Carnival Victory Cruise Review by dolfndreams: Beautiful Southern

Beautiful Southern

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Flew to San Juan from Las Vegas. Airfare was a sticking point for me but tempted into the itinerary with a port a day. I ended up taking a bump for credit ($350 credit with hotel/meals) on my way to San Juan knowing I was arriving a day early and my flight had been $391. Great way to start the trip and ended up arriving in San Juan at 5p the day of embarcation. A bit nerve racking but well worth it (especially since I used my credit for airfare to return next year to San Juan)

Went straight to port and since it was later in the afternoon no lines for embarking and was soon on the ship and able to go straight to my room. This was my second great surprise. I was travelling solo (third solo trip and I must admit it is becoming my favorite way to travel). I had cabin 2444 and was expecting a twin bed. I had booked this room specifically for the two windows and it was better than advertised. Short hallway and a big window over the (queen) bed with a couch and another big window More behind the couch. Perfect views the entire cruise. I had a view through the windows from bed or bathroom and even when sitting on the couch window view reflected in the mirrors. Loved this room and planned out next years trip to have the same one. A bit of louder noises when arriving into port but otherwise absolutely perfect.

Great steward who when I let him know I was not doing dining in the evenings actually started making my towel animals during his morning clean up time. I had absolutely none of the problems earlier reviews had made me wary of. Every crew member I ran into was polite and most were very friendly. I did use the lido and room service for meals and either had incredibly good luck or just timed it right and never waited more than 3-4 minutes for a meal, morning room service arrived on time all but one day when the card had not been picked up and when I called was there in 5-10 minutes.

I had been on Holland America for two cruises and Carnival Glory last trip and liked this port debarcation method better. Instead of going to a central point I would walk to the end of the hall and down a flight of stairs, off the ship in a short time after they opened the doors, seemed to floor well at least from my level. No tendering this trip so of course this helped, but still felt very smooth. I actually enjoyed being on the second level as I could take stairs instead of worrying about elevators. But again no issues with people blocking stairs/elevators etc I had read about.

I am a port and not a ship board activity person so can't speak to entertainment. I had made a decision to do an excursion a day and just relax in the evenings with my laptop for movies and arranging pictures and came home relaxed and with amazing memories. I did all but one of the excursions through cruise critic recommendations and they were exceptional. The only one I will change for next year was my Carnival excursion to St. John and it wasn't bad just not as good as the others.

Met some great people on this cruise, one a young couple before even leaving the states as they took the bump along with me from the airlines. Friendly passengers, great experiences and a lovely ship. Food in the lido was good and no complaints, loved the fact my room was right below lido so I could grab a meal after returning from the excursion, hit the elevator and be in my room in five minutes. Cheapest on board expenses I have ever had, used one of the large water bottles and with my carnival bottle holder could refill it up at the lido each day. Only left with the $70 in tips (I did leave full tips since it was a deliberate choice to not do the dining) and about $4.00 for the bottle and tip for the steward.

I had been able to switch my Segway tour in San Juan from embarcation day to the day after we came back to San Juan. Highly recommend the Segway, it is amazingly fun. It was drizzling that day but they supplied raincoats, Natalya was our guide and gave us the history of the sights while we played driving the segway up the cobblestone streets and across the lawns to the Fort, loved this tour.

I stayed that night at the Howard Johnson Plaza de Armas.I had packed a cheap poncho and HJ let you leave your luggage in the back room until check in time at 3:00. A bit uneasy the first couple of minutes, rain and a bit nervous about getting lost, of course once I took a second to think I realized that would be impossible since the free trolley stopped right at the door of the hotel or close to that. Next year plan on getting myself totally lost exploring, find the closest trolley sign when I get tired and enjoy the ride back to the hotel. Really could not be in a better place for a hotel with easy access to everything from grocery store/drug store/ starbucks and subway if you were missing US coffee/food, Bought a exceptionally good pastry from the Plaza across the street. Next years goal is to visit La Bombera and Barrachina(?) for my pina colada.

Awesome trip. I had a single twin room for $89 a night and really thought it was nice (after the reviews was expecting a closet) I did request bottom floor and they gave me a room at the back of the lobby, decent sized room and a nice bathroom, not huge but about the size of a bedroom in a house, felt like staying at Grandma's. Comfortable bed, nice shower and bathroom.

Perfect way to end the trip since the flight out was about 8:30 and the airport was almost empty. Taxi let me off at the agriculture check point and was through security in 5 minutes. Much better than trhing to struggle through with 5-8000 other people coming off the cruise. Things flowed perfectly this trip. Here is hoping next year is just as great. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Upper/Lower Main 2444

1A well worth the money. Two windows, comfortable couch and at least this trip a queen bed for $690 (solo traveler) best deal I've ever had. Short hallway cut down on noise from other cabins. Some rumbling in the early morning arriving to port, otherwise did not find it noisy, only sound the soft rumble of the engines. Location perfect for going to lido and bring back meals. Loved the views, window a bit streaked but didn't take away from view, able to watch us arrive and leave each port, good side for nice view in all but two ports. There was a decent hairdrier in the bathroom, didn't use my own as it worked well enough. Suitecases fit under the bed. Steward used two comforters to pad the bed when I asked for a eggcrate mattress, incredibly good pillows and comforter, love Carnivals bedding

Silvermoon Catarmaran here. I only rate it a 4 in comparison to the others. A very good experience but next year will try to get on the 12 person catamaran. They met us at port and were soon on the catamaran.

I think I had my expectations a bit higher because of rave reviews and while they were very good the 24 person catamaran was about the same as other excursions I had done. I suspect the personal attention would be much higher on the 12 person. Crew polite and fellow passengers were great. Lots of space to spread out and meal was good. Blender broken so no pina coladas (and if that is your biggest complaint for a day things are pretty good:) Meal was good if not exceptional and the warm banana bread was great.

A beautiful sailing day, swam with the turtles taking lots of pictures and over the shipwreck, good but not the best snorkeling I was able to do this trip. Lovely time all together and will definitely try to be back with them next yer.

Read 706 Barbados Reviews

Loved this island. I did Bumpiing tours per CC recommendations and they were great. Vivian was our guide and he was great, told us about the island, fed us as many drinks as we could hold (local beer, water, soda). Swam into Titou Gorge, walked to the waterfalls (next year hoping to do the Middleham falls but not in good enough shape this year), visited the volcano (could have missed this without a problem, but not bad) and finished up snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Back at the ship an hour or so before leaving.

Roads here are not something I would attempt, still trying to figure out how they would pass each other:) Driver was excellent though and felt completely safe. Gorgeous views on the drive, beautiful rainforest country. My favorite island I think.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Did Carnival Island tour on St. John, it did let me get some great overlook shots of the beaches and homes, not something I would do twice mainly because it was difficult to see much except at overlook points since foliage was too tall. Our guide while adequate was pretty basic, the other bus's guide seemed a bit more energetic.

It did let me know I would be snorkeling down at Trunk Bay next year, absolutely stunningly beautiful.

Went with Rose & Jim's taxi to see St. Kitts. We had Rose a nice english lady who had married a local and lived on the island for 26+ years. Learned alot and have some great pictures especially from around the Batik factory. I enjoyed this tour but not quite as enjoyable (hard to follow Cosal I'm afraid) We did end with Cockleshell beach, crowded and not really my thing.

Two couples and I asked to be taken back early to the ship and Rose was great in doing so and coming back for the 4 who had wanted to stay at the beach. Definitely would recomend Rose & Jim although I will pick another tour operator next time just for a different perspective on the island. Again drought here but still green and lovely. Great photo ops at Brimstone fortress/coastline and Batik factory grounds.

Had to do Cosal tours based on the reviews and it was as good as they say. Redbird (Cosal's brother) was our guide. All the people gathered in the plaza right off the ship and they split us all up in to parties of 8-10. Lots of room in the van. Definitely didn't feel as crowded as you would think it should with as many vans as they had (I think 8 on this day). They stagger so you are the only van at most stops and where we all met up there was food and the blue van with all the drinks.

Rum punch was awesome, and the food stop for a mixture of sampler trays of local foods was great (Piton chicken amazing). Lots of stops for pictures, a small boat ride over to a beach (fires burning all over the island since they had no rain for 3 monts) so the beach stop was a bit shorter than normal, falling rocks from the cliffs/fire kept us from snorkeling. We didn't see any but security was clearing out every one. Since I had forgotten to bring a swimsuit (Reminder to self, never forget your swimsuit you will be getting wet/swimming:)

Ended with a stop on the way back to the boat for hot bread/cheese that was amazing.. I am still in awe at the smooth running of this excursion, we were out for 7hrs and it flew by, saw an incredible amount of the island. Great job by Cosal and definitely will repeat next year. If this is the island with a 3 month drought I want to see it at its best. Lovely

I was afraid I would be to tired by this point but this ended up being one of my favorite excursions. I signed up for Captain Alan's 3 island Snorkel based on some trip advisor reviews mostly. It was incredibly fun. Small boat but only 5 of use 2 local vactioners, a british couple from the ship next to us and me. I'm sorry not to remember the guide's name because he was amazing. Friendly helpful and a great person to spend the day with.

Snorkeled at three different locations and he tried to get us close to watch a Regatta that was taking place that day, sails as far as the eye could see which was a nice bonus. Since they can't go where they used to for the volcanic mud bath he brought some along and took us to a beautiful beach and brought a bucket with the mud he mixed up. With his promises this would take off 16years:) we slathered up with the mud, let it dry then off for a swim in the bluest water I've ever seen. Fun and it really did make my skin feel amazing. You will however be showering off sand back at the ship, well worth it.

Wonderful way to end the cruise, fast bouncy boat ride, lots of snorkeling and laughter. Another repeat for next year, they usually see turtles etc per our guide, even without special sightings a great day.