Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by prefer the sea: A Taste of the Caribbean

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A Taste of the Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2010

Once again we enjoyed our cruise; and, it came at a great time as weather back home was dreadfully cold. This trip, my husband and I were joined by his mother and aunt. It was my mother-in-law's second cruise with us and the aunt's very first.

Now--on the the cruise. We reached the port at 11:30 and found the terminal easy to access even though we had to join a line snaking it's way toward the door. But, check-in went smooth and soon we were enjoying lunch on the Lido deck.

My husband and I have been on several cruises and this was the first where the cabin steward just didn't live up to our past experiences. Two or three days we returned to the cabin to freshen up for lunch only to find our room had not been touched! And, he was no where in sight.

However, the highlight of dinner was our server, Tatjana Bobrova. Her service was exceptional. She recommend delicious dishes each night and gave a brief overview of the evenings activities on board. A number More of times she stressed that we would not want to miss the shows in the showroom; and, how right she was.

The shows as usual were spectacular. (We did miss one because we were simply too tired from the day.) We also skipped on the passenger talent show. (Shudder.) Note: There's a reason entertainers get paid.

One great addition to Carnival is the new Serenity Spa area for adults only. It's located at the front of the ship away from the pool, slides, loud music, and noise. Yes, some of the sound makes it's way forward but it is so much quieter. Oh, and the hot tubs are right there nestled snugly close to padded lounge chairs. And, the arbor is a nice touch allowing enjoyment of the sun without the danger of overexposure when you doze off while enjoying the tropical breeze... Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Verandah 8315

The cabins located on deck 8--specifically--the ones beneath the pool area are nearly perfect during the day. (This cabin was chosen for us by Carnival due to several changes we were forced to make on behalf of Carnival.) However, once the sun goes down and night time activities (deck parties) begin, things change. For example, my husband & I in cabin 8315 and family members in 8320, were awakened one night by what had to have been a table being drug across the deck above us. The sound started at the balcony and continued all the way out our door.

My low rating is due to the unending offers of "Taxi?" and "Tour of the island?" We literally had to say No upwards of thirty times. Yes, as we walked off the pier we were met by one person after another offering taxis and tours. You'd think having said "No" to the last twelve people chances were pretty good that the next answer would be the same. I mean really, do I look like I'm in such bad shape that I will require a taxi to make it the three blocks back to the ship?

If this stop is on another itinerary I travel, I will go ashore. If the experience is the same, of course, I'll let you know.

Read 804 Antigua Reviews

This is probably and unfair rating; but, have you noticed Nassau is to Carnival what Atlanta is to Delta. It seems this is a required stop. Honestly, been there, done that. Not planning on getting off at this port again.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Everyone in our group believes we would have enjoyed this port more if we had not docked at night. I'm sure San Juan is beautiful and would have liked to have seen her bathed in the sun. Also, we were warned to keep an eye on our surroundings and, basically, not go off the beaten path. Needless to say, we stopped long enough to shop for t-shirts and a pendant at a recommend jewelry store before going back to the ship for open seating dinner.

Read 1366 San Juan Reviews

This is a beautiful port. I was enthralled at the scenery as we pulled up to the pier; and, as one member of our group stated, it was as if we had docked in someones backyard. No kidding, by standing in the cabin and looking outside we could view houses built on the side of the mountain. Only by stepping out on the balcony were we able to notice the activity on the pier and the city.

After breakfast, we ventured to the shops for bargains and one member of our family purchased a tanzanite ring and asked me if it was something she could eventually hand down to me. Uh, Yes!

This is a port I'd definitely love to visit again. And, on that trip I'll take the opportunity to see more of the island and see St John also. My dad served in the Marines in the early 60's and spent months on the islands. Now I know why he holds them in such high regard!

Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews

Until We chose this cruise, I did not know this island existed. (My bad. Truly.)

This is, in part, an almost quaint island. And, aside from the relatively long walk into the city I'd have given the stop a five.

My husband and I browsed the market area for cruise passengers before walking into town. Upon arrival, we found a modern-ish shopping area with the usual jewelry shops, then we crossed the street in search of a cruise recommended shop and found the quaintness afforded these islands.

After shopping and leaving the recommended shop we exited out back to a street that lead to other stores. Many of which were horrendously overpriced. I mean, really, why would I pay $30 for a t-shirt when I can get one on the way back to ship of $10, -- $9 each if I buy two?

Overall it was an enjoyable experience.

Read 502 Tortola Reviews