Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by Charles Melmed: My last Costa Cruise

0 Post

Cabin Not Rated

My last Costa Cruise

Sail Date: December 2009

Our first cruise with Costa was on the Frederica C in the 70's. This was our sixth cruise with Costa.

The Atlantica is a beautiful ship. We have been on 45 cruises and embarkation on this cruise was the smoothest ever. We couldn't believe how fast we went through embarkation.

Previous to boarding, we contacted Costa and asked if I would have a problem with a request for a low protin diet. I suffer from kidney problems. I was advised that the ship's personnel would be advised and my request would handled.

I also checked with the Costa Club and was told that my wife would receive the same benefits that I was entitled to since she had the same number of credits. That turned out not to be the case. We are not wine drinkers but were disappointed that we did not receive one bottle each. We were told on ship that it would be one bottle per cabin. The Club people shold have known this.

We were supposedly upgraded to to an ocean view cabin. It was an More obstructed view which wouldn't be so bad but their was a tarp covering a lifeboat directly outside the window and every windy night this made a terrible racket and kept us up half the night.

The fist night in the dining room, the dining room manager came to our table and asked me if I was the one who requested a low protein diet. He never came back again for the rest to the cruise. I was called from the Cursers office the third day and asked about the diet. I told them about the dining room manager's visit. They said they would take care of it. They didn't.

Two days later a note was left in our cabin. It looked like to said something about a debt. Turns out it was another note about the diet. Again nothing was done.

The dining room service was quite poor. We ordered salads that were never served, ice tea and sugar substitute was constantly forgotten and worst of all, the waiter smelled bad!

There was a fruit basket in our cabin the first day. It was treated like a special treat. A club member benefit. For the rest of the cruise, we had to obtain fruit from the buffet. They also made a big deal out of a piece of chocholate the first evening. I can't remember any of our many cruises where there wasn't a fruit basket every night and choacalate every evening.

We decided to try the buffet for breakfast. It was a disaster. The food was cold and it took us 10 minutes to find a place to sit. The serving lined in the buffet area are scattered all over the place, completely disorganized. We tried the buffet once for lunch. After walking around for I don't know how long, looking for a place to sit, we finally put the trays of food down and went to the dining room. By then it was too late. It was closed.

We were told by FOUR other couples that they were upgraded to a balcony and paid $100 less for the cruise. They didn't book directly with Costa. We wrote to the President of Costa. We received a weak apology. We felt that being a past cruiser, we would have gotten better treatment. They seemed to think we were asking for compensation.

The entertainment was better than average. The Cruise Director was quite good.

We didn't get off the ship at the ports. We've been to these islands too many times already. We enjoy having the ship to ourselves when most of the passengers get off at the islands.

Disembarking was relatively smooth.

We will NEVER cruise with Costa again. Less