“Pleasant 1st Time Spirit Cruise”
Cruise review of Norwegian Spirit

travelgal17 Norwegian Spirit 4 Pleasant 1st Time Spirit Cruise
travelgal17
Member Since 2010
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
As a first time cruiser, I had average expectations going into this experience. However, upon arrival into the port of New Orleans for boarding, I was quickly impressed by the efficiency of the NCL embarkation process. We arrived at the port at 11:45 am on Sunday, February 7th and were on board exploring the ship by 12:45 pm. We enjoyed a lesuirely lunch at the buffet Raffles, and were in our stateroom by 2:00 pm.

Our inside stateroom was located on Deck 5 and was pleasantly larger than I expected. We had an excellent room steward named Richard who went above and beyond in servicing us. Our luggage was outside of our room by 3:00 pm, and we were unpacked and ready for the mandatory safety drill by 4:00 pm. At 5:30 pm, we dined at Windows as the Spirt pulled away from New Orleans.

The NCL Spirit has a lovely Asian inspired theme throughout the ship which was very charming. The formal night (or not) occurred on our first sea day, Monday evening, and it was enjoyable. We took some great pictures that we ended up purchasing from the photo gallery the next day.

We enjoyed dining at Windows and Raffles during our 7 day stay; we went to the Garden Room once, but were not impressed by the slow service received. The Blue Lagoon was good for a snack 24 hours a day and room service is very good. We didn't try any of the speciality restaurants on this trip, as the food in the main dining rooms was good enough.

The evening entertainment was average. My favorite acts were the acrobats and Second City. The magician was not very good, and we skipped some of the broadway sing-a-longs. The finale show, Elements, on Saturday night was truly spectacular and something not to be missed.

Overall, I had a very pleasant first time experience on this ship and would recommend it to others.

We visited the Mayan Ruins in Santo Thomas, Guatamala through an organized NCL excursion. I highly recommend booking an excursion at this port in order to gain a better sense of the culture. Due to the political instability, it is not recommended for tourists to explore this area alone. The international shopping that was available in the secure port area next to the ship offered incredible deals.

Norwegian Spirit Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Inside

This was my favorite port; we did not book an organized excursion, but took the time to walk through the city and shop at the international port. This port also offered amazing shopping deals, and I would return to Belize City independent of a cruise in the future.

Read 2,064 Belize City Reviews
Port
We spent half of the day shopping and relaxing in the international port area that featured a small beach area and large pool. In my opinion, this was the most costly port in terms of purchasing from the various merchangs, and unless an excursion was booked, there wasn't much to do after a few hours. We headed back to the ship for the remainder of the day, as the weather was a humid 86 degrees in early February.

Read 1,411 Costa Maya Reviews
Port
We did the glass bottom fishing and snorkeling excursion that we booked from a local at a fraction of the cost of NCL. We truly enjoyed this experience. We also have fun shopping and eating at an authentic Mexican restaurant in this area.

Read 4,596 Cozumel Reviews
Published 02/17/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Spirit Review
Norwegian Spirit Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?