Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by MontrealGal: Was it all a dream...

MontrealGal
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Was it all a dream...

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We left Montreal a day prior to sailing. Thank god because between US Airways and the weather, we might have very well missed the boat, as many did due to the weather and power outages on the east coast.

We arrived in San Juan after midnight and checked into the new Sheraton Hotel in the convention center. The hotel is beautiful, our room was a huge King size suite and just gorgeous. We we awoke Saturday morning, we stepped out onto the Sheraton's pool deck and directly across from us was our ship. We could have walked to it but with the all the luggage and the heat, we took a taxi. We gave the driver $10 US.

As we had had so much trouble the day before we proceeded to the ship (Celebrity Summit) as soon as we checked out of the hotel at noon. We were on board the ship by 12:20. It amazed us the entire week how organized they were. Upon getting on we were told that our room would not be ready until 1:00 pm, but we could proceed up to the pool area (deck 10) were More the buffet would be serving lunch.

We walked around the ship for a while, then at 1:00 pm proceeded to our room and sure enough it was ready. We put the things away from our carry on luggage and changed into our swimsuits and back up to the pool area. We made arrangements to have a couples massage for later in the week on our one day at sea. About 3:00 pm my husband went back down to the room and sure enough our luggage was in the hall awaiting us. As it was a beautiful day, without a cloud in the sky, we really enjoyed our time around the pool. The band started playing about 4:00 pm and really started to get everyone in a good mood. Activities and tours started about 2:00 pm. We choose the 'select dining', which to me was great. We could eat at any time in the dining room from between 6:00 pm and 9:30 pm. So dining was a very wonderful and leisurely affair.

We loved our room. It was a simple cabin with a very large porthole window. King size bed (very very comfortable - as I slept better on ship then I did at home the past year). Suitcases fitted underneath the bed, and lots of hangers and storage room in the closets. The bathrooms are small, but well laid out and again lots of storage. I have short hair, so I left my hair dryer at home. For those of you with long hair, I would recommend that you bring your own blow dryers or you could take all night trying to dry your hair. They gave us bathrobes, which were perfect for after a shower or just lounging in.

We loved the Cosmopolitan Dining Room, and always ate upstairs on the 5th floor. Although we frequently changed waiters, we often asked to be seated at Vinod's table as he took such good care of us and really knew what to recommend (my husband owned a beautiful French Cuisine restaurant here in Montreal and is sometimes hard to please, but never ever had one complaint!). Although we had said we would go one night to the Normandy (very high praise from everyone) we enjoyed the Cosmopolitan so much that we never made it. Every morning we ate on the 10th floor - going to the back of the ship were they were serving waffles and French toast. I started each day with a dinner plate stacked with fresh fruit and another of French Toast, waffles with blueberries, and sausages. A couple of times we went to the pizza bar and had made to order pizza, but the best afternoon was when we discovered the pasta bar, in which you choose all the ingredients for you sauce and they make it fresh in front of you... OMG it was so, so good. It was nice to see that the pool grill also offered the choice of grilled turkey burgers, for those of trying to eat a little healthier! I tried the ice cream which was great (with lots of M&M's on top), but with 85 to 95 degree weather, you could understand very well why there was a lineup at times! We did not have one bad meal or snack... and let me tell you they have it all... 4:00 pm high tea, with specialty sandwiches and desserts, sushi bars, BBQ, healthy buffet in the spa area... Great late night fruit buffets or chocolate and dessert buffets.

As someone who works out quite often it was very much my intention to use the fitness facilities on a regular basis, especially when I saw how great they were... but there was so much else to do and with the heat, the joke became that I waived to fitness center everyday as I passed by....

We tried to sample a little of everything. We lost money at the casino one night, the we went to see two shows and enjoyed them very very much... danced in the disco one night with all the 'young folks' and that was fun as well. We would walk around to the various bars and enjoy the various types of music and dancing. Karaoke was a huge success!

We are non drinkers, so we I ordered the H20 package and my husband ordered the soft-drink package before we left. I had liters of Evian water everyday and San Pellegrino at night with dinner. Towards the end, the waiters were putting my San Pellegrino in ice buckets as they would white wine, which was fun. I did have one Martini on our last night, they are $10, but it was a really nice drink! I would advised everyone to check out the water/soft drink/beer/wine packages ahead of time. I think you can save some money.

We did five ports of call - St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Antigua, and St. Lucia.

Friday was our 'at sea' day. It was extremely hot and as everyone says if you don't get a chair by the pool early in the day you are out of luck. There was little shade, but I was actually using the kids pool in the day care center at the back of the boat. I could go alone, because I don't think I could drown in only one foot of water, but it was covered and the water was cool, compared to the other pools and hot tubs, which were just not refreshing and really overcrowded! We also had a couples massage, which was very nice, but it was over $300 US for about 50 minutes for the two of us, plus of course they try to sell you a whole range of products.

I think we were the last ones off at 9:30 am because our flight was only at 5:00 pm. I thought they were going to have to call security because we really didn't want to leave.... We lined up and were off the ship and through customs in a matter of minutes. We took a taxi to the Venetian Jewelry shop in Old San Juan, where Celebrity has arranged that they store your luggage for free in their back offices. We toured Old San Juan for about 4 hours before we headed off to the airport. It was $22 US from Old San Juan to the airport with our two large suitcases and two carry on bags.

I can't say enough good things about the ship and the wonderful staff... we have never been treated that well in any of our world travels and can't wait to do it again... Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 2121

Cabin #2121 - we loved it. 170 square feet with very comfortable king size bed, great view from large six foot porthole window. Very quiet, lots of closet and storage space. Very clean. Close to elevators and stairways, but far enough not to hear any noise. Would stay in the same cabin again!!! The service we got in our cabin was also amazing. Not only would the bed be made in the morning, if my husband took a 'siesta' before dinner, the bed would be remade again! Now that's service!

(5.5)
Most of my friends don't like Antigua, but we loved it. Got off the ship thinking of heading to Jolly Beach. The taxi driver wanted $32 US! But I had read on one of these boards of a young couple who caught the #22 bus (you need to walk to the bus terminal for the 'Westbound' traffic - just up the street and then turn right for a few blocks across the street from their big market) and only paid $1.50/pp. So that's what we did. My husband is a senior and we did get a couple of stares. I was nervous only because I had no idea where we were going... the buses are small but very comfortable with a TV and air conditioning. Once the locals realized we were a little lost, they all helped us get off at the right place. We arrived behind the Jolly Beach resort and again were met by very friendly staff of the resort who escorted us onto the beach - had we gone through their front entrance we would have been charged $60/pp to use the facilities. As it turned out we enjoyed the whole day for free! This beach was simply beauty at it's best... gorgeous white sand with beautiful aquamarine water. Everyone was very friendly. As we spent so a long day on the beach and didn't know the bus schedule we opted for a taxi ride back to the ship. The taxi driver charged us each $10, but it was worth it.

Read 801 Antigua Reviews

This was my least favorite of all the ports. Maybe because were we docked in Frederiksted. There is nothing there... the small beach to the left of the dock is rocky and has sewage running into the water - the smell alone just about made me sick. Walked around for an hour before getting back on the ship for the day.

We had booked a tour with Roosevelt Paradise Island tours (a.k.a. Texas). This was a great 4 1/2 hour tour of the island. We were six on the tour, in a very comfortable air conditioned mini bus, with lots of cold water and soda. Roosevelt loves botanical and plantation life and is very excited to stop and show us the many varieties growing on the island. He took us to Romney Manor the home of Thomas Jefferson's great great great grandfather, where they now do batik designs and wonderful gardens, then on to Brimstone Fort a UNESCO heritage sight which is simply amazing and breathtaking, then to the other side of the island to Timothy Hill overlooking where the Atlantic ocean almost meets the Caribbean Sea with St. Kitts sister island of Nevis in the background. He wanted to take us to one of the beaches for swimming, but I think we were all so tired we just wanted to go back to the ship. It was $45US each and we paid him at the end in cash.

When we arrived back at the ship we stopped to do a little bit of shopping... As they kept telling us on the cruise if you see something you really like buy it... I didn't take that advise and have been kicking myself ever since, as I saw a beautiful gold and diamond bracelet which I just loved! (I have since found it online at Diamonds International, but the duty here in Canada will just kill me!)

Again we took an excursion that we booked ourselves over the Internet with Cosol tours. What a day! They picked us up at 9:20 am and it was about 4:30 pm when we got back. We toured the island, visited the original capital of the town of Soufriere, some of the other small fishing villages, the drive in volcano with the most awful sulfur smell you can imagine, the waterfalls, to a beach were we jumped on a water taxi that took us to a resort to swim and snorkel between the 'Grand Piton' and the 'Petit Piton for an hour or so... we also stopped at a banana plantation, best banana's I have ever eaten, stopped at someones home for a huge home cooked buffet of all the local dishes (Johnnie cakes, coconut bread, banana bread, fruit, fish dishes, homemade candies, ect.), then stops for homemade french bread and cheese on the way back to the ship. Their goal is to ensure that everyone has a wonderful time and sees as much of their island possible in one day. The price was $65 US/pp and again we only paid them once we got off the bus back at the ship...

We loved St. Thomas, but beware if you pull into the port on Sunday like we did the majority of the stores close at 1:00 pm. And with more the 250 jewelry stores alone to visit... If you do decide to buy good jewelry may I suggest that you stick with the stores that your ship guarantees are reputable! So we shopped all morning then went back to the ship for about noon. We took the only 'ship' excursion of the week which was a small tour of the island on the way to swim at Megan's Bay... after all you don't want to miss seeing what National Geographic calls one of the top 10 beaches in the world! It was $29 US/pp and we only had two hours at the beach. I think it would have been cheaper to take a taxi and have a longer afternoon at the beach... but would go back to St. Thomas any day.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews