Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Cutyo

Carnival Pride
Member Name: Cutyo
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Baltimore
See More About: Carnival Pride Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        10-12 4.0

Carnival's
I write this review with great trepidation because I was always taught to talk about what I know and not what I suspect, because the difference between the two is that the former is factual while the later is rumors. But for the sake of sharing my experience on the Carnival Cruise Ship called the Pride, I will dispell those words of wisdom and lay it on the line. For starters, I knew my daughter and I were going to go on a ride of our lives.

Prior to embarkation, the DC Metropolitan Area experienced a snow storm that left me shoveling my way out of my driveway and ice-ca-pading down I95 to the port in Baltimore. Once we were on the ship and in our stateroom, (of which I cannot for the life of me remember the room number, only that it was on the 1st floor, odd side.) The first thing out of my daughter's mouth was, "This isn't a Disney Cruise!" The room, with it's nice size port hole, was a tad bit tight. The two beds looked as though if they were put together, they would form into a twin size bed. (Mind you, my daughter and I are not biggums, we're slender in staue.) And the bathroom.., my bedroom closet is bigger.

The first night at sea went well until we had to turn the ship around and do an emergency stop in New Port News Virginia to have a passenger disembark. Apparently (now this information I am about to share was pieced together from my ship mates suspicion coupled with updates from the ship's Entertainment Director via the PA system) A lady (elderly I believe.) was taking a shower and as the ship rocked back and forth, she lost her footing and fell out of the shower and cracked her head on the sink, causing serious damage to her neck. It was so serious that the ship's medical staff was ill equipped to handle her injury. After the shipped was cleared to continue on our journey to Nassau and Freeport, we experienced yet another incident.

It was the day after Christmas, when we docked in Freeport. Everyone was excited to dismbark and enjoy what Freeport had to offer (nothing earth shattering) But for some reason, we were unable to disembark for a total of 3 hours. The Cruise Entertainment Director had us believe that the custom agent partied hard the night before and was the reason for the hold-up. Well, it would happen, my dinner mates were on the same floor where an 18 or 19 year old died. It wasn't customs that was the hold up, but the coroner and a host of other important people that were called to the ship to investigate the child's death.

Outside the above listed snafus, and considering that this wasn't a Disney cruise, the cruise wasn't THAT bad. I did experience a little sea sickness. A couple times the ship did rock and shake violently. The food at the early dinner time was great. The pea soup was to die for. The only bad experience with food my daughter and I had was the buffet on the Lido deck. None of it looked inviting to my daughter and I so we hardly went there to eat. When we did, it was breakfast, and even that wasn't that great. The flavoring was bland and my egg whites were either too oily or runny. The staff was awesome and the shows were good; however, the comdian they chose (forgot his name too) bashed women. Although I was not bothered by it, some guest took offense to it. Although I swore I would try another cruise line for my next trip, I allowed my travel agent to book me for this upcoming Christmas on the Carnival Dream. I'm hearing mixed reviews. I guess I will find out come December whether I should've booked that Disney Cruise instead.

Publication Date: 03/22/10