Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Margienj: The Dream of a Lifetime

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

The Dream of a Lifetime

Sail Date: February 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Our trip began at 4am the day of sailing. We had no choice but to fly the day of which with the weather in the Northeast was nerve-wracking to say the least. However, our flight left on time and we arrived in Orlando at 9:45am. We were immediately greeted by the Carnival Transfer people who directed us to a bus. We were at the port by 11:15 which surprised me since they say the buses don't begin running till 11:30/12. Embarkation was a breeze and we were on the ship by 12:00.

Our first impression was simply awe at the beauty upon stepping into the Atrium lobby. By far it is the most elegant we have seen. We went directly to the Lido deck but had a very hard time finding anywhere to sit. It seems that those who had arrived earlier found seats and never moved (even though they were long done eating). We did get to eat finally and then found our cabin. We had a starboard side balcony and it was no different than any other balcony we have had in the past. Kudos to Carnival for the More change in the muster drill. We sat in comfort in the Crimson Dining room for the drill which was nice since it was "cold and rainy" in "sunny Florida.

Our meals were excellent and the dining room staff was superb. We did the Steakhouse one night and that was a elegant experience. I don't know if I would do it again only because the food is so good in the main dining room and we missed the staff song and dance. We couldn't get enough of the Ice cream and pizza.

The shows were all new for us and we especially enjoyed "Dancing in the Street". That is a not to be missed show. Having John Heald as the cruise director was an added plus. He is extremely talented as CD's go. He really knows how to work a crowd. We did have some tragedy on this trip with the death of one of the passengers but John handled that in a very compassionate and professional way.

There is plenty of seating on the Lido deck for sunbathing, and many hot tubs to choose from. The Water park and slides was a blast. At 53 years old, I went down the funnel slide and love, love, loved it. Can't wait for the opportunity to do it again.

My husband spent almost all his time in the casino. He is a smoker and he had no problem with the new regulations for smokers in the casino. He found "his" table and proceeded to WIN almost every night. Now that's what I call a good cruise.

Debarkation also went very smoothly. We again used the Carnival transfer to the airport. My only problem was that our flight was not till 6:15 pm and we were at the airport at 11. We booked our airfare long after I had booked the transfers. I thought we might be able to do a post cruise tour of Kennedy Space Center and just apply the cost of the transfer to the tour. But we would have had to pay the full tour price then contact Carnival for a refund of the transfer cost. Wasn't worth the effort. So we spent the day in the Orlando airport. Thank God for free internet.

We are already in the planning stages for next year and will then be one year closer to platinum. We love Carnival and hope to be able to cruise for years to come. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Verandah 8277

Our location was great, close to the main elevators. Only noisy when kids were running and screaming down the hall. Starboard side was port side on two of the three islands. Plenty of room for four occupants and there possessions.

We booked the Atlantis Beach excursion which included lunch. We had reserved our reservations online months in advance. Apparently it was cheaper for us that way than the price charged on board. It was well worth the money. We toured the Dig, and the Aquarium at Atlantis. We had chairs and towels included at the beach. It was a little chilly yet but the sun was warm when it wasn't behind a cloud. We were back on the ship in plenty of time to grab more food before the crowds came back and even got into a hot tub all to ourselves.

Read 2624 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten is by far my favorite island. This is the third time in four years that we have been there. In the past we took the tours offered by the ship. But this time we were going out on our own. We got a cab at the port for $7 a person and after fighting lots of traffic we arrived at Maho Beach. The Regatta was scheduled to start the next day, so the traffic was due to the arriving boats and yachts causing the bridge to open numerous times. But once we got to the beach all traffic was forgotten. We found a spot and got out the cameras for the arriving planes. That's the main draw of this beach. It was beautiful, hot and fun. We stayed for about 3 1/2 hours and then grabbed a cab back to the ship. I can't wait to go back to St. Maarten again.

Since we had been to St. Thomas before we decided to go it alone. We grabbed a cab to Red Hook to take the ferry to St. John. From there we got a cab to Trunk Bay Beach. It was beautiful and not very crowded. We spent a couple of hours on the beach and then got a cab back to the ferry. This time we took the ferry directly to Charlotte Amalie so that we could walk through town a bit for shopping. It was a little bit of a hike back but not too bad. I did lose my Sail and Sign card in our travels. However, it was still very easy to get back on board. They just issued me a new one once on board. St. Thomas is a beautiful island that we will probably visit again.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews