Carnival Victory Cruise Review by JUST TRIPPIN'

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Victory Cruise Review by JUST TRIPPIN'
Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: JUST TRIPPIN'
Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Value-for-Money 5+

Cruising with the Victory Family
This was the first ever cruise for my wife and I and before I type another word, let me say the best thing we ever did was to join the roll call for this vacation. Not only did we learn everything we would need to know, we met the most incredible, warm and friendly people one could ever ask for. After just passing 2700 postings, a good sized novel, we embarked on the trip of our lifetime.

We are Canadian but live near the U.S. border. We chose to fly out of New York state as it was almost 60% cheaper to do so. We had transfers coming and going, but it wasn't that bad for travel rookies.

We stayed in San Juan at The Marriott Renaisance La Concha, located in the Condado district. The hotel was more than we could have asked for. With some help from one of our roll call friends we got a great price using Priceline dot com We had read about the noise/music around the pool area late into the evening, but it didn't bother us. After having dinner we returned to sit on our 2nd floor balcony and listen to the music. It was like having a front row seat at a concert. I do remember waking up briefly around 3:00am and still hearing the music, but it was just loud enough to lull me back to sleep. Do not hesitate to stay here, it is great.

The next day we headed to the ship. Having our new roll call friends with us who had cruised many times before helped, but looking back there was nothing there that we could not have figured out. We arrived around 11:30am and were some of the first to board at around 12:30-1:00pm.

I like to take a few seconds to talk about the whole liquor issue. No, we were not allowed to bring any liquor other than a bottle of wine or champagne each. Could you? I'm sure lots did, but you will have to look at other posts to answer that question. Here's the surprising thing we found as well as most everyone else we talked to. This cruise is so port intensive that you were always on an island drinking the much less expensive local stuff. By the time you got back to the ship, had dinner, watched a show or hit a bar you were just so tired that all you wanted to do was go to bed. When you get up early everyday and are in the fresh air, it really takes it out of you. We did acquire some liquor and lots of canned pop in our room, but we never put a dent in it. Everyone had lots left by the end of the trip and were just disposing of it. It was really a waste to bring that much on this particular itinerary.

I remember our first site when we got to the Lido deck. One of our roll call friends who had taken the cruise back to back was waiting up next to the Jumbo Tron waving frantically at us as she said she would. After the group hugs we all settled down to some food and buckets of beer and got to know each other. At this point we were hooked on cruising.

Although we knew it would be, the food was better than at any land vacation we had ever taken and the room was comfortable and quite nice. As far as the dress code, we were a little disappointed. My wife and I like to dress up for the occasion. I had taken a suit for the formal nights and my wife had two beautiful long dresses. Looking back I could easily have just worn my sport coat and tie and my wife a casual short dress. On all other nights, it seems anything goes.

We usually bypass the entertainment when at an "all inclusive", but we decided to try going to a few shows. We enjoyed everything we saw. The comedian was great although we never did manage to stay up late enough (midnight) to see his adult show. The juggler was the best surprise. He was also a comedian and he had me in stitches. The other show we saw was the music review. We're both 70's and 80's fans so this show provided lots of good sing-a-long music. The casino still took our money, but at least it took it slowly. We're not gamblers just recreational slot machine junkies.

Seeing that both of us were new to cruising, we both decided to wear the infamous patches behind our ear. I wore my first one but found the side effects to be worse than whatever else I could possibly be feeling without one. I could not drink enough to get rid of my dry mouth and my stomach was upset. By the third day I ditched the patch and all was good. Next time I think the ginger pills may be the way to go. We were surprised at how much we felt the ship swaying while dining, sleeping or better yet showering. Not enough to knock you down, just enough to be noticeable. By the way, it's after you are back on land at the end of your vacation that I wish someone would have told me about. A week later and I'm still swaying in the shower.

Overall would we do this again? In a minute. At no time did the ship ever feel crowded, but that would be due to the itinerary. At no time did we ever experience rude or angry passengers. Quite the opposite. It seemed like everyone was having the time of their lives. We both do believe that the fact we made so many new friends prior to this trip was the reason we now rave about it. Either way, it was easy to meet new people on board. We can't wait to do it again. Maybe a few seadays next time though. We spent the last day in San Juan waiting for our flight by taking a tour. Right as you leave the pier, there are many people there asking if you would like a tour. For $25 each you can take a driven tour of San Juan (with your luggage) and get dropped off at the airport in time for your flight. We were able to get out and walk around old San Juan and even had time for lunch. Don't hesitate to do this if you have a late flight.

Port reviews to follow...click on link below.

Publication Date: 02/07/10
Read the Southern Caribbean ports review by JUST TRIPPIN'
More Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews