Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Balashark

Cruise Date: March 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

NCL you have lost us
This was the 9th cruise for my wife and me. We have cruised other lines and this was our second NCL cruise. We arrived at the port and were given a group card after checking in. After about an hour waiting our group number was called and we boarded the ship. After having flown across country and arriving late in L.A. we were looking forward to a little resting/downtime in our cabin before the standard muster drill. We learned that none of the cabins were ready and we had to wait about 2 hours to enter our cabin. We had only 1 hour until muster drill. Our luggage did arrive during this time, well ahead of the promised time. During this interval, nor for the duration of the cruise did we ever meet our cabin steward, the room was cleaned and well maintained, we just never knew the persons name.

My wife and I prepared for dinner and headed to the main dinning room. The food here was the worst my wife and I have ever experienced on a cruise. We gave the benefit of the doubt and surmised that once is a mistake. Well the entire cruise whether breakfast at the buffet,dinner at the buffet,or dinner at the main dinning room the food was bland and tasteless the entire cruise and not hot. The only meals that were good was hot dogs and hamburgers at the pool. Even the desserts were not up to other cruises, if not for the soft serve ice cream dessert would have been off the radar. We talked with fellow passengers and they concurred. Some had even had bad food in the extra surcharge venues. When cruising my wife and I enjoy coffee and fresh fruit on our balcony before going for our main breakfast. Room service on this ship was HORRIBLE. One morning we got a broken coffee carafe which we could not open, the orders we received were never just what we ordered, and the one time we got a working carafe the coffee was cold. We were very grateful there was a coffee pot in the room. Maybe the staff knew something?

All was not bad. The entertainment in the main theater was for the most part well done. The Manila Trio were outstanding. We did not care for the layout and sitting arrangements around the main pool. The staff would speak and offer assistance if and I repeat if asked . On day three,my wife reported to the reception desk the bad room service and lack of good food and the fact we had not met the cabin steward The person on duty just nodded and said she would pass along this information. Still nothing changed during the cruise. Getting off the ship went smooth and we were on the bus and toward the airport 20 minutes after getting off the ship. I would not reccomend taking this ship to any destination. If you have cruised the Carribean do not think the Mexcian Rivera is the same, it is not.

Publication Date: 03/30/10