Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Knatz: Love the Freedom Class / Promenade

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Love the Freedom Class / Promenade

Sail Date: February 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was the cruise that almost never happened having been buried in snow here in Richmond Va. It started snowing on Friday morning and ended Saturday nite dropping 12" on top of the previous 14" the weekend before, but our 7am flight on Sunday morning was ontime and arrived in Orlando at 9am. We called Travelynx after getting our baggage and they picked us up in 5 minutes ( we had a reservation). I found them on cc and they were the least expensive at $25 per person. They generally wait to fill the 8 passenger van but took us right away due to the early flight. We had a good conversation with our driver Alan.

Embarkation was swift and friendly and we waited in a seating area til 11:30 when we boarded. While waiting it was apparent this was an older crowd, high number of senior citizens which was confirmed in talking to crew members. They say it has to do with the port. I don't think I'd go out of this port again.

Our inside cabin on deck 6 was quiet and a short walk More down 1 flight to the promenade where we spend much time people watching at the Cafe Promenade & Sorrento's. We generally book an inside cabin since we spend very little time there, we ended each day at 2am in Boleros lounge enjoying the Latin music. Our stateroom attendant O'neil from Jamacia kept our cabin spotless as do all the attendants. The weather during the week was great, better than the cooler weather you get in January, with little humidity. We did experience some rough seas but this ship handles it well. Since I am prone to sea sickness, I prefer these larger ships and it was not an issue and we only choose ships with a promenade deck. The Freedom is large but not crowded and easy to learn and navigate. Alan Brooks, the cd was great as we sailed with him last year on the Indy. The crew was very friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT: The ice show and production shows were very good & professional. The 3 Tenors from Las Vegas was awsome, we went to both shows. They were 2 areial acts by a couple that was outstanding. The comedians were a disappointment. Cruise ship comedians have always brought me to tears, not on this ship. The first one, Phil, was ok. The second one, I think his name was Carl Banks, included drive by shootings in his act which was totally inapproiate not only for people on vacation, but for the young children in the crowd.

FOOD: We ate almost all our meals at the Winjammer where the service is great. One nite we ate at Chops, which had a great filet and worth the extra cost. A note on gratuities at chops, the policy is not very clear. The menu does not mention gratuties, and is rarely mentioned in the Compass. Unsure of the policy, I asked our waiter and he said it was not included in the cover charge. When I added a tip he acted a little weird, I thought maybe I didn't tip large enough. I went down to guest relations and asked about the gratuities and was also told they were not included. The following morning I read in the Compass that they were in fact included in the charge. I called the manager at Chops and explained what happened and felt it was very dishonest. He said there was a misunderstanding. We did not use Johnny Rockets this trip and it always seemed empty.

Pools: We only used the adult only pool which is quiet, except for the constant bar people selling their drinks. On sea days it fills up quick due to the limited lounge chairs. We had an extra sea day since we missed Grand Cayman due to wind. This is a common occurance from what I've read. They did credit our sea pass account $12 per person for the port charge. We also had self serve ice cream at Sprinkles by the main pool, although there are no sprinkles with the ice cream, it was very good.

The fitness center is very nice although we did not use it. You can walk out to the bow of the ship by the helicopter pad which is quiet and a nice view. Kinda feel like you're in the movie " Titanic".

In summary this was a nice cruise on a very clean & friendly ship. I think I'll stick with the Freedom class and do the Liberty on my next cruise. Feed back from crew members and other cruisers feel the larger Oasis is too big. While this review had some critisim, the bottom line is crew members work hard to please us and we come to expect perfection, which is not possible but comes close to on a cruise, thats why we all come back again. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 6371

Our inside cabin was small, but very clean and quiet. When I book a cruise I make sure not to be near any elevators, especially service elevators. We got a good price for the cruise and had a price reduction after final payment which went as a obc.

(5.5)
We took a $15 taxi ride to an all inclusive resort ( forgot the name ) for $50 per person in which we made reservations weeks ahead. It was great! We spent the day lounging under a papala with unlimited drinks. They brought us out lunch which I couldn't finish. The beach was nice and the adjoing pool ( with swim up bar ) was really clean. Its limited to 100 guests so it was peaceful and uncrowded.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

We went to Dunns River and climbed the falls which was the highlight of our trip. We used Phil Layfaette tours and was guided by Phil's daughter Tammy. She was very personable and looked out for us. Our group of 8 arrived at the falls before the cruise ship crowds as promised. It was a blast climbing the falls. The guide did video the climb and offered a dvd of it for $40. They went down to $30 but we declined. Note: When walking back to the parking lot you are directed thru a " maze of high pressure vendors", beware. Following the falls we went tubing down a river which was beautiful. After we paid and got our tubes it became apparent the rest of our group decided not to tube. Since there was no other tours there, my wife and I floated down the 1.5 miles of river with our guide Dwight. It was awkard just the 3 of us and I'd would have preferred a large group. Halfway down the river a guy jumps out of the woods with a camera and takes our picture. Our guide walks us thru the woods to person with a computer and printer and sells us a picture for $5. Very strange, felt like I was in the movie "Deliverance". At the end of the trip we were picked up by Tammy and returned to the ship. She did offer to stop and eat at a local food place but we decided it was not a good idea for health reasons. We enjoyed the tour but didn't like being hassled by the vendors.