Carnival Victory Cruise Review by shamrockarse

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Victory Cruise Review by shamrockarse
Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: shamrockarse
Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 4A

Fun for the whole family
My DH and I, our two children, ages 23 and 24 and my father and his girlfriend were all traveling together for this cruise. While my DH and I have cruised before, it was the first time for most everyone else.

We left the snow of Ohio and had we not had a four wheel drive truck, we would not have made it to the airport at all. Our flight was slightly delayed because of ground trouble. Apparently, the tow bar was stuck to the plane! Our flight was delayed 1.45 hours and we missed our connecting flight. We were able to catch another connecting flight and arrived in San Juan within a reasonable time frame. Thank God we had cancelled our excursion to the bio bay thru East winds. While I was really looking forward to the tour, their cancellation policy left no room for error and we would definitely have lost our money on that one with the flight delay.

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel which we booked thru Price-line ($105). This hotel was very beautiful with marble and service everywhere. I only wish we had time to use the wonderful pool area. Our party got a recommendation for Mi Costa located across the street from the hotel for authentic Puerto Rico food. The service was slow, but they were very busy. Although I wasn't crazy about the food, it was plentiful and I think it was my personal taste as others seemed to love it. The price was very reasonable.

We retired as we had shoveled a lot of snow to get to the airport and everyone was tired. We ate at Burger King across the street from the hotel for breakfast and took a taxi to the cruise port.

The lines were just starting to form and it didn't take us long to board the ship. We found the ship easy to navigate once you learn that floors 3 & 4 do NOT go all the way thru as they put the Atlantic dining room smack in the middle. This made it difficult sometimes with the electric wheelchair since our rooms were close to the Aft elevators. You would have to go up to the 5th floor, fight your way past the photo area to the front elevators and then go down to the 4th floor to get to the dining room.

We watched the Superbowl sitting poolside with a bucket of beer and I have to say, this is the way to Superbowl! While we noticed many Puerto Ricans on the ship, we never encountered rudeness. Only language barriers occasionally.

Service was wonderful in both the stateroom and the dining. We did anytime dining and was usually eating at about 5:45. The food was comparible to other cruises and no one ever went hungry. Loved the ice cream as it tasted like homemade ice cream.

My biggest complaint was the entertainment and pool schedules. It seemed pools were closed often for cleaning instead of waiting until night. The movie screen times were noon (when we were in port) 6:00 pm (when we were at dinner) or midnight (late for such a port intense cruise). Golf was closed at 8:00 pm and during the day, it was too hot to play. The slide was only open a couple of hours a day and so never seemed to get used. The shows in the theater seemed often to be at odd times also. The adult show didn't start until midnight which again,was late if you got up early for the ports. I like the Princess theater schedule better with one show at 8:30 pm and one at 10:30 pm so early diners and late diners can see the shows.

The one comedian, Percy Cruz II was great. The juggler was also good. The magician was only good when interacting with audience members. The rest of his show was lame. The other comedian wasn't as good.

The embark and disembark was as good as could be expected. The airport was crowded and loud, but we made it thru with patience.

Publication Date: 02/18/10