Pride of America Cruise Review by debi1rn: Freestyle Synonymous with Mediocre?

debi1rn
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Pride of America Hawaii Cruises

Freestyle Synonymous with Mediocre?

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

I will not bore you with the details because nothing was absolutely tragic. I will say that overall the quality of the food, services, entertainment, and ambiance was very mediocre. We have cruised with Royal, Disney, and Carnival, and expected more from NCL. It was like staying in the Hampton brand of the Hilton Hotels at the Hilton price and expectation.

Everything was clean and our needs were met, but it was clear that they cut corners. The food, which we all know half the fun of the cruise is the food, was like college dorm food;menus repeated, flavorless dishes, low quality, and the worst deserts ever! I ate more salad on this cruise than I do at home. The entertainment was very "B" rated; no fancy sets or costumes, and there was a clear lack of sharpness to the performances.

It was not clear that in order to see the sites you really needed to either go on an excursion or rent a car. You could not just get off at the ports and walk around to see things for the More most part. You could shop at the discount or souvenir stores, but unless you knew how to get around, you were stuck. We did take a couple of excursions. The islands were great, but the tour guides spent more time talking about poverty and asking for a hand out than guiding us.

Which brings me to my last point, every time you turned around someone was asking for additional money. Everything is extra and they do not make that clear before you go. We knew drinks, some restaurants, and excursions would be extra, but even on board events had fees. We made the best of it, but I would never recommend this cruise or NCL. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

(4)
We did the adventure excursion and hiked to the volcano crater. The hike was fantastic, but the guide was borderline rude and uninterested. Regardless of the guide I would do it again though. It was a once in a lifetime, and probably the highlight of the cruise.

Read 271 Hilo Reviews

Honolulu is like New York City with a beautiful beach. There is some great history there, but it's crowded and the people that live there are annoyed by tourists.

Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

This island was beautiful and looked like the paradise you expect. Again, I wish that the cruise staff gave better information about what to do on shore if you did not want to shop or excursion. We found some great areas all without enough time to enjoy.

Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(1)
The seas were dangerously choppy and we could not tender to the shore. It looked good from the ship though...

Read 166 Kona Reviews

(2)
We wished we had rented a car. We were under the impression we could get around on the shuttles or on foot and were very disappointed. What we did see was unexciting. I will add that we had the most fantastic Hawaiian Shaved Ice at the shopping plaza.

Read 265 Maui Reviews