Carnival Valor Cruise Review by sayvan: Tales Of Valor

Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Tales Of Valor

Sail Date: February 2010

We started our journey, leaving Southwestern Ontario and driving across the Canadian border into Buffalo, New York where we left on a Delta Flight to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. For the next seven days snow and cold would be a thing of the past. Our Cruise was the week of Feb 21-28.

After a brief stop in Atlanta, we arrived the day before our cruise in Florida. We decided to stay at the Homewood Suites, Ft. Lauderdale Airport-cruise port hotel. The reason for choosing this particular hotel was that they offered a Airport pick up and had a cruise Miami package which would provide us with transportation to the Port of Miami in the morning. The hotel also provided a breakfast which included both hot and cold cereals, eggs, juice etc. The hotel was exceptional clean and the rooms were spacious with a kitchen.

We left for the Port of Miami around 11am and were at the Port around 11:45.

Embarkation:

After arriving at the Port and dropping off our luggage More (making sure the porters were taken care of) we headed into the terminal where we were greeted with two full lines backed up to the entrance doors. Upon first view it looked like it may take us awhile to get through the process, however the line moved steadily and we were through security within about 20 minutes. Once through the metal detectors we headed up to the registration area and again met up with another line of fellow passengers. This line moved even faster and the self kiosk check in was incredibly efficient. My kudos go out to both the Port and the Carnival employees because by 12:30 we were on the ship and heading to the Lido for a bite to eat while we waited for our room to be ready.

By 1:30 our room was ready. Our accommodations for this week would find us in room 1102 on the spa deck. The location was fabulous as we only had a few steps to go to get to Rosie's on the Lido or out to the sunshine of the open decks.

1102 of course was a balcony room with floor to ceiling sliding doors. The room slept four reasonably well and we never really felt crowded. We had one neighbor on the one side but as 1102 is located at the end of the hallway only the Spa was on the other side. This has got to be one of the quietest rooms I have ever been in.

The ship itself was gorgeous with its American theme. In particular, we loved the "Rosie the Riveter" mural and themes of the Lido buffet. Some areas of the ship, seemed a bit flashy but over all the decor was very pleasing. What I always find amazing on these ships is that with over 3000 passengers you seldom feel crowded and can always find a place to go where you can have some serenity.

Our room steward was fantastic, he knew all our names and never hesitated to greet us when passing in the hall way. Likewise, our dinners in the main dining room also provided a pleasant experience. Our two stewards were also attentive and went out of their way to make sure we were looked after. The food was more than pleasing. I always find it amazing how some folks complain about such things. For me, someone was serving me as much as I wanted and cleaning it all up after. Further, there is no chocolate melting cake at home!

On our first day at sea, we had a meet and greet with those of us that had participated in the roll call on cruise critic. It was nice to finally put a name and face to the 'handles" that folks use on the site. It was unfortunate that not all showed who said they would but that's how it goes I suppose.

I have read some other negative reviews from some who were on the same cruise we were. I have to admit, with all due respect, they need some more vacation time. Although the weather was shaky at times we enjoyed temperatures of over 75F each day at the least. On the sea days we were met with rain but by mid afternoon the sun was shining and the tans were browning. We did not experience any rain on any of the port days. How can anyone complain about time away from work or home, the open sea and cruising! Furthermore, I found all the passengers on the ship to be pleasant, considerate and very easy to get along with regardless of where they came from or their background. When were on vacation we all have the same lot in life... Good Times!

I would definitely recommend the Valor to anyone. She is a beautiful ship with lots to do. I thought the entertainment crew did a fine job and Big Tex our cruise director was friendly, went out of his way to greet you and helped to keep us informed throughout. The ship has a nice mini golf course, great sushi bar and excellent fish and chips on the second level of Rosie's. The Theater is very large (3 levels) and although we did not attend all the shows those we did were well put together. We also had lots of fun in the Karaoke bar.

Watch for my upcoming video/picture presentations of our adventures and of the ship.

And now for the Ports...... Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Spa 1102

Cat 8F room 1102. Spa deck The room was very spacious with a great balcony and the view was fabulous. We are on the port side. The room has the convertible king bed with a drop down single from the roof and couch that converted to another single bed. There was no noise at all as this room is located at the end of the hallway with a another guest room on one side and the spa on the other. The room is located close to elevators and stairs and also just outside are the open decks and short walk to Rosie's.

The second Port on this journey was Belize. I heard many negatives going into here and I have to admit, I was a little concerned. However, once in the port I did not feel any insecurities.

In Belize you have to tender into shore. No complaints with this process. We did not have a Carnival excursion planned but found the process to be very efficient and we had perhaps a twenty minute wait for our tender.

We booked an excursion with Cave-Tubing.com. I read some great reviews on cruise critic and I have to say they were bang on. After an informative bus ride through Belize City, we embarked on a 45 minute journey to the tubing site. Once at the sight we had another 20 minute walk through the jungle along the shore of the river until we reached the caves. This was an awesome sight. The caves were fantastic and the cave tubing folks did a great job. The water is very cool when you first get in but you quickly adapt.

We did not have much time to really visit the port once our excursion was over but I would definitely want to head back to Belize to explore some more. Just another reason to book another cruise.

I loved this Port. Our excursion on this day was through the ship and we did the Jungle Beach Break. We took a 20-30 minute bus ride to the beach and you can see that this port is still recovering from hurricanes of the past as you travekl along. The Jungle beach Break was a great place. Open bar and the line ups were not that bad. They had three bars open, two by the main building and one on the beach. Food was also available for a slight cost.

The beach was very clean and the chairs were readily available. The music on the beach was great and we enjoyed this day very much (perhaps too much).

As we headed back to the port the party atmosphere continued as the Port area has many shops, a small beach, a large swimming pool with a swim up bar. There were 3 ships in Port on this day and despite the numbers we did not feel any overcrowding. It looked to me that many were having a great time.

(5.5)
This was our second visit to Cozumel. I love this Island. The waters are a perfect aqua blue and crystal clear. On this day, we had an excursion planned on a catamaran for some snorkeling and a beach break but unfortunately the waters were a bit rough and the excursion was cancelled. Plan B... we decided to take a taxi tour of the Island and spent the day travelling around the entire island with stops in the typical tourist places, three beaches and two stops at some Mayan ruins. We enjoyed the day and loved seeing a different view of the island. Once back at the port, we spent time browsing the many shops and cooling off with a nice cold one at some local bars.

We also got to experience the dreaded passengers missing the boat as we were leaving port. On our balcony, we could see the ship starting to move away from the pier and low and behold come a group of about 5 running to the ship. I can only imagine the feeling they must have had. However on this day, the Captain must have been in a good mood as he quickly stopped the ship and started pulling it back to the pier and allowed these late comers back on-board..much to the cheers and jeers of all the passengers watching from the decks above.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

Our last port of call was Grand Cayman. We were unable to tender into Georgetown because of the water conditions but fortunately we were able to get into to Spotts Bay. We headed out for our tender around 10:30 am and were on shore by 11:30. We did not have an excursion planned for this day but at the last minute decided to do the Stingray City and snorkeling excursion. We used an independent group for this and all went well. The weather was quite windy on this day but as had been the pattern in other ports by the afternoon the sun was shining and the sky was blue. I was never too enticed by the stingray thing but now its off the bucket list. The snorkeling in Grand Cayman was great. Waters were clear and the colorful fish were abundant. I was hoping to get to jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville but that was not in the plan on this day. Just another reason to go back!