Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Senseiken: Could have been worse but not as good as expected

Senseiken
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Could have been worse but not as good as expected

Sail Date: February 2010

Let me first say that the overall cruise experience on the Dawn was good. With that said, there were several things that would deter me from cruising on NCL again.

First, arriving at the port, the porter was, how do I say this, not very nice. He picked up one large suitcase and a small one a total of maybe 3 feet and was very rude when I gave him a dollar a bag tip. He had a 10 in one hand and was implying that I give him $10. When I handed him the $2 he asked me twice, "What's this?" Perturbed me right off the bat.

The food was no better than average. The pastries tasted like they were bought in bulk from a membership warehouse like SAM's. Some of the advertising I read prior to selecting NCL to cruise with led me to believe that lobster was on the menu every night. Well, I found out it was, but only in the restuarants where you had to pay extra. Since we dined at different times and different dining rooms we never had the same waiter/waitress which led to a less More personal experience and what seemed like ambivalence on their part. One afternoon I stopped a bar waiter and ordered a beer. He told me if I ordered a bucket, it would be cheaper. I told him I already knew that and that I only wanted one. He stood there and tried to pressure me into buying a bucket until after the 4th time I had to get direct to the point with him. Very annoying. This happened more than once.

The shore excursions were satisfactory. I've been in Georgetown, GC when there were no ships in port. There were 5 when we were there. Way too many people for such a small town.

Overall, I guess I'd give the entire experience a 2.5 out of 5 when compared to the other cruise lines I've cruised with. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

The only thing I did was scuba dive which was very good. Everything was as advertised. Good Diving.

Read 3092 Cozumel Reviews

I love Grand Cayman but not with 5 ships in port at the same time. Just way to crowded.