Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by QueenLatonka: Relaxing Cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Relaxing Cruise

Sail Date: February 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

It is against my nature to be critical but this cruise had way too many screw ups to fluff off for me. Several things were clearly not the fault of the cruise ship but someone should be able to ease the chaos of the boarding process! All of these ports should take a lesson from Seattle. I have cruised from NYC, Charleston, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Port Canaveral, Tampa and now NOLA. TWO scanners for 3000 PAX Really? Get serious New Orleans. I saw 2 people pass out from standing in the ridiculously long lines for over 2 hours. They should have benches to allow the older pax to sit while to rest. OR better yet, board by group numbers, give a specific time to board, and stick to it.

Sail away was very nice. It was cold and windy and apparently 2 out of 10 pax can't seem to tear themselves away from their cell phones long enough to enjoy the scenery. We were able to go straight to our cabin after boarding. The cabin was comfortable had plenty of storage space. All of the dining room More meals were very good. The servers were excellent and very attentive. The casino hosts were great. The games...not so much. I played (and lost) quite a bit and never noticed anyone winning anything big. Usually on a cruise the first nights produce some winners. Not noticeable here. I didn't make any of the shows. We did listen to the jazz band on several occasions and really enjoyed them. They also had karaoke at the casino bar that showcased some awesome passenger talent. I didn't appreciate seeing some women leaving the restrooms without washing their hands! Yuck I always enjoy Carnival cruise and this one was no exception. If you can't find something interesting to do it's your own fault.

The ports are a different matter... Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Verandah 8339

If you are a sound sleeper or if you use ear plugs this is a good cabin. We generally went to bed around midnight and it took me another hour to fall into a fitful sleep because of the continuous scraping of chairs across the lido deck. It started at 6 am an continued until 3 am! There is some mold in the wallpaper an several rust spots in the shower and I found a used syringe in the medicine cabinet. YUCK The cabin is close to the mid ship elevators which is good. They were shut down for muster drill, delivering baggage, disembarkation process and some kind of a drill for the crew.

Cozumel shopping is a lot more tourist friendly. We took a cab into town and stopped at Margaritaville, Senor Frog's and Carlos & Charlies. We took another cab because we booked a day pass at the Nachi Cocom resort. It was absolutely worth every penny. The all inclusive had good food, excellent drinks, a fabulous pool and jacuzzi. I never got out of the water for 4 hours. lol the swim up bar was a hoot too! I wish we could have spent 2 days there.

Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

We stayed 2 nights at Harrahs hotel. The hotel is beautiful. You can walk to Bourbon St. and the French Market from there. The shopping on Canal Street is great and also the RiverWalk. You can't miss having beignets and cafe au lait at the Cafe DU Monde in the French Quarter. Also not to be missed is the raw oysters or the char grilled oysters at Drago's restaurant in the Hilton Hotel. New Orleans is still a very romantic city and the people of NOLA should be recognized for their acheivements and recovery after hurricane Katrina.

If I could have given this port a ZERO, I would have. I wasn't expecting much from this port given all the previous reviews. The double decker bus ride was nice to get a quickie overview. Do not buy anything from the vendors in the flea market area. The "stamped" silver is NOT silver. The hand woven hats are NOT allowed on board and will be confiscated. The sanitary facilities were non existent. The beach was inundated with children selling just about anything, and older women offering massages just about every minute you were there trying to enjoy an overpriced drink. I know they are trying to make a living so please don't flame me for not appreciating being hounded. I broke down and purchased a hammock. The vender gave me one that was tied up and ready to stick in my suitcase. When I got home, opened it up, it was full of holes! Once again, do not buy anything from the street vendors. I should have known that if the price starts off at $65 and ends up at $10 it's a pretty safe bet that it's a piece of garbage. lol IMHO, stay away from Progreso and take the excursion to the ruins or into Merida to go sightseeing.

Read 285 Progreso Reviews