Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by jorgef98: First time on NCL and we were pleasantly surprised

jorgef98
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Southern Caribbean Cruises

First time on NCL and we were pleasantly surprised

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We live in Miami so have taken a lot of cruises-usually once a year-on a lot of the major cruise lines (Royal, Carnival, Holland, Celebrity, Costa, Dolphin) and have done the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe on cruises.

Food

This was our first time on NCL and we really liked it. We were scared about the Freestyle dining because we did not like it in Alaska on Holland but they only had the 2 regular dining rooms. NCL Dawn has 6 specialty restaurants, plus the 2 dining rooms, the upstairs buffet, and a 24 cafe.

We had decided to try all the specialty restaurants before we got on board. We like the intimate atmosphere of the smaller restaurants. Most nights, we would feed our kids in the buffet or 24 hour restaurant...then send them to Kids club from 7-10:30pm and then have our dinner/show date with a table for two...what a great end of a day after a day of sightseeing.

The food on board was average cruise food...not spectacular, not too bad. That More includes the specialty restaurants which was a bit disappointing since you are paying more for them. On other lines, the specialty restaurants are much better quality but I did not find that on NCL. When I cruise NCL again, I do not think I would go to the specialty restaurants again. If I had to choose a favorite, it was Teppanyaki and the Sushi. We were not impressed at all with Cagney's steakhouse...in fact, all the beef on board had a very strong beef taste (not sure how to describe it).

We did love the spicy chicken wings at the Blue Lagoon (24 hour restaurant)...the Blue Lagoon was also a hidden gem for breakfast. There was a limited menu but was always empty and the food was prepared fresh (omelettes) so it was better than the buffet.

Yohan (Sr. Sous chef from the Garden Grill) was great with getting me information for my daughter who was allergic to eggs and nuts. He sent her special eggless choclate chip cookies to our cabin a couple of times during our cruise and she had a standing order of eggless pancakes for breakfast.

Itinerary

I loved the 9 night cruise and the itinerary. After five straight days of ports, the last 2 sea days really allowed you recoup and relax. We loved Antigua and Tortola (Virgin Gorda Baths), thought Barbados and Samana was OK, and was disappointed by the beach in St. Kitts. See individual reviews.

The broadway style shows were EXCELLENT...we really liked the Band on the Run show and Bollywood. The South Beach Rave was also pretty good.

We were not too impressed by the comedian and magician.

The cruise director Shona and Asst Cruise Director Ray-Ray were exellent (along with their staff).

My only comment was that the entertainment/music on the ship between 9-11pm was geared towards the older (60-70's crowd) instead of the (30-40's crowd that had kids on board) since the disco did not open until 11 or 11:30pm when kids were out of camp. We figured this out after the first couple of nights of going to the 7:30pm show so switched to going to the 9:30pm show and going to dinner at 8pm instead of 6pm.

Kids Club

Our kids loved going to camp. The counselors were amazing, they did an awesome job. Thank you Silver Star, Smile, Superfly, and Panda for taking such good care of our kids.

The facilities were awesome, they had a play structure like a mini-Chuck e Cheese with crawl tunnels and ball pits excepts everything was spotless clean.

The T-Rex kids pool was also a lot of fun with some small and big slides...we spent a lot of time there.

Spa

We purchased the cruise pass for the thermal suite (steam, sauna, lap pool, whirpools) which was $119 single and $189 couple. It was a bit too pricey but we did enjoy our time there since it gave you a nice place to relax. If you want to avoid being out in the sun, this is a great place. I do think the price should be a bit lower for the pass.

If we had the choice, we would select this outside cabin again. The partial view was fine...you can see directly out but the top of the lifeboat is flush with the bottom part of your window...not a problem for us. A plus is that your window is protected so you do not hear the water or rain pounding on your window as we learned when talking to other passengers about the storm the first night. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 8128

NCL Dawn Cabin 8128 We loved this cabin, it was a handicap cabin so the room and bathroom felt spacious. It was located above Blue Lagoon and we were worried about being directly above the 24 hour restaurant but we did not hear a sound. We loved being at the back of the ship (close to the elevators/stair to get up to the kids club and kids pool, gym/spa, and buffet restaurant) and 1 deck down from all the entertainment areas. If we had the choice, we would select this outside cabin again. The partial view was fine...you can see directly out but the top of the lifeboat is flush with the bottom part of your window...not a problem for us. A plus is that your window is protected so you do not hear the water or rain pounding on your window as we learned when talking to other passengers about the storm the first night.

Antigua was one of our two favorite stops. We ended up going to the Nest Restaurant Bar at Valley Church Beach...it was a picture perfect day. It looked like a postcard.

We took a cab which charged us $8 each way and half price for the kids. He dropped us off and we told him what time to pick us up and we paid him at the end.

The beach was amazing with crystal clear blue water. The beach chairs were $5 each and the umbrella was $10. The local beers were $3 and the pina coladas were $5 (which were great). I also recommend the coconut shrimp.

I rented a waive runner which was $40 for 30 minutes and my 2 girls got their hair braided for $50 for the whole head (I would not recommend doing it here because it was a bit expensive and they did not last for more than a couple of days).

When we first arrived, it was pretty empty. However, a couple of cruise tours (including NCL) had a stop for lunch there but they were not there too long.

I could see the Jolly Roger beach from my Wave Runner and it seemed a lot more congested (and choppy seas) so I think we made the right choice.

Our 5 hours there flew by and I wish we were there right now...this was the perfect day for us.

Read 806 Antigua Reviews

We were a bit disappointed with Barbados but I think it is because of the beach we ended up going to because for others, this was one of there highlight stops.

We went to Bar Ka'nei at Accra beach...I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE. The taxi charged us $7.50 pp each was and half off for the kids. We arrived at Bar Ka'nei and encountered by a Romanian woman (who ended up being the owner)...she was not very friendly and had horrible customer service. We had such a nice time at Antigua the day before that this ended up being such a disappointment. The two chairs and umbrella were $20 which gave you the same credit for food/bar (so you get it free) but getting bad service can put a damper on your day. The fried flying fish we had for lunch was not very good. The beach was a bit choppy but the water was fine. It is a shame because they have the potential for a great place but it seemed like they were doing us a favor by having to serve us.

I wish we would have gone to Lobster Alive or the Boatyard which are right next to each other...the water seemed much nicer there and several people on our ship had a great day there.

Read 706 Barbados Reviews

We were really looking forward to St. Kitts because we had never been there. However, we were disappointed by the beach at the end of our tour which was our last port of call.

We took Rose and Jim's tour which was very nice. Rose was very knowledgeable about the island and gave us a great tour. It was probably a bit longer for us (since we prefer the beach and have smaller kids) but the tour itself was great.

As I said, my biggest disappointment was that I was expecting a great beach (Reggae bar at Cockleshell beach) but it was filled with big rocks and seaweed in the water and was a dark green color.

If you find something interesting in St. Kitts, you should avoid the beach or do not expect too much from it.

We had an amazing day! We took Smith's ferry to Virgin Gorda and went to the Baths which was beautiful. This was one of the highlights of our trip.

When you get off the ship, you can walk to the ferries (Speedy's or Smith's). I had called ahead and was expecting to pay $38 round trip (including the taxi to the Baths in Virgin Gorda) but they were haggling for business between the two and we ended up paying $30 RT including the taxis and the kids were free! We chose Smith's because of the ferry times but both are the same.

The Baths were amazing. We went with our 2.5 and 4.5 year old and was worried about getting through the Baths with them (and all the bags that go along with traveling with small kids). We had to ask for some help a couple of times getting through the Baths since it was only the 4 of us but I am glad that we did it.

We were rewarded with Devils Beach at the end of the Baths which was like a postcard...picture perfect!

At the end of the day, we took the upper trail back to the parking lot because we were all tired to go back through the Baths. The trail was long but easier to get through. We were beat at the end of the day.

There are no facilities at the end of the Baths at Devil's beach (only at the beginning). We took drinks and snacks to get us through the day.

Read 502 Tortola Reviews