Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Stevealan: Mariner of the Seas Decline in Service

Stevealan

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas South America & Antarctica Cruises

Mariner of the Seas Decline in Service

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: South America & Antarctica

First of all, it seemed like a totally different ship to me than the Mariner we sailed a year ago from Auckland to LA. The staff were not friendly and indifferent. The officers would pass in the hallways and not even make eye contact, let alone speak. Staff did their jobs in a very mechanical fashion. Hardly a smile or a greeting. We were appalled when a lady asked for a tray at the coffee shop, for example, and was told to call room service. The dining room was subpar to any ship I have ever sailed and we have been on over 25 cruises. The wait staff was greatly over extended. We had to make multiple requests for items such as iced tea, for example. We felt hurried with the waiters asking us for our desert choice when initially taking our order. One usually does not know if one wants desert or not until after the meal. The food budget had obviously been cut since the selections were far less desirable than on previous cruises.

On the whole, I would have to say we have had More superior food and service on Azamara, Celebrity and Holland America. I had to send dinners back twice and have never done that before on a ship. I have never heard so many passenger complaints on a ship. One lady said she had sailed over 1,000 days with Regent and will never sail again. Our experience on Azamara three weeks prior was so much better in every way; food, service and staff and yet at a third the cost. We will be canceling our 35 day trip from Capetown. I just do not feel comfortable on that ship anymore. There are serious staff morale problems and they have obviously cut food and staffing budgets. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 822

The cabins are the best part of the Mariner.They are spacious with a walk in closet and large bath although I would have preferred a shower to a tub