Star Princess Cruise Review by loulou562

Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: fs
Cabin Number: e732
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Antarctica with three generations.
I am not going to go on about the fabulous scenery and the wonderful food. It was all there. You can read about it in the other reviews. We especially enjoyed afternoon tea. The scones were wonderful.

We traveled with my parents, who are retired, and some of their friends. My son was with us, as well, who is only eight years old. The reason I am specifically pointing this out is that this is not a cruise that has a large amount of children on board. I was very worried that he would get bored. I wish there had been more reviews to put my mind at ease. So, here goes.

The kids club is wonderful. Our cruise only had 50 kids on board, 9 of which spoke english. My son had a blast. He made friends with a couple of other boys early and they kept each other company the entire cruise. The club itself is divided by age group. Little ones 3-5, 5-7, 8-12 and teens. This was great. They had the video games I don't allow at home so my son really thought this was a treat. They did arts and crafts, made little jaunts down to the ice cream stand, watched movies, went to the teen disco center and had tons of games at their disposal. They had my sons favorite, Legos, available too. The people working there were fantastic. One time my son did not listen and they let me know about it when I picked him up. He shaped right up when I told him I would not allow him to go back if he didn't listen. It must have been fun!

The Kids club has specific hours. 9am-12pm, 3pm-5pm, and 7pm-10pm. There is after hours babysitting for a fee. I never used it so cannot comment. Depending on the age of your child you have the option of allowing them to sign themselves in or out. I allowed him to sign himself in, but not out. He loved it so much I never had to worry that he would not go straight there! They have pagers for you to carry, too. If you are planning on having dinner without your children, you will have to book the late seating or wait until 7pm. I didn't know the hours and we had the early seating so my son had to go to the dining room every night. This can be a little tiresome for kids and if you have picky adults at your table. Fortunately my son was a trooper and went with the program. The head waiter, Nello, really took care of him. He even let him help cook the Cherries Jubilee. I think the crew members miss their own children and look forward to the kids to break up the usual group they get on these voyages. We sat in the Portofino one night because we were late getting back from port and had a waiter named Jose from Portugal. He made my son feel like a king. We made sure to have dinner with him again before we left. The buffet is the perfect place to eat with kids and there is the pizza and burger stands, of course. The room service food was not good so I recommend just going out and bringing something back to the room if that's where you would rather feed the kids. There are plenty of pools to choose from, weather permitting.

The really nice thing about a cruise this length is that you don't get the rowdy younger crowd. I took my son on a three day cruise once and could not use the pool area because of all the foul language and coarse behavior. Choose a longer cruise if you are going to take the kids. There is a family movie channel available in the room. But, the Cartoon Network channel was not working. I was happy about that, but my son was not. LOL

E732 is a Full suite on the Emerald deck at the very back of the ship. There were four of us. My parents used the regular bed, my sun had the upper bunk that pulled down from the ceiling and I had the convertible bed. There is a heavy curtain that pulls across to divide the room. Two balcony sliders for access. We loved our room. The bathroom was huge. It was nice that it was divided so the shower/bathtub area could be used independently from the toilet. Very large balcony. Plenty of closet space, drawers, etc. If you are on a warm weather cruise you wont have the amount of clothing we required with all the jackets, etc. Two televisions, dvd player. There is a fridge and wet bar. Fabulous view. For those who are noise sensitive, you can hear some of the events at the Vista lounge. We were never bothered by it. The shows are usually over by 11pm anyways.

Publication Date: 02/23/10