Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by psgreenf

Member Name: psgreenf
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Barcelona
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

A place far far away ...
Overall, hard to beat a cruise that hits 4 countries, 6 ports and includes X-mas and New Years! .. Traveled to Spain, Italy, Egypt, Turky and Greece. Going in, I was very excited about visiting Egypt but it was somewhat of a disappointment in the end. Best part of the trip was Pompey & the Almafi coast. Next best was Izmir Turkey .. Ephasus. I've been on several cruise lines but enjoy the Free Style cruising and selection of restaurants. I think we at out almost every night at one of the 7 or 8 choices which were for the most part very good. The main dining room was mediocore at best. We had a balcony room which is really the only way to go ... sunsets - sunrises and listening to the sounds of the ocean as we sail along. I fully expected going in that the excursions would be as much if not more than the on-ship costs. We went somewhere at every port of call and spend a couple days in Barcelona .. 1 coming in and another leaving .. very nice city. Again, Pompey & Almafi were plain fascinating and Cairo was just dirty. So foggy in Alexandria, lost > 1/2 day waiting and riding the bus. Every stop in Egypt was a sales pitch from the vendors .. even on board the bus. Pyramids were incredible but wouldn't go back .. sooooo many vendors.

In the end, I was very annoyed w/ NCL at the various money grubbing hurdles they put me through on the ship. My biggest gripe was the phone service charges I acumulated when getting back. This alone and how they reacted will probably keep from visiting thier line for a longgg time to come. ATT is my domestic service and I took out all the overseas calling plan options I could get. I was warned before hand about data roaming and even had this turned off once I arrived in Eourpe.... Turns out my international roaming service was as advertised for all LAND based services ... but when on board NCL ships, the rules don't count. Most ATT reps weren't even aware when I got home. They aren't a Eourpean country so they can charge whatever they want and did .. a $1000+ later. I think the other part that bothered me was how the charged for services, a % of every expense regardless of service quality. I started out tipping everyone depending on what they did for us. Checked my bill about 1/2 way thru and caught on to thier system (my fault for not reading close enuf). I even bought a wine package at suprised in the end to see that there was a fee charged regardless of where and how we consumed our beverages .. room or restaruant. By the way if you go, stock up with beverages after entering the Barcelona customs before getting on the ship .. they don't check!

Ocean balcony was quite nice .. have to say, one of the highlights of the trip with given the variety of stops. Stayed in our room > 1/2 time on the ship. Was a double bed .. 2 singles put togther but more comfortable than expected. Had a couch, desk table and chair. Bathroom had a nice size shower and the toilet area had a slide door. TV was fairly small but didn't really use it much .. read, sat on balcony all hours of night and day.

By the way, ship was dressed out in Hawaiian decor .. was transplated and not renovated. Didn't really bother me but just seemed out of place.

Publication Date: 02/24/10