Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by wishIcouldcruiseforever: Give me Carnival Liberty or give me nothing

wishIcouldcruiseforever
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Give me Carnival Liberty or give me nothing

Sail Date: February 2010

We had the best time of our lives on Carnival Liberty ,so much so that we put a down payment on our next cruise which will hopefully be a 2 week back to back western/eastern caribbean cruise next year on Liberty. We flew to Miami the day before and stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express Miami airport ,quite reasonably priced with an IHOP next door for supper and a free breakfast the next morning . There was also a complimentary shuttle from the airport although it took us a while to find it . The next day we caught another shuttle $10.00 each to the pier ,pre booked upon check in at the hotel. We left for the pier at 1100 AM and got there at 1145 due to traffic .

Check in was smooth and easy and we were on the ship by 1230 ( nice and early) ,got a drink and food although our cabin wasn't ready until 1:30 so we had to keep our coats etc with us for a while .At 1:30 we went to our balcony cabin on the Lido deck to dump our stuff and I must say we were thrilled at the size More of our cabin and the balcony .It was amply spacious with a good size bathroom and closet space .We then headed back to the Lido deck area for the sail away party and what a good time we had . We only got to the dining room once as we were on late dining and it was not convenient ,but it was an enjoyable experience . The rest of the time we got our food on the Lido buffet which was at times quite crowded . The hot dogs and fresh cooked burgers were delish as well as the pizza. The buffet was called Taste of Nations and if you were not an aficionado of that days offerings ,you were stuck with other offerings . We spent a lot of time on the Lido deck in the Tivoli area ,which at times was crowded and noisy and they could turn down the volume on the sound system a bit as it could be too loud .On the other hand the Lido pool was the hub of the fun and fun it was ,providing great music and entertainment .When it became too much I just retreated to our private balcony for peace and quiet . The main shows in Venetian palace were great and we didn't miss one . We had a comedian on board ,2 jugglers called the village idiots and a hypnotist for Toronto Canada and all were hysterical . We found the PG hypnotist show as funny as the R rated one .One of our stops on Grand Cayman was in doubt due to the large waves by Georgetown ,but our skilled Captain took the ship to the other side of the island and because he could not anchor,kept the ship at station keeping all day with the thrusters. One thing I did not care for was the lineups ,but most people took it in stride and being from a area with low population and few lineups ,I think it was just my issue.

Disembarkation was a bit late due to our late arrival as we had a medical emergency for which we had to backtrack to enable a coast guard chopper to evacuate the individual( who was in both our prayers).We were of the ship on time and sadly off to the airport by 1100. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Verandah

Ample space ,good size bathroom and ample closet and drawer space .Small but serviceable balcony . Only problem with the balcony was that one chair was a recliner type and sat very close to the rail .We were on the Lido deck far forward and it meant a long walk to the stern of the ship and food but it was nice and quiet .I would probably get a cabin more amidships next time .

We signed up for 2 shore tours in Cozumel . The first one we did was the beach buggy /snorkel at Punta Sur . Despite some problems with the vehicle which were promptly taken care of ,it was a fun experience made more so by Carla and Memo . They were charming ,knowledgeable and helpful. The lunch provided at the seaside was delightful and the historical information was fascinating .The second shore tour we signed on for was the Fury catamaran sunset sail .It started out cloudy and overcast then proceeded to pour like I have never seen it pour . We huddled down under the top ,still getting somewhat wet and having the best time of our lives ( maybe thanks to the open bar)and Bill and Linda . When the rain stopped we had music and dancing on the top deck and some of the crew joined in . The crazy college girls really made the party . I would definitely do that tour again if only in the hope the sun would be shining.After that we did some power shopping at Del Sol and Diamonds international . I really liked Puerto Maya for it's convenience as there was no time between shore tours to get into Puerto Miguel for shopping however next visit we intend to taxi into Puerto Miguel to shop . I loved Cozumel!!!

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

Grand Cayman did not start out auspiciously as there were huge waves on the Georgetown side . Our wonderful Captain took the ship around to the other side of the island and kept the ship on station with thrusters so we could still tender ashore . It was bit of a zoo since 2 other ships were there also,but the Carnival staff and the tour operators kept the chaos manageable . Our semi submersible tour was cancelled ,but our stingray sandbar/turtle farm/hell tour was on . We first went out to the sandbar and was it rough,we got soaked with spray all the way out . I did not get off the boat as I did not feel it was safe but others seemed to have fun in the water . We had done this on a previous cruise so it was fun to just watch .My only concern was the double decker boat and the captain redistributing the weight so we wouldn't tip over . The turtle farm was wonderful as well as the stop at hell. Next trip to Grand Cayman will include a historical tour and some shopping.

I would not get off here again unless it is on a shore tour to the Jamaican bobsled at Mystic mountain .We signed up for Dunn's river falls and the bobsled shoe tour . We did not like Dunn's river falls as it felt unsafe to us ,but you are supposed to hold hands on the way up the falls and the girl in our group wouldn't do so . My daughter and I were on our own climbing the falls and I thank God for the old guide who kept coming back to help us .He got a great big tip from me .I also did not like that they exit you through a craft fair and the Jamaicans are all over you to buy things even detaining my daughter until I barked at them we were late getting to our bus. We then went on the chair lift to the top of Mystic Mountain and loved the magnificent view but the piece de resistance was the bob sled ride . I had my trepidation but the bob sled was the most fun of all . You ride the bobsled down and it hauls you back to the top to take the chairlift back down.When we go on the cruise again I would only leave the ship to go to Mystic mountain .At the top of the mountain they had Jamaican dancers and drummers to entertain the line ups waiting to descend on the chairlift. The other thing that disturbed me was that although we were on an escorted shore tour ,we lost our group and were not sure where our guide was . We managed to catch the last bus from the mountain back to the ship. Not well organized there I think.