Ruby Princess Cruise Review by markstudy: Ruby, fantastic adventure, photo safari of the Caribbean

markstudy
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Ruby, fantastic adventure, photo safari of the Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean

First Princess Cruise went perfect! We had two trips with Carnival and they were good, but this was even better.

Our balcony cabin on deck 10 Caribe had a huge balcony and I just loved hanging out on the balcony while my wife got ready in the morning and later at night before dinner. I didn't go with the Jr Suite and felt that the standard room with the big balcony was a better deal. The room seemed to have plenty of space, even though we had gotten use to the Jr suites on our previous Carnival curies.

The one odd thing about the trip... is we thought the food selection in the buffets was better then the dining room (all you can eat lobster claws the first night). We hadn't done any buffets on our last two trips, but this time we found the portions and selections to be more tempting than the dining room most nights.

I had no idea that we would finish our trip with a professional published book, that documented the entire incredible trip! But my wife More talked me into buying the new book that Princess sells on board. We over-planned our trip with multiple excursions in each port and had no idea that we would be able to fit it all in. But the weather and ship's timing was perfect so we were able to hit every event we had planned. Wow! It couldn't have gone any better on our first cruise with Princess. If you want to see some different excursions on Aruba, Bonaire, Eleuthera, Dominica, Grenada, St John, Little Cayman, and Cozumel... take a look at our trip report with the help of the new service Princess is offering- PanRaven which allows you to enter your text and photos into a professional looking book which you then share with friends on-line and print out a copy for your home.

ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time (click again to go back to two page view) Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Lido Deck C628

We did a sub ride in the morning on the Atlantis Submarine. Very nice tour. The reef looked very healthy.

In the afternoon we took a sail boat ships tour to snorkel. We had a lot of fun sailing but the snorkeling was only so-so. We decided to stick with the ships tour since this was late in the afternoon and we didn't want to take a chance missing our ship.

Read 683 Aruba Reviews

(5.5)

We took the ships tour in the morning to Klein Marine Park, and we hired a private tour guide in the afternoon- Renee'

Both snorkels were fantastic. Try to go early in the day because the wind picks up and the waves and visibility can be a problem later in the day at Klein.

Bonaire has the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. If you get a chance to go, take it!

Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

We did a trip called Extreme Dominica where we went canyoning. We had a small group of 8 people and took a hike down 8 waterfalls in the rainforest. I got some of the most amazing photos. This is a more beautiful trip then the ones offered by Levi Bumping Tours, but requires you to be in better shape, because they take you through some extreme terrain (no experience necessary, but you need to be fit). We loved it!

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We left from Fort Lauderdale and really liked the way Princess has you sit in a big waiting room, instead of standing in line like Carnival did. It was such a nice way to get on the ship. I don't know why other cruises lines make you stand in long lines?

Our first stop was Princess Cays, Bahamas. We took the ships snorkel tour and loved it. The water was so clear we got great photos. You can snorkel from the beach also, but we wanted to see good coral reef and didn't mind paying extra to take a dive boat out a half mile to see some great fish. The only negative was that the reef was small and only took 25mintues to cover. But I did it twice and it was a great way to start our trip.

We had bought an underwater camera and I was learning to use it. It takes a little time to get the hang of floating around and trying to shoot photos. Everything is moving, including YOU... and its not as easy as it looks. We bought the new digital Canon D10 which is water proof to 30 feet.

We did a 40 minute tour of the island on our way to the top of the mountain for a river tubing experience. We did see a monkey on the drive up, so keep your eyes open. So much lush jungle made for a great drive.

We loved the river tour, but thought it was too short. After 25 minutes we were having a blast, and it was done. I still recommend it, but I've heard they are having a drought so I'd check local water levels before booking the tour.

Read 356 Grenada Reviews

We took a taxi to the ferry dock in Red Hook...and this gave us a good 20 minute tour of the island. Then the Ferry over to St John. This was our second trip and we wanted to do our own tour after doing the ships tours last trip.

We went to the Westin Resort and rented a inflatable boat from their water sports operation called CruzBay. The resort was fantastic, we had lunch and enjoyed how beautiful it was. The boat rental was fun but the waves get too big so I think if we do it again, I will go with a private snorkeling company... and let the captain take us on a bigger boat.

Read 2326 St. Thomas Reviews