Noordam Cruise Review by Annalise: Pack Your Patience

Compare Prices on Noordam Southern Caribbean Cruises

Pack Your Patience

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Let me begin by saying that my husband & I are seasoned cruisers. We have sailed everything from Carnival to Crystal & this was our 15th cruise. We cruised with 4 other couples. We are all seniors (50-70). We like HAL because it mainly caters to us and they are very sensitive to passengers who are physically challeneged. Embarkation was easy thanks to the Express Documentation we filled out on the internet. We simply printed out our Express tickets and showed our passports to HAL personnel and went up the gangplank.

We immediately went to the Lido deck & ate some lunch. I went into shock as there were no food trays & everything was served in very modest portions to passengers by waitstaff. This resulted in long lines & having to run back and forth from the table to fetch drinks, sides and anything that necessitated more than 2 hands. We were dismayed & frustrated as when we finally sat down, our food had cooled considerably. Many passengers echoed the More same sentiments & they opted to go to the dining room for breakfast, lunch & dinner instead. Our cabin steward, Ricard, and the rest of the waitstaff were Indonesian & they were terrific. Ricard was like a stealth cabinboy in that we never saw him but every request we made was fulfilled & our room was always clean. We enjoyed his towel creations at night. The staff worked very, very hard to please the passengers, and they were ALWAYS very polite and helpful.

CASINO: I found the video poker machines to be very tight. They hardly gave back any winnings & never once did I hear a slot machine go off. I did okay on roulette and my husband won the Texas Hold'em tournament. Again the dealers were very nice and big HELLO to Ramona.

ENTERTAIMENT: The two standouts were Kuba, a vibraphone maestro and Barnaby, a comedian who had everybody laughing so hard, our bellies ached. The others were rather run-of-the-mill and the Noordam singers were just average.

SPA: The prices were astronomical but I had a gift certificate so I got a special. As the cruise progresses, they offer specials on various services so try not to book right away. Also for a price a GREEN HOUSE card can be purchased which gives access to a wonderful whirlpool, 2 steamrooms and heated chaise lounges that are fabulous. It's worthwhile and very zen-like.

EXCURSIONS: I went on two excursions & they both proved to be very good. The first was in St. Lucia where we traveled by bus up a mountain to enjoy tea and snacks at an old mansion.The view was breathtaking as we sipped tea on a wide balcony & overlooked the bay. St. Lucia was surprisingly poor & our tourguide, Ramsey, was very informative on it's history. The second was a bicycle ride through Half Moon Cay. The tour was filled to capacity as we biked down roads to see a horse ranch,a stingray farm and some backwoods that are ordinarily never experienced. For those of you who are not athletic,the island is tiny & we rode for a very,very short time.Anyone can do this. One woman in our group was in her eighties & she did just fine.Again,we got a thorough lecture of the island's history. It was just right and my favorite excursion.

DINING: I give the food a solid GOOD, but in the interest of cutting costs, we found the portions to be measly. Our waiter was very attentive & he worked very hard to please. The sommelier, Arnold, was the best. We ate at the Pinnacle Grill once & although the food was very good, I was surprised the waiters weren't more professional. One waiter dropped a tray of silverware behind me & I jumped 5 feet off my seat and then they messed up one order. A man in our party expressed his dissatisfaction with the modest portions, so we did not return. As I said before, the removal of foodtrays at the Lido in an attempt to prevent passengers from wasting food drew many critisms from people. For us, it was an unnecessary inconvenience.

ACTIVITIES: There was always something to do on the ship & the social director, Mike, was very upbeat. They featured talent contests, newlywed games, trivia games, bingo, poolside games, art history lectures, etc. Also there were first-run movies on the cabin TV's which were good. I attended mass most mornings and Father Kazimir is an elderly priest with a great sense of humor. He was a pleasure to get to know.

SUMMATION: I must concur with the others who have said that for the money, HAL is probably the best cruise on the high seas. There were many more canes, walkers and scooters than children on board so I wouldn't recommend it for families. Also, I must re-emphasize that there were lines for food,drinks,getting on & off the tenders, so pack your patience and bring a comfortable pair of shoes for all that walking you'll be doing between your table and the food buffets. I suggest that if HAL wants to cut costs, they should eliminate the little bathroom lotions/shampoos and instead reinstate smaller food trays in order to make mealtimes a more efficient, less stressful experience. Another idea would be to just offer them at lunchtime since that's when most people eat at the Lido anyway. Less

Read more Noordam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Noordam Review >>

Cabin review: Noordam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade

Our windowed cabin was extremly tiny with very little storage. We were on deck 1 which experienced very little rocking. The location was very quiet & we were not far from Vista dining room above us. We had two twin beds pushed together, a small desk, a mini fridge, a small sofa and three single door closets. The two nightstand drawers were extremely hard to open. The shower had good water pressure & easy to control temperature. Since we did not spend a lot of time there, it was okay, however, next time I would definately opt for a larger room.

Surprisingly extremly poor and not worth getting off the ship. Many straw markets selling junkie souvenirs. In my opinion, HAL should eliminate this port from future cruises.

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

I loved Martinique because it was so colorful and they speak French. I speak French also so I could not wait to get off the boat and start talking with the locals. My husband and I walked to St. Louis cathedral and I lit a candle and talked to the locals. One woman told us to go to the townhall for a cultural show. We went and saw the Martinique dance troupe. They were terrific but the sun was too hot so we left. We then continued on to the strawmarket and my husband couldn't stop me from conversing with everyone I saw. They were all very friendly. The women at the strawmarket wanted too much for tee shirts so we walked across the street and bought two tees for $20 with French phrases on them. Unfortunately we were there on a Sunday and most of the stores and businesses were closed.

I was very surprised to see how poor St. Lucia truly is. As we headed up the mountain for Tea on the Mourne, we passed many ramshackle houses built on stilts with chickens and goats in their front yards. The roofs were fashioned from tin & most houses consisted of only one or two rooms. The road was strewn with garbage and the foliage was overgrown and unkept. Many people seemed to be just hanging out in the streets talking. We did not see much commerce in town. I got the distinct impression that St. Lucia is very much like a third world country.

St. Maarten is great for shopping. I purchased beautiful table linens and runners and paid a very reasonable price. There is one jewelry store after another but I cannot comment on them since I did no shopping for jewelry. Although, I did notice many women wearing shiny new jewelry that night. We purchased four bottles of liquor & our friends bought cigarettes for extremely low prices.

Shopper's paradise. The ship pulled in and the open vans were lined up waiting for us. The cost into downtown is $4 per person each way. At the end of the main street across from Little Switzerland is an open market. They feature cover-ups, jewelry and knock-off handbags for very reasonable prices. A shop-a-holic could easily spend all day at the open market alone. If you're not into open markets, there are jewelry stores, liquor shops, clothing, etc. For people with difficulty walking, there is a mini-version of downtown stores directly outside of ship on the dock. Some of those stores were Omni Jewelers, Diamonds International, souvenir stores, Cardow's and H. Stern.

Read 2320 St. Thomas Reviews