Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by psb4ever: Oasis is Breathtaking

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis is Breathtaking

Sail Date: March 2010

This is my first time cruise and was not into cruising until I found out about Oasis of the Seas. I spent so much time watching it being built and following her crossing to Ft. Lauderdale. I went on 3/20/10 with my friend and we had lots of fun! The ship is beautiful and looks way better then the renderings in the brochure!

From the car to the ship was in 10 minutes, I was really shocked that it happened. There was a total of 5,800+ people on board and it never felt like it! That was one thing I was really nervous about since I never cruised before. The only time it was busy was when a show was let out or the parade was going on, other then that it never felt crowded. The ship is very easy to get around, they have wayfinders to help you find your room or what's going on around the ship.

Our room was a balcony room on deck 11, it was perfect in size, I read a lot of people on here saying its too small and not enough closet space. My friend and I fit all of our More clothes in the closet. There were enough hangers to hang our shirts (about 20) and the little cubbies held my shorts, socks, and other items. The beds were by the balcony and was happy to have the couch by the closet to make it easier to get in. The closet doors have a "self close" function when you shut them which was neat. The bathroom was roomy for me, the shower was fine and the water can get really hot! There was a mini fridge but it was stocked with candy, soda and water that they will charge you if you take it, $3.95 for a bottle water?! go and get free water from the park cafe! Carl was our state room attendant and he was great! There was an animal towel on our beds every night and always a chocolate on our pillows. Our room was always taken care of right away and very quickly. He always had a smile on his face and always said hello and asked us how we were, asked if we needed anything as well. Thank you Carl, you were great!

The food was good, I heard a lot of people complaining about it but we both like it a lot. I was expected to hate the windjammer but was surprised that it taste good, had no problems at all, even ate their for dinner one night! The cupcakes were very good and so were the donuts! The key lime one was really tangy but yummy. I didn't have the ice cream since they were basic flavors and nothing different (no cookies and cream, chocolate chip cookie dough) just plain with topping (which were extra), so I had the free ice cream at the wipeout cafe. The food there was good too, my friend loved the nachos. Pizza was good and Johnny Rockets was yummy, their onion rings were to die for. The main dining room was good, only ate there two night since there was so many other venues to choose from. But the service in the main dining room was outstanding! Every little detail was there to make you feel like our the only customer! Park Cafe was good, the lemonade was strong, but I like it that way. My friend had to water it down a little. The cupcakes were very good, I got a chocolate lovers and a coke-a-cola, the coke one was different, but I ate it all up.

There was a lot to do on the ship, we were never bored. We liked the trivia games in the schooner bar with Peter. He was a blast! We did the stargazing one night and were on the helipad which was cool since your not aloud on there. We got to see the International Space Station fly by, The guy said that it was very rare to see and we were very lucky to witness that! We did a central park tour and was informative. Richard Spacey, our cruise director was awesome, he was super funny and very energetic! The comedy club was great, there were two performers. One was funny and the other had me belly laughing! My friend played the casino three nights and won twice, the slots really didn't pay off.

Central Park was beautiful I really liked it a lot, it was very peaceful at night and pretty. The boardwalk was cool and so was the amphitheatre. The solarium was really relaxing and a great place to get away. I like the deck on top of the bridge, it was a great view. The elevators were sometimes slow but not a big deal, if I was a few decks away I would take the stairs so it was no problem. We went on the rising tide bar and it was fun, the water fountains on the bottom were really nice and was really cool to watch. The shows were awesome! I didn't see Hairspray because I'm not into musicals and I didn't get to see the Headliner show. But the rest were great! I loved the aquatheater water shows, they were fun to watch. We didn't use the fitness center, why work out when your on vacation? They played movies in the aquatheater when nothing was going on which was nice for the kids. We watch the belly flop contest and it was fun to see. Also saw the sexy legs contest which was funny!

I noticed the cleanliness was very good, there were always people cleaning something and when it came to the pools, they were always a team at dinner time cleaning every little spec!

Now to the ports. Our first stop was St. Thomas, when you got off the ship it was really beautiful until you head downtown. The whole area was run down, I saw two police officers holding AK-47s, when I saw that I was really nervous. The taxi driver tried to drop all of us down some lonely ally and a lady said she wanted to be dropped off at the post office and he said no, so everyone on the taxi was trying to bribe him into taking us there. Finally when he saw we weren't getting off, he compiled. The downtown was really bad, people all over and cars honking at anything that moved. Free roaming chickens everywhere and bunch of crazy people talking to themselves. We spent 30min shopping and had enough and went back to the ship for lunch. After lunch we wanting to go to Havensight for the paradise point skyride. The man at the taxi port told us what taxi to get on to take us there. We both asked just to be sure if that's where the taxi was heading to, he said yes. We got on and the taxi driver pulled off the side to collect the money. As he came to us we asked again just to make sure if he was going to Havensight. We asked and he just starting yelling like crazy, we both told him that the guy at the port told us that YOU were going to go to Havensight. He was really rude and told us that we had to catch another taxi (another $8.00) to get there. By that time I was pissed and ready to tell him off and to get my money back and catch a different taxi but my friend just told me to calm down and it was no big deal. Fast forward... we got to the skyride and it was ok, $21.00 per person to ride up a mountain to arrive at a non a/c restaurant with flys and humidity. Though the view was beautiful, so it was worth it for the view. On the way back we got a taxi heading back to the ship and what happened next makes me never want to go to St. Thomas again... as we were in downtown trying to get back to the ship the taxi driver stopped for this guy, which it seemed to be someone he knew and he told him to get in the car. Now the cab is separated from the rest of the back (A pickup truck with benches in the back). I then saw him take out a wad full of money, a lot of $50s and $20s and handed it to the guy in the front seat, then the guy gave him some bottles. My friend told me it was shampoo bottles and I know shampoo does not cost THAT much! I really think I have just witness a drug deal and felt really unsafe, I was hoping he really was going to take us back to the ship and not rob us! Right when we got back on the ship I felt safe and did not want to go back out again.

Next stop St. Maarten. We got up early and watch the ship pull into port, I was still wondering if it was going to be as bad as St. Thomas but I tried to think positive. We paid $6.00 each for a water taxi to get to the downtown area, it was a good price and you can ride it all day. When we got there it was really nice, my favorite out of all the ports. Less crowded and more cleaner looking. The water was gorgeous and the people were more friendly, but we did run into someone really rude...we were walking down the street and my friend was taking pictures, well this guy comes out of a shop and says "please don't take my picture, I don't want to be in your picture". We thought he was joking and we both laughed and my friend said "nooo don't worry I wont" then the guy says "If you take my picture I'll mash your F****** camera!!!!" My friend and I both got real quiet and turned right around and headed back to the ship. We tried not to let it get to us since we were on vacation. Anyway we decided to go back out and head to the beach, it was nice, water was warm and it was very hot out, but hey, it's better then the cold! So St. Maarten was better then St. Thomas.

Last port was Nassau, in our cruise compass we got the night before it said to be careful in Nassau because of the increase in crime rate, now I'm thinking "oh great St. Thomas all over again". We got their 50min early thanks to out captain and there were 4 other ships in port, carnival destiny, disney wonder, carinval sensation and the msc poesia. And man let me tell you we over looked all of the ships! It was so cool to see everyone stair at us and taking pictures. As we were pulling in, the cruise director from the Carnival Destiny went over the loud speaker and announce "There's the worlds biggest cruise ship everyone, I'm not impressed". I was laughing so hard because I know he's jealous that he can't work on Oasis. We got off the ship and had to maze our way through the crowd to get to the city. There were cars everywhere and it was very polluted and you couldn't breath, plus some parts smelled like urine. Once again people everywhere and there trying to sell you something. We wanted to go to the Queens Staircase which was a couple of blocks away, so we decided to walk there. Once you get to the back roads it gets quiet and lonely and we some some not so friendly looking groups in the distance, so we decided just to forget it and go back since there was nothing else to do.

So to sum it up we had a great time, I know if I was on any other cruise ship, I most likely would not want to cruise again. But on Oasis you'll never get bored. There were always activities to do. We booked another cruise on Oasis next year and are going on a western one. I want to check out Royal Caribbeans resort in Haiti. Royal Caribbean has a new customer and I wouldn't want to sail with anyone else. Thank you Royal Caribbean for a vacation I'll never forget!!!!!! :D Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 9

Roomy cabin, lots of closet space for 2, closet has "soft close" feature, front door opens out to save more space, beds and pillows were comfortable and had and great sleep, not a lot of tv channels, bathroom had enough room if your small to average size, water can get extremely hot if you want it to, toilets were very powerful, sometimes you can hear your neighbor flush, balcony was roomy, interactive tv lets you see what the menus were and the waiting time for each venue which was very helpful when you decide where you want to eat.

nice water, too crowded, smelled bad, lots of pollution, high crime from what the cruise compass said, pushy people trying to sell you something. spent 30min in town and went back to the ship.

Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

Clean, beautiful water, friendly, quiet.

Crowded, dirty, rude people, drug deal in the taxi we were in!

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews