaxing to sit on your balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee or before dinner with a glass of wine. Loved it!

This will seem like a petty complaint, and I apologize for that, but I did get a little irritated that they wanted to charge for popcorn served at the Seaside Theatre. I kind of felt like I was being nickel and dimed.

Like I said though, this was a very enjoyable cruise. I have cruised Carnival many times before, and I still believe that you can't beat the value. The service is great, the ship is clean, and they work very hard to make sure you have a memorable experience. I will probably always be loyal to Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Verandah

Great location on the portside of the Lido deck. Very quiet.

We have also been to Belize before, and this time, we decided to stay on the ship. We enjoyed the pool and took advantage of some spa specials. If you're into snorkeling, do your research and make the most of what Belize has to offer.

(5.5)
We've been to Cozumel on previous cruises a few times, and this time we decided to book an all-inclusive beach club. We went to the San Francisco Beach Club, and the all-inclusive rate was $40 each. We had heard that Nachi Cocum was nicer, but it was booked when we inquired (they only allow 100 guests). We found out when we got to the San Francisco Beach Club that we didn't have to book it as all-inclusive. The beach club allows you to use its facilities (chairs, umbrellas, bathrooms) at no charge when you spend $10 each at the bar. Since we booked the all-inclusive rate, we felt we needed to get our money's worth, and needless to say, I drank way too much.

The beach club was very nice (the chairs are a bit worn), and the service was great. It was a $13 cab ride from the port. What we didn't do was pay attention to the time difference in Cozumel. The beach club opened at 9am - Central Time. The ship was on Eastern Daylight Time, and we arrived at 9am EDT. While we were able to choose our chairs and relax, we had to wait 2 hours for bar service. I know...you're thinking "seriously, you needed to drink at 9am?" Remember, we booked the all-inclusive rate, and I needed to get my money's worth. :)

Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

We rented a car from Avis and toured the western part of the island. We went to Hell (of course) and mailed our postcards. We then went to the Tutle Farm but decided not to tour it because it was $18 per person. I've been to the Turle Farm many years ago (before Hurricane Ivan), and I didn't recall the admission price being that high. We skipped it and went to Calypso Grill (Morgan's Harbor) for lunch. It was fabulous. I forgot that tip was already added to the bill, so I'm thinking our server was pretty happy with the 30%+ tip he ended up getting. It was such a good experience that I really don't mind.

From the restaurant, we went to Smith's Cove and sat at the beach for awhile. It was so beautiful.

Next time I go to Grand Cayman, I'll rent a car again and tour the eastern side of the island. I understand it's a little more laid back there and the food is more of what the locals eat.

(5.5)
Carnival invested in a new dock and port area, called Mahogany Bay, which includes a very nice beach. The ships sells excursions that start at $29.95 per person. For this you get unlimited rides on the "magic flying beach chair", which is basically a sky chair-lift that takes you from the port to the beach, as well as your beach chair, clam shell (large cover for two beach chairs). It may have also included a float (sorry, can't remember).

We decided to take our chances and not purchase the excursion. It was a short walk from the dock to the beach (nicely paved). We found a nice spot on the beach. The chairs are at no charge. We found out that you get a clam shell for $20, and lots of people took advantage of this. When the sun got too hot, we moved to a shady spot under a palm tree. The beach was packed the entire day and it was dedicated to our ship. Very nice.

If you're serious about snorkeling, I would recommend you do some additional research before deciding what to do in Roatan. I heard some people talking who did some snorkeling at Mahogany Bay, and apparently, it wasn't so good.

Read 1651 Roatan Reviews