“INCREDIBLE SHIP, horrible fellow cruisers”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas

Mrsdlf Oasis of the Seas 4 INCREDIBLE SHIP, horrible fellow cruisers
Mrsdlf
Member Since 2002
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Stepping on the ship after cruising on the Liberty and Freedom the last 2 years, I must say RCCL really out did themselves! What a gorgeous ship, they left no stone unturned. Well, that was until I entered my $12,500 Grand Suite! The cabin was as small as the Jr. Suites we had in past cruises but little did I know that would be the least of my worries. This cabin was carefully placed under the "Sports Deck". From the moment we entered our cabin, we heard constant running and jumping overhead. I was woken several times throughout the cruise. It was so bad, I called Guest Services to complain and ask why security or attendants have not stopped whoever was running. 3 days into the cruise, about 1:40 am and I heard running, I ran to the door, flew it open and ran into the hallway in my PJ's only to find an empty hallway. It was then I realized it was coming from the deck above!

The food was definitely not the same as past RCCL ships. I feel they did away with a lot of amenities due to the quantity of people. I think quality overrides quantity any day but apparently, RCCL does not. Aside from being unhappy about the cabin size, the constant overhead noise and the food not being what we have received in the past (no omelet station at breakfast), we were now informed the "special seating" for Suite holders at each show "was not necessary for this show". I was told that at EVERY show we attended and we attended every show possible. I was forced to stand for the ice show even though I arrived early, as requested for "Suite seating". I was a bit disappointed about that since we expected to have reserved seating.

Entertainment..........AMAZING!! Thank you RCCL. That really made our cruise that much better. We kept busy all week long. Casino........another story. Machines and tables were not hitting. We played a lot and still never hit anything significant to keep us playing.

We were also joined by what RCCL announced on our cruise "1,600 Brazilians and 1,200 Asians". Rudest group of travelers I have ever seen in my life. When the elevator stopped, they came rushing in, never giving anyone a chance to get off the elevator. I missed my floor because they absolutely refused to be courteous to their fellow cruiser.

There are many positive aspects of this ship. One being many restaurants to choose from. Most charge and after what I paid for this cruise, I refused to pay another dime to eat! I wish I had as the dining room food was nothing to write home about.

The shops are creative and enjoyable. The Boardwalk and Central Park are perfect. The Zip Line is a waste of time standing in line all that time, but I guess if u want to say u Zip Lined on The Oasis, then it's worth the wait! They had 2 Flo Riders and I don't recall the Freedom class having 2, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest you take the plunge and go on the Oasis but be aware the cabins are not the size you are used to on RCCL ships.

Just a note, I mentioned my dislikes to several RCCL employees and nothing was done. I would hope the next RCCL cruise (Allure, Feb 2011) is different because if it is not, I will not cruise with them again.

Oasis of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Grand Suite with Balcony

GS14660
Grand Suite was size of Jr. Suites on other RCCL ships. Was disappointed that a Grand Suite would be placed under the Sports Deck. Lots of jumping and running overhead. Definitely need to be reconsidered next time you build a ship.

Port
Horrible, horrible, place to stop. Should have taken a land taxi to The Atlantis. Those straw market sellers make u nuts. Never again will I get off the ship at that location. Plan ahead if u stop there. U will be glad u did!

Would loved to have stopped at Labadee, Haiti but I guess it was too out of the way for this ship.

Read 4,116 Nassau Reviews
Love St. Maarten for shopping (Blue Diamonds) and the Beach. Rented wave runners this trip and that was a blast. They even allowed our 15 year old to drive one with an adult on the back of it. How exciting that was for him! Must do that again real soon!

Itinerary lists this port stop longer than actual stop. It was not worth stopping here unless u had a plan. We had to be back by 3:30 pm. Lines to get back on the ship were over an hour long and they are very unorganized doing it. I suggested they set up more security stations as it is too hot to be out there in line for an hour!

Read 3,322 St. Maarten Reviews
Port
Gorgeous. Easy shopping just outside the ship. Emerald Beach is just as beautiful as Megan's Bay, well not exactly, but it worked for us!

Read 3,412 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 02/24/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Oasis of the Seas Review
Oasis of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?