Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by myrna goldsmith

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by myrna goldsmith
Norwegian Sky
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii

My husband and I were on the Pride of Aloha from Aug. 15-22, 2004. This was the first time we sailed with NCL. We have taken many cruises in the past with other lines, and were hoping for as great an experience as we have had in the past. However, upon boarding the ship, we noticed several problems. Our cabin door, a balcony on Fjord deck, would not lock unless force was applied. Also, the closet had only space for 4 drawers, however, only 3 were present. We immediately notified the desk about the door and drawer situation, and were told a carpenter would fix it.

NEVER HAPPENED!!! Because of insufficient storage space for a week's worth of clothes, my clothes were on my nightstand all week. We returned to our cabin to find the door unlocked because of the problem with it (probably left that way by the cabin steward, because we know we locked it). Our cabin was never serviced until after 2 PM daily. Wet towels were placed back on the rack, after we put them on the floor to get new ones. The bed was not turned down at night until Tuesday (cruise started Sunday).

Freestyle Dining is a BIG DISASTER!!! The restaurants were jammed and reservations were only accepted for parties of 8 or more, not for only 2 people. My husband is diabetic, and he takes his insulin shot right before going to dinner, so we couldn't wait in the horrific line. After 3 nights, I complained, and the Asst. Hotel Manager told me that, under the circumstances, she would make reservations for us every night at 8:30. AGAIN, NEVER HAPPENED!!!!

Since we ate most of our meals in the Buffet, I noticed many issues there also. One morning, we waited 20 minutes for scrambled eggs to come out. They never did. The coffee mugs were filthy. They still had sugar wrappers stuck inside them. The coffee, iced tea, juice stations were either without cups, ice, or the beverage. On several occasions they ran out of napkins and/or trays. Also if the food was emptied, it was not refilled. The lines were closed earlier than the scheduled time. The entrance to the kitchen was always soaking wet. Pool towels were placed on the floor, with a caution sign.

We had received a gift of ship-board credit from our children. The rep. at the desk told me I had only 1/3 of the amount. After confirming the amount again with my children, I went back to the desk and was told, "Oh yeah, we found the rest of your credit."

The Shore Excursion Desk rep. was very rude, and when my husband told him he wasn't being very helpful, he "changed his tune".

NCL admitted problems when they told us that they would charge us only half of the gratuities. BIG DEAL!!! Nobody deserved any gratuities at all. They also informed us that they would give us a 20% cruise-only credit towards our next cruise with NCL. THERE WILL NOT BE A NEXT CRUISE WITH NCL!!! I believe we should get a cash refund instead.

I usually submit an Entertainment Coupon for my cruises, which are deducted immediately from my bill. However, NCL does not credit this coupon until after the cruise is over.They claim they will issue a credit on my credit card. So far, they have not done that, even though my billing date has passed.

The management, food, service, etc. need a lot of "fine tuning".

Publication Date: 09/07/04