Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by lynneinmn: My husband LOVES me!!!

lynneinmn
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

My husband LOVES me!!!

Sail Date: February 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

First I better introduce us--husband, myself. We moved to Houston three years ago from Minnesota. Our kids still live in MN. We have cruised 8 times before Carnival-Royal Caribbean-Princess. We love the fact that we can now drive to a port and get on a ship!! We cruised Carnival Conquest last year-happen to love the ship!! We booked this cruise only two weeks before departure, we were going to go to Disney World this vacation but decided the prices were too high so my husband said DO IT!!

Day 1-the first thing that I did when I woke up on Sunday was check the web cam to make sure that the Conquest was in port and waiting for us (the cruise before us was delayed due to fog) There it was! Start packing. We left our house in Spring, TX at 9 a.m. Once over the bridge in Galveston we saw the tail---knew it was not too long until we were on board. We parked at E-Z cruise which we love--not too many people were there yet and we rode to the terminal on the bus by ourselves. Handed More the bags to the porter at the terminal and away we go. Made it through security with no problems-had two bottles of wine in carry on-never a question. The terminal line was about a 15 minute wait-after getting sign and sail cards we were ushered to a waiting area for about 15 more minutes and then on the ship after the welcome aboard picture. Our cabins were not ready until 1:30 p.m. so off to the Lido for the first of many buffets.

Since the USA Canada Hockey game was on we stayed in our cabin and watched it in between watching went out on the balcony to look at the sites, not much to look at yet as we had not sailed. The muster took place around 3:30 and it is a breeze now that you do not have to bring your life jackets. Our luggage arrived right as it was time for dinner--hurried and unpacked. Went out on the balcony just as leaving Galveston---did not see any dolphins this time but was excited to be on our way.

Early seating for dinner, found our table 510 (a booth) seated with another couple from Houston. Our dinner was LONG the first night, really seemed that the waiter and assistant had a LOT of tables-in fact they turned the lights on when we were finishing our desserts and we were one of the last out of the dining room. This was the only night that we ate in the dining room.

Explored the ship--checked into the casino (never won anything except the very last night my husband won 180.00!!) Went to the Welcome Aboard show--there was a trivia game which to my surprise my husband participated in---He was FLEXIBLE. Off to bed as there is a sea day and we have to be up early to get a chair.

Day 2--sea. Up at 7 a.m. off to the lido deck to get a chair---already there were people saving chairs with towels and books!! We ate a quick breakfast and picked our chairs. We always seem to sit in the same place every day and we have fun seeing the same people sit in the same places (in fact we have names for everyone) The jumbotron has the same videos playing all the time--that would be one of the things that I would change. Stayed out on deck until 3-4 p.m. then time to get ready for first elegant night.

We decided to try the Point Steakhouse for the elegant night. We loved our last experience there and it does not disappoint!! I had the lobster tail and my husband had the 24 ounce porterhouse. The bread is awesome-make sure you try the rolls which are like pop overs and are the BEST! To us this is definitely worth the 30 pp charge no question. The dessert I had was the chocolate one---four different chocolate selections WOW!!

We did not go to the Point and Click show-we opted instead to watch the movie Land of the Lost on the jumbotron which was okay. Off to bed for another sea day tomorrow.

Day 3-sea day Same thing as day 2 except did the buffet for dinner--we just like to do our own thing. The show was Motown review--very good, went up to the deck to see Chicago with Earth Wind and Fire---AWESOME. It is so fun to be able to sit on the deck in the cool blue chairs rock the night away and watch movies!!

Day 4-Jamaica. Last year when we were in Jamaica we docked on the port side of the ship--the side I picked for our cabin but this time we docked on the aft side so we could not see what was going on in Jamaica. Last year we watched from our deck as a band played and people threw money down to them, I have no idea if this happened this year as we were on the wrong side. Sorry but I cannot comment on anything about this port as we do not get off the ship--we just relax and spend time out in the sun. Dinner in the buffet again tonight. DO NOT MISS the show tonight which was Lady Hellevi-magic and illusion- she is fantastic!! How she does some of the things she does I have no idea and on a moving cruise ship!!! The movie tonight at 6 p.m. was Michael Jackson so we watched that until going to the show--have to rent it as I loved it-then after the show we went back out and saw Planet Earth which was okay. There are blankets available at the towel shack.

Day 5 Grand Cayman---tender stop. Looked out on the balcony and saw no land so knew that we were probably not stopping in Grand Cayman and shortly after had the announcement that due to high winds they had closed the port so another sea day for us. Got out to the deck by 7 a.m. and was amazed at all the people that were out there already saving chairs---probably because every one was awake for tendering to Grand Cayman. I felt bad that we were not able to go to Grand Cayman even though we do not get off the ship, I knew there were a lot of people that do. I even heard about a bride and groom that missed their wedding (felt really bad for them). Heard a lot of people complaining about not being able to port...was not the fault of the captain so you just have to take it all in stride-after all you are on vacation!!! The show that night was Formidable which we did not go to. It is also the second elegant night which we did not do--off to the buffet again. The movie on deck was Land of the Lost which we had seen so we went to the casino and lost....

Day 6 Cozumel--Docked. Our balcony faced the dock--beside us was the Carnival Valor---it was fun to see the ships side by side. We did get off the ship in Cozumel just to walk around--lots of shopping. We relaxed in beach chairs and just people watched. There were a lot of excursions leaving and we watched the people getting on the boats--parasailing etc. Looked fun but not something that we participate in. Back on the ship--out in the sun. Notice a pattern here? We love to just sun and relax....and eat!!! The show tonight is another DO NOT MISS!!! It is juggler Manuel Zuniga and comedian Marc Rubben. They were both excellent, make sure you attend!! The movie on the jumbotron was Angels and Demons which we did not attend.

Day 7--Sea Day---this is it!! No more....last day of vacation and we took full advantage of the chairs---very windy and cold today but we still went out on deck and stayed until late in the afternoon---the sun finally came out mid day. It was a great day. The show was the legends show which sorry we did not attend. I started to feel a little queasy which was a surprise as I never get sea sick so I was under the influence of Bonine and therefore very tired.

Back to Galveston---We put our suitcases out the night before. Enjoyed our last breakfast that someone else cooked...stayed in our cabin until they forced us to leave. We went down to deck 3 which was the deck that we got off the ship on...got in line and off we went. My suggestion here is grab a porter---find your luggage, and they get you off the ship faster through customs was a breeze and on the road to home by 10 a.m.!!!

If you have any questions...I have all the FUN TIMES so let me know..... Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Panorama 1026

Our cabin was 1026. GREAT location to the lido deck and to everything else. Loved our towel animals every night, hardly ever saw our room attendant but everything was spotless. She brought us extra pillows when asked..we would pick this location again.