Rotterdam Cruise Review by 3bear

Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: a
See More About: Rotterdam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Rotterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Rotterdam Deck Plans
Incan Empire Cutural Adventure
This cruise was 30 days from San Diego to Lima and back to San Diego, 14 ports/7 countries were visited. Take this voyage for the wonderful ports not often visited by the masses; Guatemala, (visit Antigua); Nicaragua (visit Leon);Puerto Chiapas,(Tapachula). Make sure you do your homework and hire a private guide and visit the out-of-the-way small towns,thats how to get the real feel of a country.Visit archaeology sites and museums.Knowing a little Spanish goes a long way.Take a walk in the jungle of Costa Rica and Panama.Go to a local market and regular grocery store.Try the exotic fruits (peel them), try Pisco sour,cheech-cha (Chicha morada)and Inca cola (made by Coca Cola company).Keep a journal and take lots of photos.Have an open mind, it's their country and culture,that's what makes travel an experience.

The Ship: Nice and clean until the GIS that arrived onboard while we were in Lima or before, then everything was wiped down with yucky stuff to stop the spread. We were lucky the Captain was in quick response to stop the spread. Good food, fantastic crew, the best,happiest crew, I miss them already. Music: 30 days of very,very old, slow music was the worst thing.Those are songs from the 20's ("bicycle built for two") to the Tom Jones/Frank Sinatra stuff.(they play what for 30 days??). Ship needs to have a variety and have some 1950's rock&roll (and up) music for us people who in our 50 and 60's and would like to dance. Beethoven is nice, but I fall asleep and can't dance to that. Need happy music. Enjoyed the Equator ceremony! This long cruise had older people than we were, I guess due to the length of the cruise. Needed more entertainment besides string and tenor music (snore,yawn). Liked the comedy and dance acts.Good crew acts. Forget the movies,get a DVD for your room.

Summary: Would I do it again? Yes,Yes,Yes, didn't want this experience to end, wish I could do it all over again,I wouldn't change a thing except I wouldn't pack so many clothes. I had to buy luggage for our bought goodies!

Publication Date: 03/24/10