Celebrity Century Cruise Review by PirateShark: Rain Rain, go away!

PirateShark
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

Rain Rain, go away!

Sail Date: February 2010

Started our 5 day cruise with a downpour - literally! The local reports stated that about 7 inches of rain fell within 24 hours in the area - Yikes! That meant no outside sail away which in fact (besides having to leave at the end) was the only downer on this entire cruise. This is our first cruise with Celebrity and second overall.

CABIN: Lovely Sunset View on Deck 12. A little cramped inside but the veranda was expansive (get one of the two in the middle of the deck). Alexander our attendant was seen once but kept our room spic and span and had ice morning and evening for us. Overall a 4 star rating for cabin and attendant.

SHIP OVERALL: Very lovely Art Deco motif. Very well maintained and for the age and the date of the last major refit (2006 I believe?), looked very fresh. Public areas were well done, spacious with no noticeable congested areas. Loved the Martini Bar and Michael's Club PLUS there is a real Champagne Bar located in a little nook of the Crystal More Room. Main dining room was lovely. Murano was sublime. The Lido buffet was a little confusing if you got there between service times but still a nice spacious room. Actual food critique is separate. DINING: Buffet and Pool Grill - tasty and hot. Inspiring? No but that was not my expectation. Room service was had one day and we just got a light breakfast before our excursion at Grand Cayman. Main dining room was...average. Not bad but nothing to write up a entire review. Variety was fine as I and DH could always find something that tasted fresh and was hot which is what I DID expect. Waiter, Asst Waiter, Sommelier - all wonderful and personable. Also, a good choice to have the late fixed dining due to the long days in the two ports. Because of the average quality of the above, I'd give this just a shade higher than a 3 - say a 3+ but not quite a 4.

Now, the Murano. In a word: Superb. Service, wine knowledge, quality and presentation were all top notch and well worth the extra admission charge. And yes, the goat cheese souffle was divine. This was above my expectation. I'd rate this as a solid 5 as a stand alone. Overall dining is a 4.

NIGHTLIFE/COCKTAILS: The Martini Bar aka "The Boom-Boom Room" was our favorite spot for pre-dinner libations. I think I need one of these in my hometown. Michael's Club was a great spot for an after dinner nightcap. Attilio the piano man was very good and the atmosphere was a great way to finish a fine day. Unfortunately, as we are not show people, we did not see any shows on the ship but our table mates reported may fine performances by the comedians. Musicians at various venues around ship were also enjoyable. Franklin rocks! Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Sunset Veranda Stateroom Sports Deck (12)

Little storage with exception of closet. Bathroom size was a joke - I've seen individual non-handicapped toilet stalls with more room. Pretty narrow but OK. Balcony was fabulous. Can hear the Sunset Bar below but was not intrusive - great when the entertainment was playing as you could sit on your balcony with your drinks and enjoy in peace. Good Privacy.

Early excursion to the Beach Club where we booked the chair/lunch/welcome drink package. It is an early morning excursion (9:30 to 12:30) which means you avoid the heat and humidity. Rented snorkeling equipment and had a wonderful morning just relaxing on that beautiful white sand. Lunch was a BBQ buffet with hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken with salads.

The rest of the day brought down the overall rating for the port. First, the HAL Westerdam, RCL Liberty of the Seas, Costa Fortuna and a CCL ship which name I did not get on paper. So, you have 5 ships, with Century the smallest I believe, all tendering at once. And all those people. And all that congestion in George Town. Enough said - they need to think about limiting the amount of people in town at anyone time but that's my personal opinion and selfish desire.

Had one shore excursion in the afternoon which was the Key West Pub Crawl, hosted by the outrageous Phil. We went to The Lazy Gecko, Flying Monkey, Schooner Wharf (great live music) and ended at Ricks. Lot of fun with a great group of people i.e. no out of control drunks. DH loved every rum punch he had. I stuck with the beer as I've learned my lessons early about hard liquor and the heat/humidity. Spent the morning in the little shops by the pier and basically had a splendid day.

Read 741 Key West Reviews