Carnival Victory Cruise Review by shamrockarse: Fun for the whole family

shamrockarse
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Fun for the whole family

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My DH and I, our two children, ages 23 and 24 and my father and his girlfriend were all traveling together for this cruise. While my DH and I have cruised before, it was the first time for most everyone else.

We left the snow of Ohio and had we not had a four wheel drive truck, we would not have made it to the airport at all. Our flight was slightly delayed because of ground trouble. Apparently, the tow bar was stuck to the plane! Our flight was delayed 1.45 hours and we missed our connecting flight. We were able to catch another connecting flight and arrived in San Juan within a reasonable time frame. Thank God we had cancelled our excursion to the bio bay thru East winds. While I was really looking forward to the tour, their cancellation policy left no room for error and we would definitely have lost our money on that one with the flight delay.

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel which we booked thru Price-line ($105). This hotel was very beautiful with More marble and service everywhere. I only wish we had time to use the wonderful pool area. Our party got a recommendation for Mi Costa located across the street from the hotel for authentic Puerto Rico food. The service was slow, but they were very busy. Although I wasn't crazy about the food, it was plentiful and I think it was my personal taste as others seemed to love it. The price was very reasonable.

We retired as we had shoveled a lot of snow to get to the airport and everyone was tired. We ate at Burger King across the street from the hotel for breakfast and took a taxi to the cruise port.

The lines were just starting to form and it didn't take us long to board the ship. We found the ship easy to navigate once you learn that floors 3 & 4 do NOT go all the way thru as they put the Atlantic dining room smack in the middle. This made it difficult sometimes with the electric wheelchair since our rooms were close to the Aft elevators. You would have to go up to the 5th floor, fight your way past the photo area to the front elevators and then go down to the 4th floor to get to the dining room.

We watched the Superbowl sitting poolside with a bucket of beer and I have to say, this is the way to Superbowl! While we noticed many Puerto Ricans on the ship, we never encountered rudeness. Only language barriers occasionally.

Service was wonderful in both the stateroom and the dining. We did anytime dining and was usually eating at about 5:45. The food was comparible to other cruises and no one ever went hungry. Loved the ice cream as it tasted like homemade ice cream.

My biggest complaint was the entertainment and pool schedules. It seemed pools were closed often for cleaning instead of waiting until night. The movie screen times were noon (when we were in port) 6:00 pm (when we were at dinner) or midnight (late for such a port intense cruise). Golf was closed at 8:00 pm and during the day, it was too hot to play. The slide was only open a couple of hours a day and so never seemed to get used. The shows in the theater seemed often to be at odd times also. The adult show didn't start until midnight which again,was late if you got up early for the ports. I like the Princess theater schedule better with one show at 8:30 pm and one at 10:30 pm so early diners and late diners can see the shows.

The one comedian, Percy Cruz II was great. The juggler was also good. The magician was only good when interacting with audience members. The rest of his show was lame. The other comedian wasn't as good.

The embark and disembark was as good as could be expected. The airport was crowded and loud, but we made it thru with patience. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Riviera 1409

We get the cheapest cabins since we only sleep, shower and change in them. You could hear the engines from our location, but I can sleep thru anything, so that didn't matter. The shower wasn't bad sized. The safe is in an awkward place as is the closets...making them difficult to get to. I liked all the clothes hanging pegs however.

This was my favorite day. We did the Tiami Sail,Turtle & Beach thru Carnival ($69.95). The crew were great and wanted to make sure everyone had a wonderful time. We snorkeled with the turtles and then the rum began to flow. We visited a private beach in front of the resort where Tiger Woods was married. They even took pitchers of rum punch to those on the beach and in the water! The kids had the best time and even my father, who stayed on the catamaran, had a great time. He tried to snorkel for the first time, but didn't feel comfortable and so got back in the boat. I can't imagine doing anything else on this stop as we had such a good time.

Read 704 Barbados Reviews

We did the Champagne Reef snorkel thru Carnival. My father and his girlfriend decided to stay on the ship and rest. I enjoyed this trip although it is difficult to hear the guide in the water without getting kicked with fins a few times. The bubbles were really neat and can't really be described.

There was an obnoxious man on this cruise who said he was filming for the travel channel. I think he was using that story to make himself important because I can't believe the Travel Channel would let someone with that personality represent them. I felt he was out of line in how he talked to my 23 year old daughter and my DH was ready to kick his butt.

The staff on the boat were all professional and made you feel safe. I would highly recommend this tour.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St. Kitt would almost tie Barbados as my favorite. We did the zipline with Sky Safari, booking thru the Tour Store ($79). The pickup was prompt and the staff at Sky Safari were wonderful. My 72 year old father wanted to zipline so I had done a lot of research to find the best place to zipline. This zipline has very little walking and all the safety features on their equipment. you sit in the harness and the braking is done for you with no jerking. We loved it! I could hear my father giggling thru the jungle, even after I couldn't see him anymore. My husband lost his balance and fell while just standing on the ground (trying to look thru the camera and backed up) and the staff was very attentive to his scrapes with medical care and constantly asking if he was okay. He was more embarrassed then anything and I noticed they kept a close eye on him afterwards to see that he didn't trip again. This zipline is on an old sugar cane plantation and they gave us a quick tour before beginning the zipline. I liked that they had a practice zipline to make you feel comfortable before beginning the higher, faster ones. I think the highest point was 450 feet and 1/4 mile long. The kids liked the last zipline where you get to race someone, side-by-side. Great day!

We did Cosol Tours ($65). With my father being a farmer, I thought this would be his favorite tour, but it turned out to be our least favorite. The staff was great, the day was just too long and we all got tired of the winding mountain roads.....up, down, up, down, up, down.

The banana's were delicious at the plantation. The fishing villages were really just a drive by and the breakfast foods were not tasty. That is not to say that others wouldn't enjoy them, but I have particular tastebuds and am pretty picky. While they did offer rum punch at a few stops, it wasn't non-stop like the Barbados trip and since there were so much time between each stop, you only wanted water to quinch your thirst.

The volcano should be advertised as a drive up, not drive thru volcano. The kids got in the water at the falls, but we only had a few minutes at this location. The driver wasn't happy about their clothes being wet, but they do advertise swimming at the falls. We did get to swim at a little beach at the Pitons after a water taxi delivered us. Everyone was a little unclear as to the pickup, but we made it back safely. By the time we got back on the bus and got the fresh bread and cheese, I was motion sick from the bus ride and couldn't eat. My daughter was also. The bread and cheese was good though. I don't think I'd do this tour again, but since we had never been to the island before, we did get an overview.

This port was cancelled due to rough waters. We had booked thru Bernards and we are sorry to have missed him as he gets such good reviews. Maybe next time.

We did the Sunny Liston tour ($25@). His wife picked up up about 45 minutes late and because a woman complained about the shopping time being cut, they extended the shopping and cut some from the rest. I was okay with the cut and felt they should have taken a vote. I guess the more verbal ones win. Our tour guide was great and we enjoyed the singing and his crazy laugh. It was infectious. While they list Blackbeard's castle as a site to see, you only see it from a distance. I did think the statement about free rum was misleading. You pay for the frozen drink and then they let you put the rum in it. That is not what I call free. Overall, however, the tour was good and I'd highly recommend it. We got to shop, see the island and swim at Sapphire Beach.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews