Carnival Victory Cruise Review by berries957: Valentin's Day Cruise out of San Juan!!

berries957
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Valentin's Day Cruise out of San Juan!!

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We set sail 10pm Eastern time on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan, Puerto Rico on Valentine's Day February 14, 2010. We had a wonderful time. We are a party of 19. Ages ranging from 1 years old - late 50's I would say.

Flew in to San Juan. Spent 2 days before hand. Gathered all the family up and met everyone at the port on the 14th.

My boyfriend and I stayed in a balcony stateroom. Beautiful views. A little more roomier than an inside cabin. Perfect for 2 or 3 people. 4 is pushing it. I think it's a little tight for the luggage and clothing with 4 people.

The ship's decor is definitely dated. The food was good. The dining room food I thought was excellent overall. If you didn't like something, our waitress Amy would bring it back and bring us something she recommended or we did like. Sushi bar is awesome on Deck 5. Only open from 5-8pm I believe. Lido buffet we only used for Breakfast. We liked to eat fast and utilize all our time on the islands. More Normal breakfast foods. They had french toast every other day and pancakes every other day. They did have an omelette station. Lines would get long from 9am until about 10am I would say. We ate usually between 7:45 and 8:30am every day. We were up and about early.

Dining Room: Ate there only for dinner Lido Buffet: Ate there only for breakfast and snacks when we came back on board from the island. Sandwich shop: Ate there coming back from an Island for a late lunch/snack Sushi Bar: Ate there one night for dinner sat down at the 3 couches present.

The only thing I couldn't stand on this cruise was the availability to smoke at the casino and outside by the lido buffet deck. I am a non smoker nor can I stand when anyone smokes near me. Kill your own lungs NOT mine and my family's lungs. Some mornings we would have liked to eat at the lido buffet but outside by the pool and we could never. The smokers would be eating breakfast and enjoying the view, fresh air, and their cancer sticks.

Service was wonderful. Be polite and patient. There are thousands of people of this ship. What do u expect? Expect to wait on lines at the buffet. Dining is a process if you order more than one entree like we were doing in my party. We had 19 people. 3 tables side by side and to eat dinner usually took 2hrs start to finish.

Entertainment was good. The comedian was excellent. Percy Cruise the 2nd was his name. Pretty hysterical. The marriage game was a little lame. Much funnier on Royal Caribbean. Bingo is over priced as usual. $20 I think bought you 3 cards. The casino is hoppin at night which was a lot of fun. Some of the slot machines were paying out pretty well. Table games going good too.

Hot tubs full with kids. Cammon guys... that did annoy me. As an adult we like to relax sometimes without kids jumping in and out of the hot tubs. The pools are small little rectangles. We were at a port everyday or that would have annoyed me since they were over crowded most of the time and I saw only 2 of them.

Ice cream machines. There are 2 of them. 1 was out of service the whole time. The 2nd one by the pool was usually always out of sugar cones because the massive amount of ice cream the kids would go through every day. It was kinda annoying going for ice cream 4 times to find that you never got a cone. You look forward to the cone.

Karl with a K was the cruise director. A little cheesy but not as interactive as the cruise directors on Royal Caribbean. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Verandah 8348

Decent size closet. Great balcony. 8348. 8th deck. Great ship location. 1 floor from lido deck and all pools. 2 decks from the walking track.

I set up another tour with this guy Edwin Lovell from Scenic Barbados tours. Nice guy. He set us up for lunch at his friends restaurant. Flying fish sandwiches. A local tour of the island. We went to this old church and a bunch of photo opportunities. Then he set us up for a snorkel on a glass bottom boat. The snorkeling was awesome once we got on the boat. We had to get on off the beach and the waves were wicked. You had to go about 4 feet deep and then climb up this old white crappy pool ladder onto this small glass bottom boat. My uncle almost got killed when the driver took off fast to avoid getting tumbled in the waves and beached but the captain never checked to see if other people were still getting on the boat! If you go with Edwin make sure u let him know you want a great Captain on a glass bottom boat. Everything is personalized. Whatever tours you want to do he will hook you up. If you want to just wing it... when you get off the ship you have to walk through these shops and then a car park area. Walk through it and there are literally about 50 taxi cab drivers in a circle like vultures begging for your business. You can work something out cheap. Good luck

Read 704 Barbados Reviews

The reason it's a 5+ is because of Simon. The island itself if about a 4. a lot of poverty and very 3rd world. Simon is a tour guide local guy I set my whole group up with. He is awesome. Gave us a very good tour of the island, trafalga falls, sulfur springs, local fruit tasting... everything you could possibly want. Very personalized. His web site is brand new

www.simonjoseph.ws/ tell him Jamie sent you. He will hook you up. You won't regret it.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St Kitts is amazing. I want to go back and get married here. We hung out at Frigate Bay. Beautiful white sand. Locals come around and give fresh aloe massages. I got a 45 minute massage for $20. Unbelievable. Where can you find that??? Water is warm and peaceful and relaxing. Perfect relaxation environment. Didn't see many tourists there and the locals left you alone.

We did Land and Sea to Soufiere through carnival. I think it was $89 each person. Food included. 1 drink is before the catamaran too. This tour is a little of everything. Tour around the island on air conditioned bus with a tour guide. You stop at a bunch of stops and then off to a catamaran where they give you lunch and rum punch and soda. They take you to this beach where you can snorkel. You have to rent the equipment if you don't have your own. The locals are waiting for you in canoes off the beach. They swim out right away before you are even docked with the ropes and start trying to sell you things right off the side of the catamaran. You will be amazed about how fast they are all over you. We didn't buy anything and we said no thanks and they left us alone. We went snorkeling. Saw a baby lobster, 2 fluke, and beautiful tropical fish. A lot of people stay on the catamaran during this time. You are on this beach for about 30-40minutes. Then off back to the ship.

Shoppers haven. Beautiful diamonds. About 100 jewelry shops. You get off the ship and have to take a 3 minute ferry ride across to see everything worth going there for. $6 round trip ride... unlimited for the day with that price. The ferry guys ask for a tip if you want to give one. If you want to shop for diamonds this is the place to buy them. They have absolutely stunning blue and yellow diamonds. So many stores to choose from. Choose wisely.

This day was overcast. We bought some blue diamonds and some conch fritters from this restaurant right in front of the ferry. If it's sunny out... you should go to this beach right in front of the ferry docking area. really close. I saw signs $15 gets you 2 beach chairs an umbrella and a bucket of 4 beers. Can't go wrong. Too bad it was overcast for us.

We went to Coki Beach. The taxi drivers outside the port are vultures. They don't like to come to a deal with pricing. We had 19 people and they wanted $9 per person each way. Fat chance. We found a cab driver that gave it to us for $6per person each way.

Rent snorkel off the beach from the locals. The reef is right off the beach.

For a relaxing white sand calm beach with no waves go to Meghan's Bay.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews