Carnival Pride Cruise Review by CruiserBecky: Great Getaway

Great Getaway

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We had a great time on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. A snow storm the day before leaving had us a little nervous, but the roads were clear and the parking lot was plowed. The port was easy to find--right off 95, and our boat was there waiting for us.

I was impressed with the service, everyone was nice and helpful. I thought the food was great! We had every breakfast and lunch in the grill, and every dinner at the 6pm seating at the Normandie Restaurant.

My biggest disappointment of the cruise was that my younger son refused to stay at Camp Carnival. It had nothing to do with Carnival. They had so many fun things for the kids to do, and they were very nice, but my 3 year-old just wouldn't stay without us even though his 5 year-old brother was there too. He did stay for a couple hours on two different days, but we had him with us for most of the time, so no real couple time. We were glad we had a booth at dinner to ourselves since we had the kids with us every More night. We had planned on going Snorkeling without the kids in Freeport, and were very happy to find that we were able to exchange our snorkeling tickets for a beach day without penalty (over 24 hours prior to excursion), so the kids could come with us.

Overall, it was a great get-away from Winter. Port Canaveral was pretty chilly with us wearing jeans and sweaters, but we were able to sit comfortably on the beach in Nassau and Freeport even though the water was too cold for the adults to comfortable swim, but the kids enjoyed playing in the sand.

We were unlucky in our debarkation in that we could not do self-debarkation since we had a lot of luggage and two young kids. If we had been able to, we would have been first off the boat, but our zone for regular debarkation was one of the last, but that made getting out of the parking lot and back on 95 very easy.

Just a couple more things--definitely bring cash for parking, the line is much shorter than credit, and the seas can be pretty rough in winter. None of us got sick, but a lot of people were sick Friday into Saturday because of rough seas. They had to change course and slow the boat down for safety, so we arrived in Baltimore later than scheduled. Bring your dramamine if you get sick! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Oceanview Riviera

Our cabin 1192, an oceanview with a sofa bed and one bunk, was very nice. It was just right for our family of 4. We did not want a balcony for safety. Our bed (king configuration) was comfortable. The sofa bed was noticeably less comfortable. It was fine for our 5 year-old son, he liked it, but I wouldn't have wanted to sleep on it--hard. We did not use the bunk. We brought a travel tent-bed for our 3 year-old. There was enough room to set it up in front of the sofa bed and squeeze by.

We had a good time here also, but we went on a beach excursion booked through the cruise. There wasn't really anything right where the boat docks, a few people selling things, but it was an industrial area with oil tanks and junk yards. You needed to take a good ride to get anywhere nice.

Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Nassau was very confusing. We did have a good time on our excursion booked through the cruise line, but I wouldn't have wanted to go out on my own. Lots of people waving things in your face, saying "Taxi" and such.

Read 2624 Nassau Reviews

We did have a good time because we went to Kennedy Space Center, but I don't think there was much to do if you didn't do one of the excursions.