Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by readytofloataway: Wonderful first cruise experience!

readytofloataway
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful first cruise experience!

Sail Date: January 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

Embarkation out of New Orleans was quick and painless. We arrived about Noon and were on the ship and eating at Raffles by 1:00. Our rooms were ready at 2:00 and our bags were sitting at our door when we got there. The room was very nice, and always kept very clean by our room steward. Plenty of room to unpack all of our things, but wish I would have brought some hangers with me, as there weren't quite enough for all of our dressier clothes. The bed wasn't the best. It was two twin mattresses on a queen size frame, and as I am a middle of the bed snuggler, I tended to wake up numerous times in the crack, because the mattresses kept separating. The TV was quite small also, but the view of the ocean off of our balcony quite made up for it.

The food on the ship was quite good. We mostly ate at Raffles, but went to the Windows one night, and The Gardens one night and had quick and excellent service and great food. The Shrimp and Swordfish was amazing. Only complaint about the More food... The dessert. Yuck. Everything I tried tasted odd. Like it had been rehydrated or something. The ice cream machine became my friend :) For breakfast, the cream cheese sticky buns were on my plate every day!

For entertainment we saw the Duo Acrobatique.. I enjoyed it, my boyfriend was bored :) We also saw the Second City show, it was ok. Just not our kind of comedy. We liked the silly shows in the Galaxy of the Stars better, they involved the crowds alot more. The weather on our 2 sea days were not the greatest so we didn't get much laying by the pool time, but the port visits were great.

I'll write my port reviews below, but I wanted to write about the stop in Guatemala since it is not included in the list of ports. We booked the NCL excursion to the Amatique Bay Resort, which included the day at the beach and lunch. IT WAS AMAZING. This was my favorite port of all. The shopping center at the port was so authentic and original. I got some great deals, for things that were not at the other ports, like a gorgeous jade necklace, with a silver Bird of Guatemala on the back of it. The resort was so gorgeous. I highly recommend if you are cruising with children to come here. They had a water slide, and pirate ship in the pool. All the accessories in the place were made to look like trees, including the swim up bar and the fresh water showers. The people were great, the pool was the best I've ever seen, the beach was ok too.. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Ten 9070

Strap the mattresses together and put in a flat screen TV

This is the port I was most looking forward too, and the most disappointing. We had to be in Champagne Charlies by 8 to get tender tickets as our excursion was not an NCL excursion. We were actually there at 7:30, but when the guy passing out the tickets arrived, he stood on the other side of the room, bum rush to get in line, and we ended up on Group 2. We missed our 10:00 excursion to the Snorkeling, Bannister Island, Manatee watch with Coral Breezes as a result. It was almost 11 before we made it to shore, due to rough seas and a tendering process that leaves much to be desired. Instead we found an excursion at the port through Fantastic excursions, went snorkeling off some tiny island with a bar/restaurant on it. The seas were too rough there, and we saw nothing. By the time we got back to the port we were exhausted, shopped a little and went back to the boat...

We went on an idependent tour to the Chaccoben Mayan Ruins with The Native Choice. It was a very good excursion. We had the best luck to have a Cougar run across the road in front of our van on the trip there!! It was the coolest thing I have ever seen in the wild! We also saw 3 spider monkeys in the trees while at the ruins The ruins were ruins, and the guide was very knowledgeable. Glad I went, but we are both pretty sure ruins just aren't our thing..

I really enjoyed my experience in Cozumel. We got off the ship right at 8, walked around a little, grabbed a cab and went to Chankanaab park. For $30 a person, we got entrance to the park ($19), snorkeling gear for the day, and got to see a little show put on by the Sea Lions, Dolphins and 2 Manatees. At 10am for the sea lion show it was only us and one other German couple. So I got called on stage when the Sea Lion was looking for a girlfriend! And got a kiss and a hug from him! Very worth my money! The snorkeling here was great. I am a beginner in snorkeling, so the pro's might think its boring, but I loved it! We stayed at the park until about 2 then caught a cab, went back to the ship to shower and change and then went out shopping for awhile. Got some good deals, stopped at Margarittaville for a souvenier, and then headed back to the ship about 4 just as it started to rain!

Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

We had a blast in New Orleans both before and after our cruise. It was the beginning of Mardi Gras parades the Saturday before and we got back on Super Bowl Sunday. We had never been there before, and let me tell you, it was the most fun I have ever had. I won't go into details, because what happens in new Orleans, stays in New Orleans!