Westerdam Cruise Review by chris from ohio: Westerdam - Almost great, but a little loopy

chris from ohio
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Westerdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Westerdam - Almost great, but a little loopy

Sail Date: February 2010

My wife and I have traveled on Holland America Line ships several times, and we looked forward to a week in late February 2010 on board the Westerdam in the Eastern Caribbean. Overall, it was very good.

The ship was beautiful! As one of the new Vista class ships the cabins were much improved and the public areas were larger and very sharp. The art on board was terrific. This ship was a honey!

The good: The room stewards and the Vista dining room staff was excellent. As good as ever on HAL ships. The food was wonderful. The deck crew kept the Westerdam spotless. The on board shows were very good - the musical/ variety shows were very impressive.

The odd: There are some small, odd omissions on this HAL ship that were not there on the Maasdam and the Amsterdam - two earlier ships that we really enjoyed. First, there are no clothes iron on board a Vista ship to take the wrinkles out of my shirts that airline baggage handlers installed on the trip down from More Ohio. Also, there is no laundry on board in which to do a load of wash. The price for a clean and press from the on board cleaner was steep.

When we went to the informal dining area (Vista restaurant) the trays were gone! On other ships, one put one's drink, salad, and entree on a tray and went from the serving line to the seating area. One the Westerdam, there were no trays, and this lead to several trips to and from. Service was awkward, slow, and congested. Dumb idea straight from elementary school!

The Captain was witty and informative over the PA, but I never saw him on the ship. He skipped the Mariner's luncheon. The Cruise Director was pleasant, but not really as involved as on other ships. The ship's officers were a bit distant.

I'd go again. But I'd also sneak a clothes iron and a serving tray into my luggage! Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 5067

5067 had a small balcony. The bedding was very good, and the room was nice. We liked the room overall. Nice. My wife said the hair drier could not dry Yul Brenner's hair. (He was bald.)

The area at the end of the pier is the place to be at Grand Turk! The shipping companies have installed a beautiful beach area and a great shopping spot. Grand Turk is small and a bit primitive. To enjoy it, rent a moped or doonbuggy and enjoy the wind in your hair. It is small.

San Juan is a beautiful stop to walk around in, shop, and eat. We find something new and beautiful every time we go.

Read 1362 San Juan Reviews

This place is pretty, busy, and a hoot. The shopping area is extensive, the choice of shops is large, and it is pretty. You can walk around and have a great experience. It only gets better the further you go.