MSC Poesia Cruise Review by californiacruisingnana: MSC Poesia - The Best of Both Worlds!!

californiacruisingnana
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Western Caribbean Cruises

MSC Poesia - The Best of Both Worlds!!

Sail Date: February 2010

Family and I (three teenagers + my husband and I) cruised on MSC Poesia on Feb. 6 to the Western Caribbean. I'd read some of the reviews beforehand and so, was wondering a little what it would be like. It was great!! The ship was beautiful and very clean. My family and I loved the food also. We ate in the dining room every night, and the food and the service was great. Our waiter, Chris, was fantastic! I've been on other cruises before, but they couldn't touch the quality of the food here! My son is a very picky and not at all adventurous eater, but he was always able to find something that he liked in the dining room every night (and that's saying a lot for him!) WE also ate in the buffet and had room service. Both were very good (not as good as the dining room.) We had some problems finding a table for 5 in the buffet, but no problem with the food. I wish they had a program that let you pay ahead by the day for bottled waters, sodas, etc. That was my only complaint about the food. More

The public areas were beautiful. We could always find recliners on deck to relax in and the pools and spas were not crowded. My teenagers loved the disco and the dancing every night. They did more of that than my husband and I. They loved being able to meet people from all over the world. That was one of the things we all loved about the Poesia - it was so international. I didn't mind the announcements in several languages; they were short and it was just what I would appreciate if I were cruising in a foreign country. The staff was great. I could hardly believe they did such a great job of communicating in so many languages so well. It was a tour de force!

The entertainment was great. My husband and I saw the show every night, it was that good! It was much better than the lame comedians I'd seen on other cruises. We loved the singers, particularly the female - she was unbelievable!!

The ports were good and we had a good time in all of them. We docked in Cozumel instead of tendering in Playa del Carmen, but that was because of rough seas - the cruise line couldn't do anything about that. Embarkation in Fort Lauderdale was quick and smooth.

There were some problems with disembarkation, but that was caused by the weather (winds messed up the gangway and they couldn't get it fixed, so people had to disembark directly onto the dock.) Weather also caused problems with our flight back home at the airport, and i wish the airlines would have been so considerate and helpful. We had some rough seas coming back to Fort Lauderdale from the Bahamas, but the ship handled it really well.

Overall, we really enjoyed our trip and being on the Poesia made it even more special. I heard some people complaining, but they were the kind who think Mickey D's is haute cuisine and don't want to hear any language but English. If you're that kind, stay away from the Poesia. But if you love truly good food, great service and entertainment, and a cosmopolitan, international atmosphere, you will love MSC and the Poesia!! Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia

Closets and drawer space were very good, bathroom was large enough and had lots of space to store things. The beds were comfortable. Only one chair so eating with room service was a little hard. Interactive TV was nice to book excursions, but other offerings were limited. We were fairly close to an elevator, but the room was quiet. Occasionally, we heard neighbors (slamming doors), but overall it was quiet.

We decided to do some shopping in Grand Cayman instead of an excursion. It was very enjoyable. The tender boat got us to shore quickly and the town by the dock was beautiful and clean. The people there were helpful and not too aggressive. There was an abundance of stores for our shopping - we spent entirely too much, but really enjoyed doing it. Later, we went to the beach and returned to the ship. A very enjoyable day!

We enjoyed Key West a lot. Wish we could have had a little more time there though, but we had to leave port early in the afternoon to cruise all the way to Cozumel the next day. The trolley ride into town was great and like a mini-tour. We went to Mel Fisher's Museum to see the stuff from the Atocha (very interesting) and the Audubon House (beautiful) and then went shopping. Wish we could have made it to the Hemingway House. We all want to go back there. There is a lot to see and do!

Read 734 Key West Reviews

The kids and I were adventurous in Montego Bay and went on the zip-line jungle canopy tour here. My husband was feeling a little under the weather and bowed out. It was incredible. Definitely one of those I have to check this off my bucket-list type of things. The tour guide and staff were exceptional. They were clear, professional, and concerned about our safety and giving us the best possible experience. I can't describe the experience and can hardly believe I did it, but I would do it again in a minute and recommend it to anyone. We didn't bring our cameras because we were afraid of losing them, but they have lockers to rent to store your things and a small camera to put in your pocket would have been safe. They take pictures of you for sale - they're overpriced, of course, but a great memento and proof you really did fly through the jungle! After we finished, our tour guide offered to take us to eat, then on a sightseeing tour for shopping, and finally to Margaritaville for an additional $10 per person. That was a great deal because you don't want to go around in Jamaica with just anyone, even in a taxi. He took us to the Pork Pit to eat (that was the place I'd read about online and really wanted to go there.) The jerk chicken and pork was outstanding and very cheap - I highly recommend it!! Then he took us shopping (souvenir type stuff.) The store had good quality items and the prices were better than at the other stores. We ended up at Margaritaville (I just wish we had known more and brought our bathing suits.) The kids and I ended up doing some more shopping and just sightseeing. It was in a resort area, so we were safe. Our guide ended up taking us, tired and happy, back to the ship in plenty of time to get ready for dinner.

(5.5)
Here, we went snorkeling at Athol Island. The water was a little rough for me (that storm was getting ready to come in), but the kids had a great time. There were so many fish on the reef and they came really close - we had fish food! The guides were helpful, but I felt they could have spent more time showing people how to get the equipment on and then how to use it in the water. If you were an experienced snorkeler, it would be fine, but I didn't think there was enough help for any first-timers. They gave us a harbor tour on the way back, which was a lot of fun. We went back to the ship, showered off the salt, ate lunch, and then went back to town on a walking tour. We were able to walk all over the downtown area and up into the hills (Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle), and then back down into town with no problem. Pick up a map when you get into town and it's easy to find your way around. People were very helpful and Nassau has so many beautiful, interesting things to see. When we finally got back to the ship, we were tired but happy!

Read 2627 Nassau Reviews

We ended up docking in Cozumel instead of Playa del Carmen because of rough seas, but we still went to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins on a ship excursion. They got us going quickly - the ferry boat and bus were good and our tour guide was great. He was very helpful and informative. They even gave us snacks and fruit juice to drink on the trip. We loved the ruins. They were truly something to see for a family of history buffs like us. We would have liked a little more time at the beach there, but that was limited because we had docked at Cozumel, and it took more time to get to and from Tulum. I would recommend this excursion to anyone who appreciates historical sites and/or tremendous scenic beauty. We loved it!