Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Mary Louise

Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Sweet Dreams
Embarkation/Disembarkation: one word sums it up, seamless.

Cabin: I had an inside cabin category 4D on the 6th deck aft. The room was fine. Plenty of storage space. Carnival's robes are the best. They are nice and plush, and were hanging in our closet. There was only one hanger in the closet that has clips on it. I like more of these type of hangers for my skirts. I did request more from the cabin steward. He ended up finding me plastic ones rather than the wooden ones, no big deal, but I did find it odd that there was only one of these types of hangers. Every night there was a towel animal and chocolates on the pillow. Occasionally we did hear music from The Song on the deck below us, but it did not keep us awake. Yes there was a smell of sewage on deck six. I found it more in the middle of the ship while walking on the port side rather than the aft. I did hear a woman complaining at the purser's desk that her room smelled and that nothing was done about it. I do not know where her room was located, but if it was in the middle of deck 6 portside it certainly was possible.

Food: Never had a bad meal in the dining room. We thought about going to the steakhouse but decided against it as the food was great. I loved the Yukon Gold Potato soup. Everything we had was done to perfection. One night I noticed banana splits go by our table. They were on the children's menu. The next night everyone at my table ordered them and our ages ranged from 50 - 92. There were a couple of days that there were long breakfast lines at the buffet. The aft pool had breakfast as well and there was never a line. Lines for lunch were long at the deli and Mongolian grill. Afternoon barbeque was excellent.

Alcohol: We found the prices typical of what you would find at a restaurant here in the states. A martini was $8.95 plus 15%. In the past cruising was known for inexpensive drinks, well that is no longer true. FYI, no more bar snacks. We did bring on two bottles of wine and we were not charged a corking fee. Free drinks could be found at the repeaters party, brunch with mimosas, and at a farewell party at 5:00 PM on Friday. They served stock drinks, but you could order anything you wanted. I asked for cosmos and they served them to me in small cordial glasses, but they never refused me when I asked for more. The captain's party no longer serves free drinks. Of course free champagne during the art auction.

Spa: We had a tour of the spa the first day that we arrived. Very nice facilities. My husband and I were going to sign up for the Rasual treatment. It was $95 per couple, but the room was all booked up. My advice, if you want to do this book early. We did do the $119 deal which was for 50 minutes and you could select 3 items. We both had the hot stone massage, foot and angle massage and I had a facial and hubby had a neck and shoulder massage. No hard sell of product after the massage.

Entertainment: John Heald was the CD. I have sailed with him a few times before. Yes he has the same routine, but I always find him amusing. I especially enjoy watching the reactions of new cruisers. I do not go to many of the shows as it really is not my thing, however I did hear that Fun Force was not to be missed. We went to the Laser show, really nothing spectacular there. We did watch the "This is it" Michael Jackson show. Dancing in the ocean plaza was good. We went to the comedy club both nights for the R rated shows. Jeff the fun dude really was not good. He was the warm up act and was not funny. however we liked Marvin Bell and Tommy Drake. Lewis Nxon was good, but Carl Faulkenberry did not impress us. There was plenty of trivia if you like to play games. I did find there was plenty to do.

Pool: The weather was pretty cool, so this was the first cruise that I went on and never entered the pool. The main pool was very busy and noisy. The aft pool was less busy, but kids were allowed here as well. I did find the pools smaller for the size of ship. There was no adult pool. The serenity area is very nice, but would be better if a pool was there, however there were two hot tubs. The hot tubs on the 5th deck were nice as well.

Ports: Nassau, it was cool that day so we just walked around. Went to Megan's Bay in St. Thomas. Beautiful beach, but very crowded. Chairs were $7.00 with an additional $5.00 refundable fee. We usually go over to St. John's but we arrived around 10:00 AM so we decided to stay in St. Thomas. Next time I will go to a less crowded beach. In St. Martin, we took the water taxi over to the beach. $12.00 for two chairs and two drinks, and a floating mattress.

Publication Date: 02/27/10