Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by nyedward: Very nice ship with mediocre entertainment and TINY rooms

Carnival Freedom 2
Member Since 2010

Overall Member Rating

Very nice ship with mediocre entertainment and TINY rooms

Sail Date: February 2010

First things first, DO NOT give Carnival your credit card # to be tied to your "Sail & Sign" / room card. They hit you with all kinds of unexpected charges. It seems they keep trying various charges hoping you'll miss it and let it go. I was trusting enough to do that and ended up paying few visits to the service desk. Even then, we ended up with unexpected Gratuity charges of $180, which they supposedly always charge. Fact is, prepaid gratuity is an option I did not choose during my booking process. I'm still waiting for a refund, which Carnival denied multiple times at this point.

Second, rooms on this vessle are tiny. Having cruised on some of the smaller Royal Carrebean ships I was very surprised at the size of our top class of Balcony room. Unless you buy a suite, don't expect to fit anymore than two people into a stateroom comfortably. And even with two people, it's tough to get around. They do keep the rooms clean though, kudos to housekeeping!

Third, the More entertainment team downright sucks. I could not understand a word of English spoken by the Cruise director - Philipe throughout the week. I won't even mention the rest of the Italian/Spanish team. Soda and Alcohol are extremely expensive, but not unlike any other cruise I've been on. I would rate food quality as 2 out of 5. Not a day went by without upset stomach in my case. Any type of meat was just horrible to taste. Stick to Fish and seafood.

Best thing about this cruise was "Camp Carnival". We had two kids with us and they took care of both for many hours each day. Kids area is full of toys and activities, supervised by a very friendly staff. Huge thanks for that. Less

Published 03/05/10

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: 8C Balcony

Tiny room was barely enough for two people, so the four of us kept bumping into each other. Small balcony, tiny bathroom, but good closets. Rooms are clean and smell and insects free though.

Read All Balcony (8C) Reviews >>

Nice area, great shopping, friendly atmosphere. Beach is too far from the pier, which is the only negative.

It rained all day so we didn't make it past the pier. It is a nice looking area from the 8th deck though.

Read 1123 Key West Reviews

Beach is nearby but that's about it. Weather was horrible so we couldn't get far. But Jamaica is notorious for its crime and overall unfriendly sorroundings. Don't go onshore here unless you're looking for some real adventure.

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2010
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X