Veendam Cruise Review by Crocodile Dundee: South America minus Port Stanley

South America minus Port Stanley

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Santiago (Valparaiso)

We boarded the Veendam late due to the previous cruise running behind and also as the Veendam had been infected with a shipboard virus. This resulted in several hours delay, but obviously this was beyond HAL's control. The entire ship had to be decontaminated prior to boarding, but this at least meant that the ship was possibly healthier than any other cruise! All self-service of food was banned and we were asked to minimise personal contacts during the cruise. The crew served us our food using plastic clad hands and the food counters were glad-wrapped to prevent us from contaminating the food. There were various other health related precautions, but we took this in our stride as it was for our own protection.

The cruise itself was as per previous cruises with HAL and we were happy with most aspects. The ban on self-service meant that we had to rely upon the crew giving us reasonable portions, and sometimes this was not the case as they served somewhat smaller meals than More perhaps I may have served myself. However, one can always go back for more, or ask for more - so this wasn't a huge problem. they did tend to run out of peppermint tea, but that's a comparatively minor issue.

I had read on Cruise Critic how the recent refurbishment had resulted in an uglier ship, and I do have to wonder about people who made those comments. One only sees the ship when on dry land, and the external aesthetics are irrelevant anyway - it's the comfort and amenity that counts!

As the cruise was around South America there were many Spanish speakers on board, and HAL ignored this for the first couple of days and made announcements only in English - this was changed after a number of complaints, after which more announcements were made in Spanish as well as English.

My main complaint lies not with the crew or HAL, but with the countrymen of a certain western nation whose members tend to feel that they are God's chosen ones. Despite having a background of slavery this omnipresent group seem not to have realised that slavery is no longer in vogue, and they often treated the crew like slaves. I would have been greatly pleased if this group could re-discover the words "please" and "thank you" instead of barking their requests for food without any pretense at politeness or respect. The crews are hard working people trying to support families from whom they are separated for long periods of time. We should all show them more respect and appreciation.

The cruise itself was very enjoyable although some of the ports are less than exciting. We missed Port Stanley due to poor weather, but this was compensated for by excellent weather around the horn, and this was far more important. Many people miss the horn due to inclement weather, so we were very lucky. The high point was the Chilean Fiords which are simply amazing. We have cruised both Alaska and the Norwegian Fiords, and this was like the two merged together - only longer and more extensive. The up-close view of glaciers was impressive and the views spectacular.

I would recommend this cruise to anyone, with the proviso that they add on a couple of days to visit Iguazu once they reach Buenos Aires. Iguazu was simply the most magnificent sight I have ever seen, and deserves a couple of days seeing that you are in the general area. If you miss out on a decent visit to this wonderland, then you will miss a most amazing place, and one of the most awesome locations on Earth! Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam

Buenos Aires is BIG ... in fact it goes on forever. I would hate to find my way around it, so we were glad to have arranged a private tour. There are some interesting places to see, but without a driver and guide you may well waste a lot of time just figuring it out by yourself (and you might get robbed doing it!)

Hire a tour guide and see the cemetary where Eva Peron is buried and go for a ride to see whatever local sights they recommend. You'll enjoy the day, and far more so than if you try doing it yourself.

We arranged a private tour with GV tours who have a great reputation and one which was well deserved. It is a family business and we were escorted by the daughter of the couple who run the business. She spoke excellent English and was very easy on the eye as well (if you happen to be a male chauvinist pig like me).

They gave us a great day and I would recommend going with them with one main change to the itinerary if possible. One stop is the green lagoon - and this could easily be missed as it's rather underwhelming. Far better to spend more time at the Petrohue falls and rapids which are excellent. It was a shame our visit to the falls was so brief, and I would have swapped the lagoon for the falls anytime. The trip included lunch and it is a nice way to see the Puerto Montt countryside as there is little to see within the town itself. After the day trip you will have time to see the town of Puerto Mont but don't expect it to be the stuff dreams are made of.

We chose a Penguin tour run by HAL which was fine - we've seen penguins before often enough, but there were far more than we had seen before, and they were quite happy to see us (if you could count ignoring us altogether to be a sign of happiness). There is a bit of a hike, but not too bad although it is very cold. I would recommend taking the morning visit rather than the afternoon one because others on the ship told us that many of the penguins had gone fishing by the afternoon, and there were far fewer to look at.

When we returned we made the mistake of walking into town. That made for a very loooonnnng and tiring (and basically pointless) walk, with nothing of interest on the way and not a whole lot when we got there. If you go into the town take a taxi both ways! Again, it's not the stuff that dreams are made of, so take a tour outside the town and see some penguins.

Santiago is not exactly one of the more exciting cities. We were only there a day or so, and although we climbed the nearby hills and visited the zoo it was more to pass the time of day than anything else. The earthquake struck soon after we left, so we were fortunate - but I would not recommend Santiago as a place to visit except in transit.

I hate to sound negative, but the ports on this cruise are not wildly exciting - just a pleasant way to pass the time - it's more about the scenery from the ship in the fiords than in the ports. Ushuaia has a perhaps more interesting township, but a day trip into the country is needed to fill your time. We took a HAL tour, which tried to make the best of a basically OK sort of place. It's a nice drive, nice scenery, we had a nice time - but not the sort of place that you will wax lyrical about afterwards.

Read 99 Ushuaia Reviews