Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Bollinger_Babe: She's still the Queen of the seas

Bollinger_Babe
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Asia Cruises

She's still the Queen of the seas

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Dubai

There were actually eight ports of call, not six as shown (drop-down list only goes up to six).

We had sailed on the QM2 before, on her Maiden Voyage in 2004, so we were looking forward to returning to the Queen of the Seas. This is our 24th cruise in total, and sixth with Cunard.

Embarkation at Dubai was pretty straightforward and we were shown to our stateroom on Deck 8 where our luggage arrived pretty much immediately.

I was pleased to see that the ship was still her immaculate, beautifully decorated self. Our stateroom was spacious and well appointed; we had a balcony although our view was partially obscured by the lifeboats outside.

We ate in the Britannia restaurant and the food and service were nothing short of excellent. A couple of evenings I did miss going up to dinner; not through any fault of the service or the cuisine but because I didn't want to put on any more weight than necessary! For breakfast and lunch we usually just ate in More the King's Court buffet, although there were times when I chose the room service breakfast and ate in on our balcony in the balmy, tropical heat. One thing about the room service is that the breakfast was delivered bang on time each morning at the time requested.

The entertainment was of a very high standard, with a selection of guest entertainers such as comedians, pianists, opera singers, magicians, dancers and musicians. The only act we were not keen on was a guy who billed himself as a "comedy magician" - I think "children's party entertainer" would have been more appropriate.

We also enjoyed the daytime lectures given by guest speakers, who were also of a very high standard. The ship's library is one of the best at sea and I was able to get through a couple of books during the sea days.

Our ports of call were: Cochin (India), Phuket (Thailand), Penang (Malaysia), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Singapore, Bangkok (Thailand), Phu My (Viet Nam) and Hong Kong. We stayed in port overnight in Hong Kong then disembarked for a night in a hotel before our long flight home.

If I have to complain about anything, it is the absolutely extortionate prices on board the QM2. We have done five previous Cunard cruises, and indeed we are already booked on the new Queen Elizabeth, but we've never really thought that the prices were exorbitant until now. I'm sure they put them up because this was the World Cruise. My advice to anyone is DON'T buy the so-called bargain or sale-price items they try to tout to you, because you will find the items much, much cheaper back home or over the internet. Drinks prices were also way over the top. I will be comparing the QE prices later on, as I'm sure they are not normally this high.

All in all though, we had a brilliant time on the ship and visited some very interesting ports of call. Long may the QM2 reign! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>