Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by ATG: Freedom Eastern

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Freedom Eastern

Sail Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We just returned from the 1/31 sailing and had a great time in spite of the weather.

Embarkation - we drove to Port Canaveral and arrived about 11:00. We were on the ship by 11:45. The slowest part was getting pictures for the sea pass. Ship is very nice and we did not notice any aging or things needing care.

Cabin - after reading about the junior suites on this board, we decided to try one. It was great! We liked it better than the grand suite we had last time. The closet had more than enough room for all the hanging clothes and the wall of shelves held everything else. The chair and ottoman were comfortable. The couch was OK - since it folds out into a bed it was a little hard. The bed was nice. I like a soft mattress and it was very comfortable. We had our steward switch out the duvet for a blanket (I don't like the weight of a duvet). The room was plenty big enough for the 2 of us.

MTD - we are diamond and have cruised about 20 times before. I was More skeptical about this, but we decided to try it. I am now a convert. We had dinner in the dining room 5 times and had the same waiter 4 of those. The service was very good - I did not see a reduction in the level of service. I thought the food was better than it had been on our last cruise on Jewel about 2 years ago. It was not 5 star - but very good. I had the grilled chicken breast off the alternative menu and it was quite good.

Breakfast & lunch - we used both the dining room and WJ. WJ was crowded, but not too bad. Food was good, not great. Always plenty of options. My DH thought the burgers were good. Dining room was good. My only big complaint was the woman seating people at lunch in the MDR. I know it is considered anti-social, but we like to sit by ourselves. At breakfast this never seemed to be an issue. But at lunch you would have thought we had asked for the moon! Her attitude was quite obnoxious.

Sorrento's and Promenade Cafe - Pizza was good and panini was very nice. Sandwich selection at Promenade seemed limited. After our day at St. Thomas, we went down for a snack (we had missed lunch) and all they had was smoked salmon. I thought that was a little strange. Coffee was very good.

We tried to go to one of the shows, but all the seats were either occupied or being saved. Since we have seen many shows, this really did not matter. We enjoyed the piano player at Schooner Bar a few evenings.

Coco Cay - it was misting rain in the morning and we decided to wait. By late morning it was a tropical downpour. They brought everyone back and we sailed early. Disappointing, but understandable. The WJ was VERY crowded at lunch since there were not many other options.

St. Thomas - we went to St. Johns and Trunk Bay. Very nice beach.

St. Martin - went to Marigot and shopped. Highlight was lunch at a French bakery. The bread was one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Weather - I'm sure RC would have asked for better weather. After rain at Coco Cay we had a great 3 days of weather. But on the last 2 sea days we had cool, rain and WIND. The TV had a channel showing position, etc. It also showed "apparent wind" which factored in the actual wind and the ship's speed. It reached 61 mph on Saturday. WOW!

All in all, a good vacation. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>