Seabourn Legend Cruise Review by watergal: What are you waiting for??!

watergal
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Seabourn Legend Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

What are you waiting for??!

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

After a very cold, wintry week in Ontario, we flew from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale and enjoyed an overnight at the Hyatt before embarking on the Seabourn Legend. When we arrived at the port, we were puzzled as to the lack of amenities as small as a bottle of water. We were greeted by a very accommodating lady who made us comfortable in the designated lounge but that was it. Even Princess supplies coffee and other little amenities such as soft drinks, cookies, etc., so to be greeted in such a stark manner was puzzling.

When we were finally escorted onboard, it was with a flourish. The staff is so pleasant and so accommodating - which only increased as the days progressed. The staff is apparently given only two days (maybe a little more) to know your name(s) and they do a fine job! I'm not sure they remembered my name but I sure know some of the staff who went over and above their stations - Warren (who is by now a Maitre D'!), Iain, a very pleasant bartender, but my very More favorite was Andrew Cook who escorted me into the dining room every evening and always ensured I was comfortably seated! Josip with the smiling eyes at the morning buffet was so much fun as was Ugo who seemed to be everywhere and always remembered I enjoyed a glass of Pinot Grigio at lunch! Bianca was lovely and so very clever - and when dinner was not as she (and I) had ordered, she was immediate in her response.

The food was very good. I'm reluctant to say it was great but it was very good. I don't think this is reflective of Charlie Palmer's plan however there was much variety and it was done well. We were unaware we could literally go 'off menu' until friends told us they ordered 'baked alaska' and it was no problem as was steak tartare.

Our room, 703, was a 'balcony' cabin. This is really a misnomer as the balcony consists of an area large enough for two people to stand side-by-side - and that's it! No chairs, no passing each other, no activity to grab a forgotten camera/binoculars unless the sliding doors are both open or your partner is willing to step aside or fall overboard!

There was an exercise facility onboard which was just a little crowded but accommodated most. Several passengers would walk the deck early in the morning but as the weather was just simply awful for the first week, then when it cleared - walking around the Sky Bar area seemed more appropriate and fun.

On a ship of this small size, there's not a whole lot to do - but you adjust quickly. There is very early morning coffee(not good stuff) in the lounge just behind the Sky Bar on the upper level - Deck 8 (I think it's called the Sun Lounge). Walk the one/two decks - very small. I think 3 times/around equals one mile. Workout - crowded if the weather is awful, in the 'gym.' When the seas were 25', so very many were confined to their cabins (me included) that it made for a semi-filled dining room and other venues fairly empty.

Our cabin, 703, was so very well looked after by Hanna. However, it is not as well laid-out as some of the Princess suites we've enjoyed as, e.g., in order to use the 'table' against the wall, someone has to roll across the bed to access the other side of the room in order to use the washroom or closet! Hope you are all agile!!!

This is a ship of only 10,000 tons and barely 200+ passengers. Intimate. Lovely. You know almost everyone by face and/or name by the end of two weeks -and that would never happen on those behemoths. I waited until I could have a clear remembrance of our experiences. And vividly what I remember are - names, faces, experiences that are etched forever: University professors from some very well known institutions who enjoyed Canadians - and we had such fun; doctors - some of whom were the regular uptight but trying-to-relax,(and maybe drinking too much) to others who were so very giving and enjoyable. Literally, there were perhaps only two couples on this entire cruise who were 'odd.' They either wore scarves, tinted glasses and/or offended some of their tablemates with their lack of class...again, nouveau riche.

This was also one of the roughest cruises I've endured. 25' seas which even the Captain stated was one of the worst he's experienced in the Caribbean. We missed one port - Puerto Moin - in Costa Rica due to the rough seas, but Seabourn which I discovered is a terrific 'class act', gave every passenger $200 for this inconvenience!

The talent onboard was lovely which included the lounge couple which we very much enjoyed pre/post dinner in addition to the cruise director and his very competent staff. Our ports of call were Belize, Roatan (Honduras), Panama Canal, Puerto Quepos (Costa Rica), Puerto Caldera (Costa Rica)- all of which were fabulous venues!

We met wonderful people. We experienced fabulous destinations - including zip-lining in Honduras. We were incredibly well looked after by Seabourn. And I would not hesitate to book this cruise line in the future!

Regardless the captain of this ship, you will be so very well looked after! The staff is incredible and take customer service to the zenith! We have made many friends on this specific cruise and would not hesitate to repeat the experience should the opportunity to once again arise.

ENJOY!! Less

Read more Seabourn Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Seabourn Legend 703

Very tiny closet; non-existent balcony; well equipped cabin with wine, fruit, water, juices, etc., so very clean!