Carnival Pride Cruise Review by aloiii: Pride was Cold!

aloiii

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Hi,

Been on quite a few cruises from 4 different lines, think this was my 4th Carnival cruise, first on Pride. We chose Pride because of port of embarkation was close enough to home to be able to afford airfare for 5.

It wasn't the greatest cruise I've been on and a lot of that had to do with the weather, i expected it to be cold the first day or so but we hit high winds from Monday right through to Thursday and it was fairly cold as well right into the Bahamas. Very few ever got on deck to lounge in the sun unless you were in the solarium section which was pretty much booked up with people/kids at 9:00, which was fine. weather wise, the trip was not a good one for me, we're a lounge around on deck soaking up the sun kind of people and we just didn't have that until the very last day of the cruise. ALL other days were too windy and cold to sit out and relax in the sun. Even the folks in the Bahamas were wearing coats.

the ship, the ship was fine, didn't More care for the Renaissance theme of the ship but not a big deal. the activities that we engaged in were what i expected and were fine, not as good as our last cruise on RCCL shows but still OK.

the food on the Lido for breakfast really did suck. the same thing every day not that great tasting, breakfast meats seemed undercooked, toast was un-toasted, it really was just a lame breakfast experience each day. one morning we had breakfast in the dining room and that was no better. the employees, to me, seemed pretty miserable and again, to me, most seemed put out if you asked them just about anything. i more observed that than experienced it. you see the looks on their faces and responses given.

dining room food was pretty good but the service was really lacking and that i can say was our wait staff, our guys were just slow as could be. I'd watch tables next to us with different waiters and they'd all have the apps at the same time, all get meals at the same time..etc. we'd get one appetizer for one person and the 4 others would wait minutes for them to come. your meal would come but if you didn't remember to ask right then and there for sour cream or gravy or whatever it was you waited a long time to get it. my son isn't much of a meat eater so when he does he drowns it in sauce, each night we ate in the dining room he had to wait many minutes after asking for 'more sauce' until it came, his meal was always cold. I can't say it was too many tables as the waiters around us had just as many just our two guys were really slacking or maybe so new they were the bottom of the food line..i don't know. we only ate 3 times using our waiters due to this. we ate in Davids twice, which you pay extra for but well worth it. and the other times we ate at Lido and the lame poor there. so, all in all, the Lido food sucked most of the time, too many different lines for different things, the attitudes of the servers was poor and the taste of the food was just not that great, of all my cruises this ship had the worst food and service yet.

Dining room, food was really good, service was really slow, too slow.

bars were fine and servers were good.

rooms (had two) were fine, no problems, wasn't the best steward we've ever had but he was OK.

Lastly, the elevators were supreme! you often wait and wait and wait for an elevator to arrive and then it slowly rambles up and down. not the case here, these elevators fly and there are plenty of them. very good feature which i'm sure many past cruisers understand what I'm talking about. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride

we selected the lowest rate which put us on deck 1, first time that low on a ship and I thought it was great, most public areas were only floor or two above and we very quickly accessed them.

ship was hours late arriving due to heavy winds, (that we hit for the next 4 days) had to wait in long line for hours due to this. other than that embarkation was fine.

again, it was cool, not as breezy as the other days so that helped, started off sunny but turned mostly cloudy later on. took a snorkel trip which was really good, just about the best snorkeling I've done and I've done a lot. the most clear water I've been in, Bermuda was right up there and Maui was too. all other islands to me were far behind in quality of marine life and clarity of the water. water was a bit chilly and after an hour i was ready to come out and go back.

Read 781 Freeport Reviews

it is hard to be fair with rating as the weather played a huge part in the overall enjoyment of the excursions. we did a beach excursion which was windy and cool. Had we known about the weather prior to booking we would not have taken this excursion, would have just gone on something else.

Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

just went golfing and it was fairly cold and very windy, would have been awesome if the weather was better. Did NOT take the cruise golf excursion as it was way out of line at $140 per. I got a taxi for $70 round trip (flat rate) $29 for golf including cart, $25 for rental clubs and lots of $$ for buying more balls!